Spiritual Sex

Can sex be spiritual even when it is not called "spiritual sex" per se? Just musing out loud.

I'd posit that it can. Sometimes it happens spontaneously.

This is in contrast to magickal sex, which by definition harnesses the will of the participants and directs the energy raised into achieving a predetermined goal.

To the OP, be wary when researching Crowley. He was an undisputed asshole, including by himself. For a contemporary, try Dion Fortune (Wikipedia is a good start).

I saw that whole list of possible belief systems... It omits mine, so please don't consider it definitive. Keep exploring. OP, If your marriage is severely hampering your spiritual growth, I'd recommend leaving your marriage. But that is because I am of a system that places spiritual growth first and foremost.

I formally started studying magick in 1980, though I'd picked up a lot before then. In the '80s my social circle had a joke that anyone who mentions "tantric sex" is just looking to get laid. :D Mostly, that's proven true.

I've practiced what most would call "sex magick." It's NOT "hot," it's NOT "fun," it takes hours at a time, & it tends to leave you exhausted & NOT in a fun way.

IME, most people who bring it up couldn't even manage a credible session of karezza, & probably don't even know the word. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I did not mean to start any fights I just decided to join this forum out of boredom. And yes spiritual sex work doe's leave people tired and I have felt used up myself so it is not all fun. And games I just love to flirt but it depends on the person and place but unfortunately it makes me look kind of dumb to others. But I'am not I'am just different and women should be able to flirt if they want to and I don't think it is right to be judged for this.

Last edited:
I teach bellydancing and pole dancing and I work a fastfood restaurant server. And yoga Instructor while taking care of my sick wheelchair bound father with parkinson's disease and I'am a abstract painter but I have been taking art classes and dancing classes. So that I can become a tattoo artist and burlesque dancer and I love to read about mythology and mortuary science books so I can become a mortician and english teacher who teaches mythology and so I be able to teach Edgar Allen to other young people if things work out for me.

Last edited:
I have grown up homeless and without anybody to take care of me expect for my father who has suffered from many many heart attacks. Since I was 9 years old and I had to clean up after people almost all my life just to be able to take care of myself and of my sick father. And have never known any friends or relatives since my childhood due to my mother divorcing my father when I was only 3 years when my life was ruined but I'am trying to do better for myself and my father at age 20.

Last edited:
We have experienced ritual sex a few times in a private setting. Its not about sex its about the ritual and the symbolism of the goddess and god becoming one and making the earth fertile.
In our pagan group we do the same ritual clad and the marriage is simbolised with the dagger put in the chalice of mead.
In the pagan group this is done by a couple male and female.
The symbolism stays the same when doing it with you're partner and you engaging in sex.

Its a good experience and can bring you closer to nature and the gods. I personaly wouldn't want to do the sex part with other people around, although we are comfortable being naked in our pagan group we have never done rituals naked. We go to saunas with this group and than we are naked no problems there but a ritual feels to intimate to all of us so we skipped the skyclad part.

I did some reading on spiritual sex, because as a pagan I have to admit I had not come across it before! This is the link I used, and it explained in a way that may be helpful. It has some weird things like "ethnic music" and it's kinda offputting tho.

Sometimes it seems like someone would be against it based on the name rather than the practice of spiritual sex (which seems different than sex magick).
It seemed to me that spiritual sex is something that can happen without really needing to know what it is. From the reading I did, I've had it just naturally as an evolution of a relationship and if I'm not too up in my head, being stoned.

Maybe phrasing it as an evolution of intimacy rather than phrasing it in a pagany way?

At the same time, I would be concerned about your wife really not being willing to put the work into therapy that it needs and deserves. That would be hurtful.

These were my result and I find it interesting bc I was raised a Jehovah's witness and I know a bunch of Catholics and my fiance is from a catholic family and they are at the bottom of my list.
Neo-Pagan (100%)
New Age (89%)
Unitarian Universalism (78%)
Mahayana Buddhism (76%)
Theravada Buddhism (72%)
Liberal Quakers (58%)
New Thought (56%)
Hinduism (55%)
Secular Humanism (53%)
Taoism (52%)
Scientology (52%)
Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (50%)
Sikhism (46%)
Jainism (44%)
Reform Judaism (42%)
Nontheist (36%)
Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (36%)
Orthodox Quaker (35%)
Baha'i Faith (19%)
Seventh Day Adventist (18%)
Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (17%)
Orthodox Judaism (16%)
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (13%)
Jehovah's Witness (11%)
Eastern Orthodox (4%)
Islam (4%)
Roman Catholic (4%)

What are these percentages?

go back to page 3 of this thread. There's a link to a silly little quiz.

I got my result as:
Your answers most closely matched the beliefs of a
Theravada Buddhism

While I am practicing Vajrayana Buddhism and Tantrism.... raised as Hindu...

100%
Theravada Buddhism
96%
Unitarian Universalism
78%
Mahayana Buddhism
74%
Liberal Quakerism
70%
Jainism
67%
Hinduism
67%
Sikhism
65%
Secular Humanism
62%
Taoism
45%
New Age
41%
Neo-Paganism
38%
Orthodox Quakerism
38%
Scientology
37%
Liberal Christian Protestantism

34%
Atheism
27%
Reformed Judaism
27%
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
21%
New Thought
20%
Orthodox Judaism
19%
Jehovah's Witnesses
15%
Seventh-day Adventists
15%
Church of Christ, Scientist
12%
Conservative Christian Protestant
8%
Bahá'í Faith
8%
Roman Catholicism
8%
Eastern Orthodox Christianity
8%
Islam

Interesting quiz - and reasonably accurate at the top. I self identify as something like "demythologized Christian/Platonic/nondualistic Gnostic" - so the top results do intersect with my personal belief system in a number of ways. Certainly much (but not all) of New Thought which I studied extensively in my mid-twenties, and the inclination toward non-dualism of Buddhism and Christian Science (both would claim to be nondualistic in theory, but are not necessarily in practice). Taoism - only in the most abstract sense. With some of the religions lower on the list, I would rate them even less of a match than the quiz does.

New Thought
100%
MAHAYANA BUDDHISM
98%
CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST
96%
TAOISM
82%
NEW AGE
81%
SCIENTOLOGY
81%
UNITARIAN UNIVERSALISM
79%
NEO-PAGANISM
69%
LIBERAL QUAKERISM
67%
JAINISM
65%
SIKHISM
60%
HINDUISM
56%
LIBERAL CHRISTIAN PROTESTANTISM
55%
REFORMED JUDAISM
52%
SECULAR HUMANISM
51%
BAHÁ'Í FAITH
48%
THERAVADA BUDDHISM
43%
ATHEISM
40%
CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIAN PROTESTANT
34%
ORTHODOX QUAKERISM
34%
ISLAM
24%
CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS
19%
ROMAN CATHOLICISM
12%
ORTHODOX JUDAISM
12%
SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTISTS
11%
JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES
8%
EASTERN ORTHODOX CHRISTIANITY
4%

I took the quiz, too. The most interesting result was that i have 0% in common with the Jehovah's Witnesses! :p

I took it a while ago and got similar to AI99, and I'm Hermetic.

I started looking for a more spiritual dynamic in my sexual experience several years ago and was fortunate to connect with a local Tantric Healer.

Over the period of the next 20 weeks, 1 session a week it started becoming real clear of the high levels of sexual anxiety in my life. My teacher was 31 years old at the time some 30 years my junior. She was gorgeous, with a beautiful heart, first thing she taught me was come to the sessions with no agenda, everything was on the table, that was real hard for me but over time I started to relax, wow, what a difference. My erections other than early mornings were back on track and over the next 20 weeks she bought a transformation to my sexual experiences. I am now able to experience multiple full body orgasms without ejaculating, some lasting 15 minutes. For the first time in my life I was feeling sexually empowered and able to maintain my sexual energy without ejaculating for several hours.

Its changed my life and opened up a whole new world of sexual encounters.

Over this time I have read many books on Tantra, the best is probably anything my Margot Anand.

https://www.ecstaticliving.com/teachers/margot-anand

Back