Facebook

veganchick

How many of you in serious/marriage relationships list your relationship status as "open" on facebook? A couple of months ago when my husband and I got married we decided to keep our status as "open" instead of changing it because that seemed to fit us better.

What do you do and why? Just curious. :cool:

Do people really pay attention to that? I never even look at someone's status, I just read what's going on with them or look at their pics.

I've only ever had one friend comment on it - so I'd guess probably not.:p

But, since it's such a public forum, I wondered how many people on here were reluctant about laying it out on the line. That, and I wondered if the "marriage" option took precedent over the open relationship status.

I think mine says "interested in men and women for whatever I can get". No one has ever commented on it.

I had relationships+, where I listed myself as married with my husband, and in a relationship with my boyfriend.
Since I only have one partner now, it's not an issue.

I noticed before though that even if you said you were in an open relationship, you couldn't add someone if you already said you were in an open relationship with someone else. It said "this person is already in a relationship". It was stupid.

I noticed before though that even if you said you were in an open relationship, you couldn't add someone if you already said you were in an open relationship with someone else. It said "this person is already in a relationship". It was stupid.

We found the same thing when we tried to add married AND open relationship. Agreed- it is stupid!

If you really feel the need to - you can do it by using the 'featured people' option in your friends lists... uncheck the relationship status thingy and then add it how you like in the featured people bit.
How do I feature specific friends or groups on my profile?

In addition to your general list of friends, you can choose to feature specific friends (e.g., best friends, roommates or coworkers) or groups you're a member of in the left column of your profile.

Feature specific friends
You can either create new lists or feature existing friend lists. When you add someone to a featured list, they will receive a notification letting them know that you are featuring them on your profile. Follow these steps:

1. Click the "Edit Profile" button in the top-right corner of your profile.
2. Select "Featured People" from the left-hand menu.
3. Under "Featured Friends," choose to add either an existing friend list or create a new one.
4. When you’re done, click "Save Changes."

If you have selected multiple lists, you can change the order they appear on your profile. To do this, simply drag each list to where you’d like to place it. Then, click "Save Changes."

using this method - you could name your 'lists' whatever status you give whichever partner/s you are listing under it
haven't done it or tried it myself, but that is the accepted facebook way to do it at the moment :p

Last edited:
If you really feel the need to - you can do it by using the 'featured people' option in your friends lists... uncheck the relationship status thingy and then add it how you like in the featured people bit.

using this method - you could name your 'lists' whatever status you give whichever partner/s you are listing under it
haven't done it or tried it myself, but that is the accepted facebook way to do it at the moment :p

Just tried that, and it works. You don't need to re-enter whoever you already have entered in your relationship status, or they'll appear twice.

No I don't have open listed. There are people me being open would hurt. Why would I want to do that. I am not selfish enough to believe being outted matters. Those who know, know. Those who don't aren't likely close enough for me to care.

No I don't have open listed. There are people me being open would hurt. Why would I want to do that. I am not selfish enough to believe being outted matters. Those who know, know. Those who don't aren't likely close enough for me to care.

That is definitely a very understandable perspective. I suspect that many on here feel the same way. Being that I don't, at the moment, have anyone to protect, I'm all out there. :p Relationships are private and no one has a need to know beyond what you choose to share. I don't think sharing necessarily makes one selfish but I can see protecting the wishes/needs of others.

I have my relationship status listed as "complicated" and then I have a list called "My Beloveds" and it has both husband and boyfriend listed.

;)

Back