Doctor Who! (Possible "Spoilers!")

YouAreHere

So while I'm interested in the various polls and threads and discussions going on, does anyone here watch Doctor Who? THAT is what I want to talk about. :D

I won't start the first post off with any Spoilers, but I "squee'd" twice during the 50th, and had to explain my "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG" twice to my kids. They enjoyed it too, even if they had to put up with my fangirl giddiness. :)

Oh, and if anyone hasn't seen it, Peter Davison (#5) put together a fun little parody video that's a nice companion piece.

So... anyone?

I really enjoyed it. I was surprised by the tone however. It was a lot lighter for most of the show than I expected. I expected something much darker. I thought they really did a great job in living up to the expectations of a 50th anniversary special.

I expected it to be darker as well, but I love how Moffatt seemed to tie together a whole bunch of things - the time war, the events with the Time Lords in the End of Time (where the War Council basically pooh-poohs the High Council's "plans" that I'm assuming were the events in those episodes), the John Hurt character...

Loved the interplay among the three Doctors ("I'm reversing the polarity, you're confusing the polarity!"), and I loved how they brought Rose back without "bringing her back".

And Tom Baker!

And Peter Capaldi!

SQUEEEEE! :D

I squeed when I saw Capaldi, apparently Matt Smith IS the 13th, not Capaldi, so the mystery of only 12 regenerations is going to be solved in the Christmas special...looking forward....

Perhaps the Brits among us can explain what a Dickie-bo (sp?) is...?

Granddad, Dickie-bo, and Sandshoes. Loved it.
Cannot wait for the Xmas episode - I want to see how they get around the regeneration limit (unless they brought back the Sisterhood of Karn in the McGann/Hurt minisode to give us a bit of foreshadowing?).

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured, but didn't want to make assumptions. I figured I mangled the spelling as well.

I love me some Dr Who, was in fact catching up last night.
I haven't seen the 50th anniversary episode, but I am looking forward to it.
The BBC is always quick to take down youtube episodes. Gits! Might have to risk some bit torrent sites.

Yep, I was pretty much bouncing on the edge of the couch.

I tried to go back and watch the original series, but they just moved too slowly for my modern tastes. I used to catch Doctor Who on PBS when I was a kid, but I totally hated it. I didn't get it at all. I thought the scifi was cool so I tried to watch it, but I just couldn't follow it. British humour clearly is not made for 7 year old Canadians :)

I saw the Day of the Doctor on the big screen.. not 3-D. I squeed also.

I'm also wondering how they get around the regeneration limit. Although at a recent fan meeting someone pointed out that we ASSUME the first Doctor is the first ..... He never calls himself that... and there could have been others before him.

I've only been a fan for a few years.. but will do a DW marathon for a Saturday and caught up with a lot of the current.

At a convention I picked up some old VHS from the original series.. Quite fun to watch... bad acting, Brit humor and limited special effects.

Okay, not bad acting.. just very dated acting.

I can hardly wait till the Christmas special.. and hope to get invited to someone's house to watch it. (I don't have cable.)--- and it is delightful to watch with other Whovians.

I squeed as well, Especially when I finally saw Tennant return as the doctor.

I do love matt smith, but Tennant has a special place in my heart for being
in the first episode to make me cry.

I ADORE Doctor Who!

I'm not sure how to feel about the 50th anniversary.. o_O

I mean, on the one hand--TIME LORDS! They're out there! Gallifrey is out there, waiting to be found! Bad Wolf! Peter Capaldi! All the Doctors, working together! And he never destroyed his people!!

But on the other hand.. it was like Moffat was spitting in the faces of the writers SINCE THE REBOOT. The entire basis for the Doctor up until this point was that he destroyed his people, and that guilt weighing so heavily on him influenced almost all of his actions. And now it's like.. a BIG reset button. Like, NOPE, never happened! I read an article the other day about how Moffat can't write about grief, and it just.. seems to play on that, MAJORLY. If you can't write grief, you shouldn't be writing.. sigh.

But I did, overall, enjoy the special. And I'm so excited for what's coming. And I really hope Osgood (AND Clara, I love her) will be the Doctor's companion. I mean, the curator (him..) gave her the scarf, and she grew up with the thought that the Doctor will protect her, but then she can still save herself.. oohhh I just love her to bits!

Oh man. This was way longer than I intended. Well. You got me going on my favorite show. :3

-Elyse

Back