New to Poly

MLmoose

Hello everyone! My husband and I are new to polyamory and really trying to learn what we can before "jumping in." We just recently started looking into everything. Also, has anyone been able to carry on this lifestyle while not being "out" to family and friends? There are some people in our lives that could take this information and really mess up our lives as far as our children are concerned. Any advice or anything that you would recommend for us to look into would be great.

Greetings MLmoose,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

I am mostly "in the closet" as far as my polyness is concerned, only two or three of our family/friends know, and they're not spreading it around. It used to bother me to not be able to show public affection to my partner when we're around family/friends, but I guess I kind of got used to it and now it's just a slight inconvenience. You can do it, you just have to be "committed to the secret," so to say. Lots of people in poly do it, many for the exact reason you stated, that they do not want anyone messing with their lives as far as their kids are concerned.

Of course, the people on this forum know I'm poly, and people in the Albuquerque poly group know. (I used to live in Albuquerque.) But those are separate groups, not intermingled with our original family/friends. The few new/poly friends who have Facebook ties with me are smart about discretion, and do not mention my polyness when posting on Facebook.

Anyway, I am happy to do my best to answer whatever questions you may have. Here are a few helpful links for you:

That should help get you started on your poly journey! ;)
Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter" :)

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!

If I knew that somebody in my life would try and mess up my life because of my relationship choice, they would no longer be in my life. Why would you want someone in your life who has no problem doing you harm?

If I knew that somebody in my life would try and mess up my life because of my relationship choice, they would no longer be in my life. Why would you want someone in your life who has no problem doing you harm?

We are mostly concerned with my ex-husband. I have a child with him and in the past he has tried to use my sexual preferences against me in court to try to take her away. We do not really have the choice to have them in our life. At least for the next 7 years.

Back