Poly Dating Site?

Keith

How many of you would be interested in a free poly-oriented dating site?

I searched around some for poly dating sites but the few I found were either very poor in quality, or charged a fee.

I'm a web developer and I was thinking about making a decent free poly dating site. Would anyone be interested?

Sure. I'd like it to be a poly-friendly dating site, though--meaning it tries to attract those who are curious about poly, open to poly, or actively poly. That may seem to be an implicit assumption with a poly dating site; the difference is that a poly-friendly site actively reaches out to the mono masses to find those who might be poly instead of simply reaching out to the poly community to find members.

Absolutely. While I was running (brief) ideas through my head, I was thinking there would definitely be options to select monogamy as your status as well as what you were seeking.

I'm also always open to ideas and suggestions. If I decide to put the work into it, I would want it to be a smashing success.

I have experience in developing enterprise (Fortune 500) level web applications but I must admit I'm not much of a designer or graphic artist. I flourish when I'm working more on the back end rather than the front end. If anyone knows any designers who may be interested in going in on this with me, let me know.

Heck, I'd just call it Many Loves--so see if manyloves.com (or .net) is available.

I think that name works for both the poly connotation and for the idea that many people are seeking/finding love, whether mono or poly.

Well, I have ideas on how the profiles should work. Once common complaint among poly couples is that personals sites don't allow for profiles for couples--it's individual profiles only. I'm thinking there has to be a way to alleviate that without then locking couples into couples-only profiles.

See, my wife and I are not a package deal. If some woman wants to get involved with me, she doesn't have to also get involved with my wife (who is bi). Likewise, any woman getting involved with her doesn't have to get involved with me. As I'm straight, any men getting involved with her also aren't getting involved with me. To stick us with only a couples profile wouldn't be a good solution.

So I'm thinking having individual profiles available, couples profiles available, and the ability to strongly link individual profiles of couples/groups that identify as a unit would work to serve all the contingencies.

Hit me up in private if you're wanting more ideas tossed your way.

I'd love to see this, while I've never experienced a poly relationship and am pretty innocent to it, hell don't even know if I could be polyamory, I am extremely curious. Would love the chance to talk to more polyamory people in a more intimate setting such as this.

Heck, you're welcome to talk to us on the boards here, though there aren't many of us here as yet. If you want, you can even send messages direct to other members on here, so if you've got a burning question (or list of questions), feel free to send it.

I check in as regularly as I can around work (I'm usually on the road the first part of each week) and reply to all personal messages as promptly as I can. Board posts may have to wait a bit longer (as with this past week).

Hey there. If you're still interested in putting one together perhaps we can work together on this. I have a dating script about 85% complete that I spent a great deal of time modifying to work with having multiple "profiles" per account and not limited to one or two people. You can easily select if you are a single, couple, group, what you are looking for and what criteria etc. I ended up shelving it when I got swamped with other work!

Perhaps we can work on this together and get something decent for our community up!

Email me (or skype) at matt [at] ferrishyn.com and we can talk more details.

Maybe -- somehow -- your poly dating site could be integrated with this site, polyamory.com? It's a good URL! ... anyway, it's worth checking with Olivier about. Maybe Olivier already has other plans along similar lines?

I'd hold off on the URL name a bit. I can't say I like "many loves" because it could imply scattered diffuseness to some, with the word "many". Doesn't the word cell "poly" mean "multiple" rather than many? Multiple isn't a pretty word, though, but at least two or three are multiples --, and, honestly, who among us has time enough to be a lover to "many"? I surely do not. Three is my way upper limit. Two is probably my perfect fit.

I like the idea of providing as many choices as is practicable and reasonable in posting to a "dating" site. In fact, why make it a "dating" site? "Dating" implies so much! What if what I want to do is to find other polyfolk for friendship? Shouldn't this new site help facilitate that?

I was about to sign up at LovingMore and found their list of _______ seeking
________ problematically restrictive at the time. http://lovingmorepersonals.com/join.php?cmd=please_login Maybe it has changed since then? In any case, it's worth noting that not everyone is "seeking" while some that are not "seeking" would still enjoy meeting others for friendship (not dating) which they are open to having evolve into a loverly relationship. I'm one of those. I'm not really "seeking", but I'd be delighted if a new love came into my life.

Not everyone, seeking or otherwise, is into "dating", by the way. Some folks like to have friends and companions, activity partners..., etc., and if things start getting "romantic" then that's just how it goes -- even though there was no "dating" happening, per se. I've got nothing against folks "dating", if that's what they want. But not all folks open to or interested in meeting others who share points of compatibility (e.g., they are poly) are into dating, per se.

I'm involved in a GBQ mens' activities project which provides opportunities for queer guys to meet in social and recreational activity groups, for example. We plan on hiking trips, camping and backpacking, etc., and have a regular Saturday potluck picnic in the park. This isn't "dating", but it is surely attended by people who are open to meeting potential lovers or friends.

I'd be more than happy to offer this script to this site and get something setup. The term "dating site" may be misleading -- it can be used to match people up for not just dating, but friendship, business to business, etc. It's something I've been wanting to do and have a free, fully functional site that was a genuine benefit to the poly community.

Dating Sites--Poly style.

Hello Keith and everyone else that has commented in the Thread.

To begin with I've been on many Poly - Dating Sites:

PolyMatchMaker

PolyFriendsNetwork(Finder)

Loving More - was Moderator of forums at LM under handle of Lazaruslong until they went with new Beta site and now I can't even log into the Chat features or Forums :mad:

Pearz - which is no more.

And also have a profile at Ok Cupid

With all that experience you'd think I'd have better advise to give but alas all I can say is Good Luck.

Just Me,
Tim

I've often toyed around with the thought of building something as well, Keith... The web developer in me cringes horribly when I try to visit a lot of the poly-themed dating sites, but alas... paying projects have taken over my life.

On a the technical side of things, were you considering building something totally ground up? What language?

Hi all.

I just thought I'd throw out that I spent the last month creating a poly dating site, as my girlfriend and I had been having serious troubles meeting new people to join our relationship.

So, I created LoveMany.com, and it is a free, ad supported dating site. It supports couples and groups, and doesn't lock you into those groups. In fact, the way I set it up is that you set up individual user accounts, and then link them together as a couple or group account, which allows your individual accounts the freedom they need, and the ability to add and remove group members as your relationship dynamic changes.

The site is pretty much brand new, and has very few members, but I'd be happy to see new members join. And of course, as it is brand new, if you find anything you don't like, or anything you think should be done a different way, I'm very much open to suggestion.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy.

Regards
Chris

Just looked at it and it looks good.

The terms of use, however, chased me away. Your terms of service state that each user grants all copyright of their posted text and photos to you. The terms continue to say that all members also free use of anything posted in any fora they please.

That means the site owner and any other member could take my pix and use them wherever they please, for whatever they please, and I have nothing to say about it. It means they can take anything I post in my profile and also use it in any fashion.

Um...no. Not gonna use any site under such terms. I can't recommend that anybody else do so, either. Facebook just caught major heat for that sort of grab for rights and had to pare back what it wanted; I'm surprised any site tries to use such terms after that.

hmmm, hoping as its a new site, thats somehting that will get changed?!?! just kinda glazed over the TOU as usual since most of them are the same standard blah blah blah, glad I didnt put up any pics yet, grrr, got soooooo excited over the uber poly kindness.

will keep peeking and see if it changes at all

Sorry I haven't replied in so long. I've recently had a bunch of medical issues which has made it hard for me to spend much time online. That should change soon.

Chris, your site is looking pretty good. I'm a PHP/MySQL developer. I also know some Ruby. I'm not completely sure I want to start a completely new site if you already have one that serves the needs of the community. I'm looking for unity in the community, not competition.

I would like to offer my service as a developer if you're interested.

Back