OK cupid question

snlawesome

I had heard that OK Cupid was a site that worked well for looking for a poly relationship, so I signed up. And I must have done something wrong because I am not seeing anyway to specify that we are a couple looking for more. Any tips ?? :confused:

OKC does not have an option for "couples" seeking.
Best bet I would recommend is you each post your own profile, and include a note showing the partner's profile as well, and that you would be looking as a couple.
I have seen mods delete profiles that were from couples. And it would be hard to find matches as I'm sure you both would answer the questions slightly differently.
Just be honest about yourself and what you are seeking in the profile.

There's also a thread around here that shows members' okcupid profile name..

I have learned to write a better profile by reading LOTS of other profiles. --then I deleted mine when my relationships were going well...

It's also interesting when you find someone you already know.. and compare them to their profile.

Yes, OKCupid is very much a great place for polyamorists to meet other people open or already practicing poly. But that doesn't necessarily mean that you can create a profile there as a couple, since poly isn't automatically about couples finding thirds, of course. It is generally recommended and accepted that those already in committed relationships each have their own profile, since a couple is comprised of two individuals each with their own personalities, likes, dislikes, etc. It does help with the questions designed to find matches, as another poster already stated.

Many polyfolk will link to their partners' profiles at the top of their own and/or include pics of them together. If you are looking as a couple for someone to only be with both of you, your choices and responses will be much more limited than if you date separately but you have more of a shot at OKC than most other places.

Also try polymatchmaker.com - I believe they have a couple option for profiles (I'm not certain about that, though).

Polymatchmaker is a neat idea but they seem kinda...empty. I could only find like five people in the LA area and that was with VERY generous search terms.

ok thanks. We met on yahoo personals, so the online dating thing isn't new to us, but it's a whole lot more complicated this way LOL

My wife and I each have an individual profile on OKC as well as a profile we share. Also, relationship status of "Available" typically indicates poly or married, but not always. Often times its married but separated. Hope this helps and good luck!

"Available" can also mean "married and cheating" - it's always worth finding out exactly what that means for the individual, before assuming. :)

If you specifically wanted to find couples, polymatchmaker would probably be better than okcupid. (Except for the fact it's a smaller site with fewer members.)

With okcupid, if you see "Available" instead of "Single" as the relationship status, that's usually the closest thing to a poly flag you can get.

ALSO: Dig through the match questions. Be sure to answer any on polyamory and/or open relationships that they have. (As well as any regarding jealousy, etc.) Then rate them as Mandatory, or at least very important. Then when you look at another person's profile questions, click the option "Show questions I care about", to see how they answered them.

And of course you can say polyamory and polyamorous in your profile and do keyword searches for those who have done the same.

My experience is that is very common for people who are poly to mention it in their profile as well as list themselves as available or single as might be the case.

I know that if I saw someone listed as available and they didn't expand in their profile what that meant I probably wouldn't contact them.

how do you link profiles together ? I have seen people do it, and am thinking about trying it, but I don't know how!?!

OKC is a great site. When we were looking I posted as Married and had the details in my profile :)

Back