Religious survey

I was born and raised in Nichiren Buddhism, and I still practice to this day. I am actually a youth leader in my area.

I have studied paganism/wicca and Christianity. I have participated in ritual and gone to church.

As Strange as it sounds I am a very Conservative Christian. I do however have a more open view as to what God says in the bible about certain issues, polyamory being one of them of course. :)

Some Buddhists are anti-sex/desire.

Yes, some who identify as Buddhist are as such, and will even admit it if forced into a corner. But the Dharma isn't really about aversion toward desire, nor about asceticism, and many (esp. modern) Buddhists make a profound self-inquiry into desire by neither pushing it away nor running after it, flowing river like about it. Aversion and attachment are both considered problematic in
Buddhist thought, and aversion to desire is ... tadah! ... aversion.

Seems like a poll would be fun. Perhaps someone could mash these up into a nice poll:
http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

I was raised Unitarian Universalist and currently identify myself with Daoism (mostly because it's some fly ass shit that most people are unfamiliar with, if everyone was Daoist and no one was Buddhist, then I'd probably "be" Buddhist. ;) ) It also pairs well with teaching tai chi. :)

I am very atheist, like REALLY athiest. you see people tried to spread their faith in the streets? I do the same for atheism.

I am very atheist, like REALLY athiest. you see people tried to spread their faith in the streets? I do the same for atheism.

I have an ex that did that lol, it used to blow my mind that he was preaching atheism! seems like one would cancel the other out.

I am I guess eclectic, a little voodoo, santeria, witchcraft ect.. ect.. I believe in being good to others and yourself too

Wiccan, of the ecstatic rather than fertility type.

[Wicca has one type that's very into heterosexual imagery being a central part of ritual and doctrine (fertility), and one that's not (ecstatic) and leaves room for people to practice their sexuality magic in whatever form works for them. Guess which one the lesbian is part of? ;) ]

Atheist, but also a practicing witch (I believe God/Goddess is the wrong word for the right question, and that magic is energy based, not divinity based).

Quote:
"However, the Christian bible technically doesn't restrict polyamorous relationships either....."

Thanks for that, exactly my thoughts. In the way I was taught & from what I have read (growing up a Christian) the most important things the Bible addresses & Jesus addresses over & over is to love thy neighbor as yourself & treat the poor with kindness. I have no qualms with those ideas.
Bigotry is not welcome in my house.

I do believe in several whimsical/spiritual things mainly because in order to view the world in such a practical way, some spiritual is in demand to fill in the gaps, motivate me to live, motivate me to be nice to people, and for things to make any sense at all. For example, I believe I am an old soul, or maybe two souls in my body... perhaps I have had past lives, but I don't remember details, although sometimes I have feelings of deja vu. Sometimes I meditate. I was brought up in a Christian home, however the most spiritual deity I honor currently is 'the wind goddess'. Which, as she is fairly sporadic, my honoring of her is also at random moments in which I am walking to the car & feel the wind in my hair, or kayaking with the wind at my back urging me forward, or when I need a snarky reply to someone trying to convert me. Those moments inspire me, empower me, & make me smile. I believe for every yin there is a yang, in Karma, and in omens, but it's kinda something I take for granted, such as, "I'm a good person, thats why my life doesnt suck"... or "oh cool! I found a feather". One thing I think is imperitive is that I treat the poor & less fortunate with kindness & support. But a sociopath won't fool me. I take everything in life with a grain of salt, and a lemon too. I think that people are always growing, and that that IS the way to live. I believe moderation is best. My philosophy of life also includes the idea of polyamory. I believe that effort is rewarded even if you get a different reward than expected.

Last edited:
During my childhood and teen years I rarely went to church unless invited by a friend. Not because I didn't want to be part of a religion, but because my parents raised my sister and I to be open-minded. They didn't want to shove any certain religion down our throats. They wanted us to choose what was best for us.

Now that I'm an adult, I do identify myself as a Christian. It took a lot of time, conversations, and a healthy dose of church and Bible to help me make that choice. I would definitely not call myself a conservative Christian by any means. My fiance and I rarely make it to church because our lives are so hectic, and there are things that "Christians" teach that we feel isn't very "Christian" at all. One of my biggest issues before I ever became a Christian was the idea that God couldn't love gay people. Some of the kindest, most loving people I know are gay, and that includes my fiance who was exclusively gay before he fell in love with me. I feel that sometimes, Christians get a little too carried away with judging other people, when really, that job belongs to God.

We haven't told many people that we are poly because we live in a small town and it's just not something that is common here. But when I think about being a Christian or being the best Christian I can be, I focus on the love that God has for me and everyone else. God is supposed to love everyone unconditionally right? Well, that's what I believe. I focus on the love, not the hate.

Atheist here - cant imagine any religion or anything spiritual getting my attention without (scientific) evidence.

Here's a surprise: I'm a skeptic.

What this means in practice is that my focus is on the world of our common experience and on the challenges of living meaningfully and responsibly within it.

I regard as suspect any claims about what lies beyond that common experience: God or Universal Consciousness or Noumena or Material Substance or Strings or even the Absence of God.

We just can't get there from here, so why fuss? This world is rich and interesting enough without constantly puzzling, or declaiming, or menacing one another over what might or might not be behind the curtain.

I'm not going to say that the God I believe in is the end all be all. I'm also not naive enough to think that's the only possibility. I have an open mind. I am receptive to other ideas. Just because I have my beliefs doesn't mean that others don't have valid reasons for what they believe.

I'm Buddhist Pagan. With strong ties into witchcraft.
I'm new in the Poly scene, it's always been something I thought about, but never pursued.

Back