Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 PM

My favourite* one recently, was looking for "a sweet girl" who is "tender hearted" younger than them and did specifically say, she need not even BE bisexual, as long as she is "ready and willing to be a full part of our sex lives This is mostly directed to the man so there is no need to be bi at all." and finally, "Hope to hear from "our girl" soon"

Just...no. Needless to say, they don't want children, they are middle aged and want a younger partner.

*as in, worst ever...
Old 11-08-2013, 12:47 PM

That's not to say I have anything against middleaged people without kids btw, it is just the patronising, sex object way the profile was written that gets my goat.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Stealth Mod

Other bits I find irritating:
  • When they add something along the lines of "we've been looking forever but there are no real poly women out there" because any woman who isn't throwing herself at them is obviously not really poly and couldn't possibly have been turned off by their approach.
  • When they ask why they're having so much trouble finding their special real poly lady, then brush off every attempt made to show them where they could improve their chances.
  • When they try to prove they're not Unicorn Hunters by telling us about all the other (invariably short-lived) relationships they've had with previous Unicorns, then blame all the previous break-ups on the Unicorn rather than realising that they're the common factor in the equation.
I'm sure I'll think of more.

Edit: Ooooh! The big one:
  • The female in the couple isn't actually bisexual, but she's less squicked out by the thought of being involved with another woman than he is by the thought of being involved with another man so they're going to try sharing a girlfriend she'll have no actual interest in beyond possibly friendship.

Last edited by Emm; 11-08-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Location: English Rose by birth; Calling the Southern Hemi home by choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natja View Post
My favourite* one recently, was looking for "a sweet girl" who is "tender hearted" younger than them and did specifically say, she need not even BE bisexual, as long as she is "ready and willing to be a full part of our sex lives This is mostly directed to the man so there is no need to be bi at all." and finally, "Hope to hear from "our girl" soon"

Just...no. Needless to say, they don't want children, they are middle aged and want a younger partner.

*as in, worst ever...
The delivery and presentation are all wrong. Surely they cannot believe that ad would attract anyone...right?

My Blog
Old 11-08-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullofLove1052 View Post
The delivery and presentation are all wrong. Surely they cannot believe that ad would attract anyone...right?
Of course they do, why wouldn't they? It is what attracts them and surely they are allowed to look for whatever they want, because they know what works best for their relationship...and of course, they don't mind waiting until their perfect girl comes along........
Old 11-08-2013, 01:26 PM

Location: English Rose by birth; Calling the Southern Hemi home by choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natja View Post
Of course they do, why wouldn't they? It is what attracts them and surely they are allowed to look for whatever they want, because they know what works best for their relationship...and of course, they don't mind waiting until their perfect girl comes along........
Cringe worthy. I know people have preferences, but there is nothing appealing about that.

My Blog
Old 11-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Stealth Mod

Which brings us back to both the first and second points in my list.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullofLove1052 View Post
Ry, have you spent any time at all reading our "Personals" ad forum? All the ads similar to that. There is a huge volume of them. Just scan down the titles of the ad threads. Reading the actual ads is even funnier, if you want a laugh.

http://www.polyamory.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Members here are not allowed to address anyone on that forum unless we are unicorns interested in one of the couples. We are not allowed to set them straight on what is wrong with their hunt. So, all those ads there go unanswered. Do the couples there wonder why they get nothing but the sound of crickets to their ads?

A mod once told me the board in its early days was flooded with these kinds of ads in the Intros section. So, the admins created a forum for the ads. It's basically a garbage dump.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 63), dating... again!
Pixi (poly, F, 41) my darling nesting partner since January 2009
Master, (mono, M, 37), Pixi's Dom/bf since April 2013

Last edited by Magdlyn; 11-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverDwellers View Post
Now I find this enlightening, all this talk about triads and "unicorn hunters". So many terms for me, a newbie to learn. But what I come away from this, is that everyone just wants to make everyone else feel loved in the relationship. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be? I mean, when someone in your circle looks at you, don't you want to feel loved, wanted and respected? It seems to me that open communication is always the key and you should never do what you don't want to do or be "pushed" into being anything you don't want to be. We haven't found our "other" and don't know who it will be, whether its a man, woman or a couple. We aren't in any hurry and if it happens, it happens.

Personally, though, I hate titles and just think you should be free to love, like, feel affection for anyone you choose.
Hi, new person. Of course we are all free to feel love for whomever we choose. That is the foundation of polyamory. This thread's purpose is to point out what is wrong with the statement of yours above that I bolded. Not to personally attack you. But, having read this thread, you still don't see what is wrong when a couple say: "WE are looking for OUR other"? If you don't get it, there are probably other Unicorn Hunters reading here who also don't get it. sigh... Read this article for the pitfalls of being a woman trying to have a relationship with a couple. (And if you think your "special lady" will be fully equal, ie: co-primary, not a secondary, when the couple involved already has a house, mortgage, kids, years of shared history, etc., you're wrong. She will be a secondary for years to come, or until the breakup happens. People can be very territorial.)

http://www.morethantwo.com/polyforsecondaries.html
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 63), dating... again!
Pixi (poly, F, 41) my darling nesting partner since January 2009
Master, (mono, M, 37), Pixi's Dom/bf since April 2013
Old 11-08-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
A mod once told me the board in its early days was flooded with these kinds of ads in the Intros section. So, the admins created a forum for the ads. It's basically a garbage dump.
As easy as it is to laugh and to rage at unicorn hunters, there's something ineffably sad about this image: a garbage dump where certain kinds of poly dreams go to die.

<sigh>

Tags
adding a partner, attitude, expectations, love, one penis policy, opp, polyamory, polyfidelity, triad, truth, unicorn, unicorn definition, unicorn hunters, unicorn hunting, unicorns