Movies: That would have been better with a poly ending.

Someone mentioned Sam And Jared Smith from the Sex and the City movie...I totally agree! I don't know why Samantha never considered poly an option, anyway.

Also, why couldn't Carrie have a poly Vee with Big and Aidan? They got a along in a previous episode.

Also, about the Arthurian Legends; the two oldest known authors of the legends are Chretien of Troy and Sir Thomas Malory. In Malory's version, Lancelot loves Guinevere and has relations with her, and King Arthur HAS to be aware of it, but because he loves Lancelot as a knight and companion and also loves Guinevere, he allows their relationship to continue...very poly, especially for the 1400's.

Also, about the Arthurian Legends; the two oldest known authors of the legends are Chretien of Troy and Sir Thomas Malory. In Malory's version, Lancelot loves Guinevere and has relations with her, and King Arthur HAS to be aware of it, but because he loves Lancelot as a knight and companion and also loves Guinevere, he allows their relationship to continue...very poly, especially for the 1400's.

Oh, did you see the TV movie Mists of Avalon with Julianna Margulies? Might be found online somewhere, divided up into parts. Great, hot scene with Guinevere in bed with both Arthur and Lancelot.

Oh, did you see the TV movie Mists of Avalon with Julianna Margulies? Might be found online somewhere, divided up into parts. Great, hot scene with Guinevere in bed with both Arthur and Lancelot.

No I didn't! I need to see that now.

I'm so glad someone mentioned "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World." I completely thought that at the time. I mean why force a choice?
The first movie that came to mind for me however was "Imagine Me and You." Don't get me wrong... Piper Perabo is hot and when she has that realization that she's a lesbian you can see her face transform (one of the best moments captured on film).
That said... Her fiance was totally broken-hearted and you could tell that she loved him in her way. I think it would have been better if instead of running off with the other girl they just threw some poly in there and everyone wins.
It really hurt to see that guy get crushed (even though the end was still awesome), but I wanted everyone to have their cake and eat it too.
Side note: Why do people say that like it's a negative thing sometimes? Have their cake and eat it too. I mean- what the hell else are you expecting someone to do with cake once they have it? Every time I buy cake it's only for one purpose- so I can eat it!

I'm so glad someone mentioned "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World." I completely thought that at the time. I mean why force a choice?
The first movie that came to mind for me however was "Imagine Me and You." Don't get me wrong... Piper Perabo is hot and when she has that realization that she's a lesbian you can see her face transform (one of the best moments captured on film).
That said... Her fiance was totally broken-hearted and you could tell that she loved him in her way. I think it would have been better if instead of running off with the other girl they just threw some poly in there and everyone wins.
It really hurt to see that guy get crushed (even though the end was still awesome), but I wanted everyone to have their cake and eat it too.
Side note: Why do people say that like it's a negative thing sometimes? Have their cake and eat it too. I mean- what the hell else are you expecting someone to do with cake once they have it? Every time I buy cake it's only for one purpose- so I can eat it!
+1
I've never seen "Imagine Me And You". But I may give it a download and watch. =]

...I wanted everyone to have their cake and eat it too.

It's a pet peeve of mine whenever someone says this, so please don't mind me...

What that saying means is that someone still wants their cake after they've eaten it. You want to have your cake (hold on to it) and eat it too (gobble it up). It's a comment on greed and being spoiled. Even though you have this good thing and use it up you still want it, as if it's an endless supply. Perhaps it is more obvious if you reverse it: "I want to eat my cake and have it too."

Why do people say that like it's a negative thing sometimes? Have their cake and eat it too. I mean- what the hell else are you expecting someone to do with cake once they have it? Every time I buy cake it's only for one purpose- so I can eat it!

The French equivalent is "to have the butter and the butter money". The meaning is clearer. If you want to understand the English saying, try reversing it: "you can't eat your cake and still have it".
Still, nothing says you're not allowed to get two cakes >.>

Cast Away

I was in my peak poly-blossom when I saw Cast Away for the 2nd time a year and a half ago (saw it when it was released, too, but didn't reflect around the possible poly theme then).

This time I found myself feeling furious :D about the fact that Tom's caracter had to leave the love of his life cause she was married with children while he was away, presumed dead.

Her new hubby seemed to be understanding of their love and he acted kindly in the siuation, but there was no question about it... Tom had to go..
I felt so puzzled at the time, and I had to laugh at myself.

The film would have been so much nicer, I think, with a poly ending..

I never thought about "Cast Away" but that one would; have been a very good Poly movie. Especially they did loosely imply that the child was Tom's not the other fellows.

Another TV show, sorry:

I was watching a rerun of Friends last night. The one where they go to the beach house with Phoebe, who is looking for this friend of her parents so she can find her father. She meets Teri Garr, whose character is also named Phoebe, who tells her she's her actual birth mother. Phoebe asks how that happened, and Teri Garr says, "Well, how do I say this? Your parents and I were a couple."

Would've been really cool if they somehow played up that story line. Obviously, they couldn't bring Phoebe's adopted mother back because she had killed herself, but somehow...

Oh, there were so many poly opportunities on Friends! They could've had Janice seeing two of the guys, or had two or all three of the women dating one guy and try to work it out.

Okay I haven't seen them mentioned and if they were I apologize. A movie DH and I both agreed should have ended Poly long before we were poly is

Chasing Papi - He wasn't a cheating bastard, he was just in love with three women for very different reasons! (Looking at them can't blame him!)

and My Girlfriend's Boyfriend - she is alone, meets a nice guy, wait, meets another nice guy!

Okay another slightly off topic but in the same gender. I have been a long time reader of the daily comics and today it suddenly hit me the Comic strip

"9 Chickweed Lane"

could also easily develop in to a poly comic strip as well. Unless you have been following this strip for a long time you might miss the connection.

seems like if Jurassic Park had been polyamorous what with the kids and the old man, the main characters and all the terror, it would have been riveting but a LOOOT longer.

Enchanted could have been helped with polyamory. It also would have driven home that the, "Happily ever after, love for only one" isn't the only relationship expectation one could have.

and My Girlfriend's Boyfriend - she is alone, meets a nice guy, wait, meets another nice guy!

Uh, that would have been difficult considering the one guy was a fictionalized, only-in-the-novel version of the real life guy. She wasn't ACTUALLY dating two guys. :p

I think Maureen in Rent is poly, but instead of finding people to date who she could be open and honest with she went for mono people who couldn't handle her having multiple relationships, so she lied and cheated.

I was listening to the soundtrack today and Maureen IS sort of selfish about it, in a "This is how I am, take it or leave it" sort of way, but the characters put up with it instead of all of them TALKING about it! C'mon, couldn't you fit in dealing with poly along with AIDS and being gay in the 90's?? :p

Back