polyamory: related terms

Ravenscroft

Banned
Things that pop up when I'm browsing. Looking for input.

Thought #1: is it possible to feel compersion if not involved in any way in a nonmonogamous lifestyle?

Thought #2: when did the term throuple actually appear? Someone told me that Dan Savage claims the term. The only relevant reference I can find in Wikipedia is filed under "Polygamy in Australia" (weird enough), nearthe end yet, but not at all under "Dan Savage." And that mention seems to indicate that these claims go back to at least 2013. I would really appreciate if people would flag any well-dates uses of the term they happen to spot.

Thought #1: is it possible to feel compersion if not involved in any way in a nonmonogamous lifestyle?

The Wiktionary has the follow definition:

Compersion
1.The feeling of joy one has experiencing another's joy, such as in witnessing a toddler's joy and feeling joy in response.
2.The feeling of joy associated with seeing a loved one love another; contrasted with jealousy.

Which coincides with my first thought after I read your question - that although (if I understand correctly) the word compersion was invented to describe the polyamorous sentiment of experiencing joy when seeing our partner find joy with their other partner/s (as in #2 above), I could imagine the word being used in a non-romantic, nonsexual way as well (as in #1 above). Interesting question.

#1. I think that word has been around around long enough that it could be used in a non-poly context, unless you are holding steadfastly to the original definition (#2 in AL99's example).

#2. This is the first time I've seen the word "throuple".

Back