Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Site Usage > User Guidelines & Forum Features

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Banned

I'd like to see someone lead from the front. Like, anyone.

The case has been implied that "lots of people will use it."

Nobody's yet started a thread (maybe in Fireplace) about "the unique challenges faced by LGBTQIA+ people."

Nobody's launched a new Social Group.

Or resurrected Gay, Bi-, Queer Poly with even one post (since last April).

Lively traffic in a relevant thread/group would be proof of concept, & support the case for a seperate (but equal ) super-Forum with only one Forum (like Site Usage) or a Forum in general Polyamory. (However, as any registered user can jump in, I'm baffled as to how this would be any different from just starting a thread. )

If people want a clubhouse, they ought to get together & build one, rather than ask that someone build it for them.

If they don't think it's worth the effort, then it's probably not worth the effort.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenscroft View Post

If people want a clubhouse, they ought to get together & build one, rather than ask that someone build it for them.

If they don't think it's worth the effort, then it's probably not worth the effort.

It reminds me of when someone writes a persuasive article or speech and people moan, "but it doesn't express *all* points of view!!!"

What that means is it doesn't express *their* point of view.

If you want an article or book that expresses *your* point of view, write one.

/end
Old 02-12-2018, 12:19 AM

Good to see you back, River.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:24 AM

I guess the question is: 'why have a separate space?'

In the broad community, there is still an element of derogation or ostracism of LGBTIQ people. I would like to think that you don't experience that here and that you don't need to protect yourself from discriminatory views. Indeed, I think for many people it would be hard to be both polyamorists and stridently male-female oriented. I'm a male that has only ever been attracted to females, but partly because of my experience over the past decade loving more than one person, I see that as a personal choice and not something that carries any moral or genetic weight. But: If you feel you could post more safely and honestly in other areas, then yes i strongly support a new area.

Sentinel

Last edited by Sentinel; 02-12-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
other areas ... a new area.
Hola & welcome back!!

But please define what YOU mean by those terms.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM

Raven, as far as I can tell, you're straight, at best homocurious. Why do you want a separate LBG or Transgender/Queer space more than we do?

I will not guess out loud.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 63), dating... again!
Pixi (poly, F, 41) my darling nesting partner since January 2009
Master, (mono, M, 37), Pixi's Dom/bf since April 2013
Old 02-15-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Raven, as far as I can tell, you're straight, at best homocurious. Why do you want a separate LBG or Transgender/Queer space more than we do?

I will not guess out loud.
He doesn't "want" one. He wants people who want one to stop talking about it and start doing something about it. It seems to me right in line with what some other folks have suggested, with actual suggestions on ways to make it happen.

That's just how it seems to me. I'm sure he'll explain it too.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 PM

Hi PurpleSun,

I would use a queer space on the forum. And that is my favourite RuPaul quote, apart from "If you can't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else?". Thanks for posting!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
Raven, as far as I can tell, you're straight, at best homocurious.
A couple years back, I told the story of how I was denounced as being "not very bi" because I hadn't recently had more than flirtations with guys. Good to see that someone's watching our "dance cards" to keep the riffraff out.

I was on the planning committee of the BECAUSE Conference back in 1994. Makes this kind of a "you tell me" moment, eh?

The HuffPo article tickles me, because I served on the committee with Lou, & Victor is a puffed-up peafart who did nothing at the beginning, either preparation or execution, but claim credit. Actually, an early impetus was a zine, Politically Incorrect, that he sorta co-edited with Elise Matthesen, the title referring to how bisexuality was treated as "on the fence" rather than a valid relational choice of itself.

As for the underlying question:

If one or two people want to start something, then (per my clubhouse analogy) they ought to START something rather than playing the "if you build it, they will come" myth, emphasis you.

The first clubhouse will probably be small & rickety. If enough people show up, though, it proves a large, solid clubhouse deserves consideration.

I'm not totally satisfied that "bisexual" is somehow interchangeable with "homosexual" or "queer" or anything else. (Again, as detailed in previous posts.) But so long as everyone remains aware that they're NOT somehow "pretty much the same thing" (like polyamory & swinging ), what's the harm?
Old 02-24-2018, 04:40 AM

I'd use it for sure

Tags
gay, lesbian, lgbtq, lgbtqia, polyamory