The "How Are You Doing" Thread (redux)

I was just wondering how you were doing! Cool.

Good timing on my part. :)... I am back home next week.. for a whole week.. Holy smoke, 7 days in my own bed...

I might have to have a party haha.. :)..

I am blessed. Life is good.. I really have no right to complain about anything.. hahaha.. doesn't mean I won't one in a while haha ;) hahah

Actually.. the honest truth. The best way to build sports muscles is to play the sport.

When I used to coach and train teenagers, that truth really does work. You can have an incredible and powerful squat, and not jump worth beans.

The best way to build strength for sprinting is to sprint a lot,... and supplement that with working out :)...

If you goal is athletic.. play the sport as much as you can and supplement the athletics with the workout :D..

There is still something to be said for training the muscle groups that you are going to be using the most often to help strengthen them and hopefully cut down on the potential for injury. It might not make you play the sport better right off the bat but not being injured helps you play the sport longer and get better at it.

There is still something to be said for training the muscle groups that you are going to be using the most often to help strengthen them and hopefully cut down on the potential for injury. It might not make you play the sport better right off the bat but not being injured helps you play the sport longer and get better at it.

I agree. Those support muscles and the extras need to get worked. :).. I am just saying.. "if you wanna skate better, skate more"..

the best ballers all played 8 hours a day.. they didn't hit the gym..

and yes, I just said baller.. haha

Yay for home!

Good timing on my part. :)... I am back home next week.. for a whole week.. Holy smoke, 7 days in my own bed...

I might have to have a party haha.. :)..

I am blessed. Life is good.. I really have no right to complain about anything.. hahaha.. doesn't mean I won't one in a while haha ;) hahah

I hope you enjoy being home, Ari! And I myself am a believer in the notion that a little venting does us good :D

I agree. Those support muscles and the extras need to get worked. :).. I am just saying.. "if you wanna skate better, skate more"..

It's the eye/hand/body coordination. No amount of pumping iron or working out will build that. If you want to get better at something that requires to to move in certain ways to accomplish certain things (shooting basketballs, hitting baseballs, thunking people with sticks), then go out and do them and build the most important thing of all: muscle memory.

As for how I'm doing? The whiplash back to reality is throwing me into a deeper funk then before. It's a slide into depression that's hard to stop, so tonight I'm going out to play some board games with some friends and hopefully have a good time.

Actually.. the honest truth. The best way to build sports muscles is to play the sport.

When I used to coach and train teenagers, that truth really does work. You can have an incredible and powerful squat, and not jump worth beans.

The best way to build strength for sprinting is to sprint a lot,... and supplement that with working out :)...

If you goal is athletic.. play the sport as much as you can and supplement the athletics with the workout :D..

Yup. I do that. 2 hours, 2X a week. And at the end of it, my back is seizing on me. So what I need (and I did see Derby reply somewhere down the line, but have to go look) is something that will be supplemental and help the muscles that are so seriously out of shape work properly.

:p

I need a place where I CAN skate more. I was told not to skate in on wet pavement. So .... living on the Wet Coast :cool: I need to find other ways to strengthen muscles while we're enjoying the liquid sunshine... :rolleyes:

"if you wanna skate better, skate more"

Just to address this because I see someone else has responded to it as well - I already skate "well-(ish)" its not my skating skills I need to work on - those are coming along nicely.

Its the "OMFG I CAN'T MOVE" pain in my back that is fairly common (i've been told) when you first start skating that I need to work out.

If my back didn't seize - I'd happily skate through the cardio issues, through the cramps in my shin, through the numb feet... but my back seizes and I need to find a way to prevent that.

Just to address this because I see someone else has responded to it as well - I already skate "well-(ish)" its not my skating skills I need to work on - those are coming along nicely.

Its the "OMFG I CAN'T MOVE" pain in my back that is fairly common (i've been told) when you first start skating that I need to work out.

If my back didn't seize - I'd happily skate through the cardio issues, through the cramps in my shin, through the numb feet... but my back seizes and I need to find a way to prevent that.

Try skating in the other direction for a while. I find my back seizes up after a while of skating left. Also stretching out your lower back before and after can really help a lot.

I have a bad back and while I can't skate to save my life, I have learned some tricks to keep it from siezing when I am going to be active. I start taking Nsaids (ibuprofin and the like) the day or two before and I do light stretching and warm up the muscles. Then when I get home it's more nsaids and a hot shower. If it's the lower back it could be you're hamstrings are too tight. I thought my physical therepist was crazy but once I started stretching them daily it made a huge difference in my back. I do it before I get of bed, after any exercise and before bed. Lay on your back feet on the floor knees bent. Put your right ankle on your left knee then lift your left leg towards your chest. then do the other side. To strengthen the back lay on your stomache arms under your chin or straight out in front of depending on which is better. Lift both legs up and then lift your chest up. Kind of like superman flying. Hold for a few seconds then relax. Do as many reps as you can.

If it's your upper back I've got nothin'. :) All my issues are L5 and lower. Good luck!

I have a bad back and while I can't skate to save my life, I have learned some tricks to keep it from siezing when I am going to be active. I start taking Nsaids (ibuprofin and the like) the day or two before and I do light stretching and warm up the muscles. Then when I get home it's more nsaids and a hot shower. If it's the lower back it could be you're hamstrings are too tight. I thought my physical therepist was crazy but once I started stretching them daily it made a huge difference in my back. I do it before I get of bed, after any exercise and before bed. Lay on your back feet on the floor knees bent. Put your right ankle on your left knee then lift your left leg towards your chest. then do the other side. To strengthen the back lay on your stomache arms under your chin or straight out in front of depending on which is better. Lift both legs up and then lift your chest up. Kind of like superman flying. Hold for a few seconds then relax. Do as many reps as you can.

If it's your upper back I've got nothin'. :) All my issues are L5 and lower. Good luck!

Hey thanks for that! All related to lower back - and i will start making sure I stretch my hamstrings and do the superman thing :) Mucho appreciated :D

I am doing AWESOME! TL won his MMA fight last night! I am so proud of him! He is such a great guy with great skills! I was the proudest person in the room last night!

I am doing AWESOME! TL won his MMA fight last night! I am so proud of him! He is such a great guy with great skills! I was the proudest person in the room last night!

Yay!!!!!!! Karma and I both needed that smile! Give your man a hug for me! And a massage.

How am I? Well I just got an e-mail on FB that I originaly thought was a continuation of a disagreement Karma and I were having. Opened it to find it was from someone I long ago removed from my life and never had desire to hear from again. Still working on putting my heart back in my chest and figuring out what to do about it.

NY State just legalized marriage equality (gay marriage)! Yippee!

Back