Poly and Bible arguments

Precious1

I put this together as a note for my facebook page for the more religious leaning folks I know:

It's OK to Love more than One

I've heard arguments that God forbids it, or that having more than one partner is a sin.

But I've read the good book cover to cover (thanks Catholic school), and the Bible nowhere explicitly gives a "thou shalt not marry multiple wives" command.

In the New Testament, a polygamist is ineligible for church leadership (1 Timothy 3:2, 12; Titus 1:6), but polygamy itself is still not forbidden.

Some say Polygamy was not God’s original intent, citing Genesis 2:24; Ephesians 5:22-33, but even they must recognize it was also something He allowed (think Jacob, David, and Solomon). The closest the Bible comes to forbidding polygamy is Deuteronomy 17:17, which is properly understood as God’s command against a king of Israel taking many wives. It cannot be understood as a command that no man can ever take more than one wife.

What is wrong is lying, deception, secrets, cheating, not following through on promises and vows., and you can be monogamous (or serial monogamous) and still do those things.

In my heart, loving and partnering (since the US Gov't does not recognize multiple concurrent marriages) with more than one can be ethical.

Is everyone involved in agreement? Do they love, honor, and cherish each other? Are commitments and promises kept?

Some call it polyamory, some call it ethical non-monogamy. Not everyone is wired for monogamy, as not everyone is wired for heterosexuality. I do not believe any person should be forced to live in the societal constructs of "normal" when the loving relationships do no harm to those involved or to others. Others' loving more than one is no threat to your monogamous committed marriage if that is the way in which you choose to live your life.

Oops, Perhaps we have a moderator move the thread.
I have this forum bookmarked and had totally forgotten about the Spirituality forum.

Back