Wanna Hang Out (Not Have Sex)

I live in Springfield, MO. I joined a couple poly groups on Yahoo but the nearest people live fourty five minutes away and don't even talk on the Yahoo group so I doubt they'd talk much in person. If anyone lives in or near Springfield let me know.

I live in Springfield, MO. I joined a couple poly groups on Yahoo but the nearest people live fourty five minutes away and don't even talk on the Yahoo group so I doubt they'd talk much in person. If anyone lives in or near Springfield let me know.

Not quite true actually. I live in Ontario, Canada. I don't participate a lot on some lists but I love to talk in person. I DO have a life aside from the computer and have decided to live it instead of a very unfulfilling cyber life. Maybe those who are 45 minutes away are just busy living life and haven't even noticed yet that someone new & fairly local has joined the group.

The groups I tend to be more active on are a mish mash of people from all over the world & from all walks of life.

They have talked on the groups occasionally since I joined, and I occasionally talk to them personally on Yahoo instant messenger. People are just so indecisive or indifferent to meeting in person. To top it all off, they would have to come to me since I have no car and 45 minutes one way just to hang out is a bit of a drive.

For those who feel in the middle of nowhere - have you considered Skype? If all of you are signed up on it, its use is free. For those of your family, friends and beloveds who are not wishing to sign up on it, you can have an account to use that is still much cheaper than standard long distance.

For those who feel in the middle of nowhere - have you considered Skype? If all of you are signed up on it, its use is free. For those of your family, friends and beloveds who are not wishing to sign up on it, you can have an account to use that is still much cheaper than standard long distance.

Its free if it is skype to skype. So it is much cheaper than LD :)

We are also Skype users. It's a great option if you don't mind being tethered to your computer. For less than $3.00/mo you can have unlimited calling anywhere in North America. That allows you to call anyone even on their cell or landline. Downside is - YOU have to initiate the calls.

GS

Hey GS,

support.skype.com/faq/FA331/What-is-an-Online-Number

You can buy a number through skype that is callable now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
... If anyone lives in or near Springfield let me know.

What school are you attending in Springfield? I no longer visit Springfield for work (changed jobs), though an occasional visit isn't out of the question.

Hey GS,

support.skype.com/faq/FA331/What-is-an-Online-Number

You can buy a number through skype that is callable now :)

Yep, true Ari.
But same issue in general - at least as I last understood it. The incoming 'ring' comes to your computer - so still tethered/dependent.
Unless................
I know there are also 'Skype' IP phones and last I looked the prices weren't astronomical but still beyond maybe what a lot of people are willing to cough up.

The whole VOIP thing is still evolving and is likely where we'll all end up before long. Good bye to landlines - which I have a lot of mixed feeling about. If you look back, the good old phone system has probably been the most trusted & reliable piece of technology invented since the wheel :)

GS

Yep, true Ari.
But same issue in general - at least as I last understood it. The incoming 'ring' comes to your computer - so still tethered/dependent.
Unless................
I know there are also 'Skype' IP phones and last I looked the prices weren't astronomical but still beyond maybe what a lot of people are willing to cough up.

There was for a time a cost effective skype phone for 90$. I wish I could remember the manufacturer. Connected on 802.11 a/b/g so it is pretty universal.

The whole VOIP thing is still evolving and is likely where we'll all end up before long. Good bye to landlines - which I have a lot of mixed feeling about. If you look back, the good old phone system has probably been the most trusted & reliable piece of technology invented since the wheel :)

GS

Agreed, people don't realize how old and how stable phone systems are. I can still install an old qnix from the 80's and have it running for a small office AND stable within a few minutes. Voip is not that simple or even in the same league for call quality. Sometimes progression happens before what we are progressing too is perfected. :mad:

I love Skype as I have an iMac. I wonder if group chats are allowed. I heard there is a website designed to pull into any Skype user across the entire world. If you don't like what you see, you click "next". I'll have to try that soon :)

I love Skype. I heard about a website/Skype feature (not sure which) that lets you flip between all users currently on Skype throughout the world. Some are preverted but others are simply on to meet random people through internet chat. I will try this soon! :) my friends talked with a very nice couple from Australia. :)

Oops!

Araikas:
I am testing out these buttons and may have ACCIDENTALLY put an angry face at the end of your post. Not totally sure. Please forgive me!! I was trying to delete my first post but then the screen got messed up on my iPhone. I'm sorry!

Back