ladystuff

@Redpepper - I would love that pattern... :) I would love to be able to save money on pads.. :D

Can you draw a rectangle and cut up an old towel? There's your "pattern".

I'm amazed that people spend $20 on "menstruation kits" at food coops when it's just a bunch of flannel rags with fancy packaging.

Last edited:
Pretty much what neon says. I shaped mine like an iron and then rounded the broad end a bit. I took layers of towels and put flannel on the top and bottom and then sewed the edges with a serger.

Really though, you could get away with a folded old towel and experiment with bulk before cutting it up. Its almost better to have it unfoldable.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good because you can make longer/thicker ones for nighttime and thinner/smaller ones for daytime or tapering off.

How many layers of towel? I'm wondering if it cuts down on wardrobe options during your period.

How many layers of towel? I'm wondering if it cuts down on wardrobe options during your period.

AS many as you need. It "cuts down on wardrobe options" the same way using a maxi pad does.

Sometimes I wonder what people think they did before Kotex and StayFree were invented.

The same goes double for childbirth "classes". None of us would even BE here if people needed "classes" for that. Western society really makes us dumb.

Last edited:
AS many as you need. It "cuts down on wardrobe options" the same way using a maxi pad does.

Sometimes I wonder what people think they did before Kotex and StayFree were invented.

The same goes double for childbirth "classes". None of us would even BE here if people needed "classes" for that. Western society really makes us dumb.

It was just a question since I've never seen a fabric pad, I have no frame of reference to work with.

I have to agree about the childbirth classes though. It's something your body just does, all the book learning in the world isn't going to change what your body is naturally going to do.

It was just a question since I've never seen a fabric pad, I have no frame of reference to work with.

Well I wasn't really directing my "I wonder..." statement at you. I have seen a lot of people surprised by the idea that you can make your own feminine hygiene accessories. It's pretty much the same difference between cloth/reusable diapers and disposable ones: cheaper, more comfortable, and better for the environment.

Myself, I prefer sea-sponges; but I'm having my uterus taken out at the end of this year so I won't even have to deal with sponges for very much longer.

Here is a link http://www.diapersewing.com/clothpads.htm

Although, I have yet to have the time to sit down and actually do more than my boys pants :)

I did purchase a few cloth pads to try out. They use Suplex (or such) as a bottom waterproof liner and I find that it makes me sweat. What is a better fabric to use on the bottom of the pad?

I used to make my boys dispers too. Until he became a toddler and then bought reliable cloth ones that had velcro tabs. It took way to long to make as many as I needed! About 5 to 10 a day! No way I had time!

I discovered that putting a fleece lining on them meant that he didn't have wetness against his skin. I haven't tried it, but I wonder if this would work with pads?

I used to make my boys dispers too. Until he became a toddler and then bought reliable cloth ones that had velcro tabs. It took way to long to make as many as I needed! About 5 to 10 a day! No way I had time!

I discovered that putting a fleece lining on them meant that he didn't have wetness against his skin. I haven't tried it, but I wonder if this would work with pads?

My cloth pads have either fleece or flannel as the top layer... both are quite comfy.

That might work - Fleece is easy and I know I have yards of it lying around somewhere. Maybe even a felted wool pad instead of the Suplex/Ultrex stuff. My period is driving me crazy these days. Ultra-super heavy for 3-4 days straight, then spotting for another 3-4 days UUUGH. Ordering the diva cup today and see how that works. Really tired of going through 30+ super plus tampons each month.

I made diapers, covers and wipes for my youngest - now I have to try and convince my nephew and his wife to go cloth.

I have two cups. First I got a Mooncup, small-sized. But I have a heavy flow and needed to empty it out way too often (waking up a few times at night because it was overflowing) so I got a Diva cup, the bigger size. Having two is handy for using public bathrooms because it means I don't have to go back to the bathroom to put it back in after I've washed it.

Having sex with it in though... If you mean intercourse, I wouldn't have thought of it. However, with tampons I frequently went "oh, no, I just put a tampon in, we can't have sex now!" and with a cup it doesn't matter!

I saw that IUDs were mentioned as well, I have one too. Not a hormonal ones though, hormones were horrible for me, no pill would help, I had migraines if I took it non-stop, painful periods if I didn't, no libido, depression... So I ended up steering clear of anything hormonal, and going for a copper IUD.
I also have smaller periods as a result (well they were a bit heavier the first six months, then same as on the pill for the next six months, and after that they reduced a lot).

My body without hormones is much happier! I almost instantly felt better, so I'm really glad I found what worked for me. It's also great not to have to worry about it for years.
Because I've never given birth, I went with the smaller model, so it's "only" good for five years against five for the bigger one, but still, definitely worth it! I did get a vasovagal episode, as I'm prone to having those, the insertion WAS painful (the unfolding of the branches) but it only took a fraction of a second for each branch and that was that.

I only have panty liners since I'm using cups, but I made these panty liners with cloth, too. I simply used an old shirt and a towel. The towel bit is on the inside, with cloth on both sides, and I added buttons, the ones that clip. In case some blood leaks out (which it might if it overflows or if I put it in wrong and some dripped out) it's enough that my panties don't get stained.

Got a diva cup and for the first time in a year, I didn't leak every hour. :D It wasn't near as messy as I thought it would be, bit of a learning curve to get it in and out though. I am so happy right now.

What I want to know - is who's had a brazillian -and how badly do they hurt???

So I'm nuts, and I got one in Feb 2009 for Valentine's day for Hubby. And I was preggo at the time, which is supposed to make them that much worse because your blood flow is increased to the area and you're more sensitive. I actually didn't think it was all that bad (but I am very minorly masochistic). I had a really really good waxer though. I explained to her that I'd never done it before and was nervous and all that. She explained everything to me and took her time etc. If I had the $$$ I'd make it routine. As is I just don't bother to clean up the hair at all except for the occasional trim when it starts driving me insane. Shaving for me = razor burn (no matter how I do it) and ingrown hairs.

As is I just don't bother to clean up the hair at all except for the occasional trim when it starts driving me insane. Shaving for me = razor burn (no matter how I do it) and ingrown hairs.

I sometimes use my partner's beard trimmer if I can be bothered, but most of the time I let it grow wild and free. :D

I always hear (online) women talking about how much they love their Diva cup.

I am reluctant though and for a dumb reason I'm sure, but the only person I ever met IRL that used one freaked me out with it. She would save the blood in her freezer and then mix it into her paints. While she was explaining to me how personal her art was she mentioned using it in cooking!:eek:

And now I can't disassociate hearing that from the product. :(

Ok, the paints I can see, but cooking...:eek:

I am on my first week using the Diva Cup and I will say that I absolutely love it. Still figuring things out, but it's getting easier. I wish I could have been using it for the last 25 years, but I'm not sure I wouldn't have been grossed out at the time(for so many issues and hang ups). It wasn't until I got married that I stopped being embarassed about purchasing supplies at the store:rolleyes:. I figured if my husband is willing (he offered) to find the brand and style I need and purchase it for me with out any qualms, what is my problem?

Funny story: My dh was at Sam's club with what I call his g/f (NSP), she was trying to descreetly purchase some pads, when he found her. He then gets on the phone and calls to see if I need any and proceeds to start reading off the brands they have. She was mortified, but now just laughs about it and has no problem calling him to have him go to the store for her if she is sick, even if her husband is home.

What I did notice about the Diva Cup, was that it usually only leaked when I didn't put it in right and it took a lot longer to fill up than a tampon. I was so releived to not have to worry about if I am going to run out of tampons at work, especially on my heavy days. Now it's no problem. It just occured to me that this thing is GREAT for backpacking too. I would much rather clean a little blood off my hands than have to "pack out" used pads and tampons in ziplock bags, BTDT - gross, especially by day 3. Not to mention having to pack in all the supplies, hoping you have enough.

Wow, Vinccenzo, I can understand being disturbed by that, it's pretty weird! I guess I wouldn't be so grossed out by someone eating their own blood (there are lots of dishes with blood in them, and at least nobody gets hurt for THAT blood) but I'd be freaked out that there might be some in dishes she serves other people, without telling them.

I can assure you I've never done that, ever. But yeah, now that you associate the two in your mind, I can see how that would stop you. Oh well, nothing forces you to use cups anyways :)

I always hear (online) women talking about how much they love their Diva cup.

I am reluctant though and for a dumb reason I'm sure, but the only person I ever met IRL that used one freaked me out with it. She would save the blood in her freezer and then mix it into her paints. While she was explaining to me how personal her art was she mentioned using it in cooking!:eek:

And now I can't disassociate hearing that from the product. :(

Art is one thing... using it in her recipes YUCK. Def not for me! Some women eat the placenta after they have given birth, because it is iron-rich. Maybe that is why she uses her menstrual blood in cooking?

Back