Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 09-23-2018, 06:07 PM
Spaminator

Now now, just because you like yuppie food doesn't (necessarily) mean you are a yuppie...lol.

I admit that, growing up, I really did think those were what tacos were. I'll even admit that I do get a craving for Taco Bell every once in awhile, though I don't equate that with Mexican food.

I just looked at the gatefold of ZZ Top's album Tres Hombres and now I have a real craving for good Mexican food. My problem is I'm sitting in New Hampshire right now.

I travel a lot. Funny thing is I've never gotten Mexican food in New Mexico. Funnier still, there is a great Indian place in San Jon I try and stop at when I can. That truck stop is a total dump but the food is amazing.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:17 PM

San Jon is a village rarely mentioned in my neck of the woods, and to be honest, I don't remember having heard of the place. But I see on the map that it's way over there to the far Eastern border. Wikipedia says of San Jon that "The population was 306 at the 2000 census." No wonder I've never heard of it, even though I may have driven through it once. A great Indian place there, 'eh? Would that be Indian as in curry sauces or Indian as in fry bread"?

I almost used the old "dot or feather" way of asking, but it turns out that the internet says that's "racist". I never knew. Is it racist to invoke fry bread? How about hamburgers? I'm mostly Caucasian -- enough to pass as a white guy (with some Indian of the feather and fry bread variety stirred in). So I suppose I should get upset if someone calls us hamburger eaters? Sigh.

ZZ Top fan recreates the ‘Tres Hombres’ gatefold meal and then eats it
https://dangerousminds.net/comments/...d_then_eats_it

A Region-by-Region Guide to the Best Tacos in Mexico
https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...cos-in-mexico/

Last edited by River; 09-23-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:11 PM

Default Speaking (again!) of tacos ...

Speaking (again!) of tacos ...

I had these totally amazing restaurant breakfast tacos here in Santa Fe recently. Being breakfast tacos, they had scrambled eggs as their main ingredient ... with cheese and sausage and a little smidgen of this and that along with, get this! -- a hint of dill pickle bits. I was told that the pickles made all of the difference, but was skeptical about this notion. Well, it did! They were very wow.

If you find yourself visiting Santa Fe you can get them at Palacio Café -- the one at
209 East Palace Ave, Santa Fe NM. There's another sister Palacio Cafe on Palace Ave, but I don't think they have these.

Mmmmm!

Edit:

Oh, here's the menu description:

Rocky's Breakfast Tacos
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................
$9
Two yellow corn tortillas filled with eggs, hash browns, cheddar cheese, bacon and sausage, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles. Choice of red or green chile on the side.

https://www.palaciocafe2.com/menus

Last edited by River; 09-23-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:47 PM

Default Nuts about tacos!

Tacos al Pastor! (video instructions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Hivd9AI6Q
Old 09-24-2018, 03:49 PM

Default Food questions

1. When snacking, do you generally go for sweet or savory?

2. What are some favorite snacks of yours?
Old 09-24-2018, 09:46 PM
Spaminator

Curry. I refer to Native Americans thusly, or by tribe name. What doesn't offend someone today will probably offend them tomorrow.

9 bucks for two tacos?

Last edited by vinsanity0; 09-24-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity0 View Post
What doesn't offend someone today will probably offend them tomorrow.
I find this remark quite offensive.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Speaking (again!) of tacos ...

I had these totally amazing restaurant breakfast tacos here in Santa Fe recently. Being breakfast tacos, they had scrambled eggs as their main ingredient ... with cheese and sausage and a little smidgen of this and that along with, get this! -- a hint of dill pickle bits. I was told that the pickles made all of the difference, but was skeptical about this notion. Well, it did! They were very wow.

If you find yourself visiting Santa Fe you can get them at Palacio Café -- the one at
209 East Palace Ave, Santa Fe NM. There's another sister Palacio Cafe on Palace Ave, but I don't think they have these.

Mmmmm!

Edit:

Oh, here's the menu description:

Rocky's Breakfast Tacos
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................
$9
Two yellow corn tortillas filled with eggs, hash browns, cheddar cheese, bacon and sausage, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles. Choice of red or green chile on the side.

https://www.palaciocafe2.com/menus

Not surprised the pickles made it awesome - one of my favorite "dinners when i don't feel like cooking" is huevos con chorizo - eggs scrambled with Mexican pork sausage, a style with lots of cumin and vinegar - wrapped up in tortillas. i usually have cotija cheese - ok or at least cheddar - and pickled onions in the fridge to go on them. (I make my own pickled onions with jalapeños in the brine, once you slice the onions and put them in the brine they last forever and ever).

Other Dramatis Personae are detailed in my blog.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icesong View Post
Not surprised the pickles made it awesome - one of my favorite "dinners when i don't feel like cooking" is huevos con chorizo - eggs scrambled with Mexican pork sausage, a style with lots of cumin and vinegar - wrapped up in tortillas. i usually have cotija cheese - ok or at least cheddar - and pickled onions in the fridge to go on them. (I make my own pickled onions with jalapeños in the brine, once you slice the onions and put them in the brine they last forever and ever).
Hmm. Would you believe I've never made pickled onions? I'm going to have to try that.

What kind of tortillas do you use with your huevos con chorizo -- corn, wheat, a blend? Lately, I'm finding the white corn and wheat blended tortillas useful -- though they are of course not "authentic" -- or traditional.

Last edited by River; 09-24-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 PM

Here's the onion recipe - as you see, it's ridiculously simple: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ed-onions.html

As for tortillas, I haven't seen the mixed corn/wheat ones. Will have to look. We eat a _lot_ of straight up flour ones, that's the usual "easy" answer, but every so often I'll get a wild hair and make homemade corn ones. Not fresh masa - Maseca (although there's supposed to be a place to buy fresh masa opening soon and I'm going to have to try that) - but they're still REALLY much yummier than out of a package.

The other thing that is good if one already has Maseca mix is Sopes - something along these lines although you can top them with anything, vegan or not (and if you have lard, fry them in that, yum!) - https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...de-recipe.html

Clearly I'm too much of a serious eats fangirl...

Other Dramatis Personae are detailed in my blog.

Tags
food