Polyamory: Married and Dating - Premier July 12th

The creator of the show reached out to my local hometown for interviews and recordings. I think it's less scripted than some people would like to believe.

As far as the haters, I live in a pretty conservative, republican town. I have not yet met anyone who was that harsh to me. I suspect most people are using their internet bravery to say hurtful things.

1.) look at this site http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2227610/combined

2.) look at the cast and search everyone of them from google

3.) look at the comments (reviews) of this "show"

4.) be amazed!

(i suspect the show is scripted........)

If you are going to place accusations, you probably shouldn't expect others to do all the work.

I went to your link, googled some of the names (didn't find anything implying any of them was anything but poly), read the one review (which had nothing about them not being polyamorous) and I'm still confused. If you think they're just actors who were hired to pretend to be poly, you'll have to explain why, for instance, Devi was already well-known in poly circles before the show even started. Or why you think any of them didn't actually know each other or weren't actually involved.

As it is, I don't know if you mean "they weren't all poly" or "none of them are actually poly" or something else altogether, and I followed your "instructions" and got nowhere closer to an answer. So please spell it out if you're going to say things like that. Who is a mono actor and how do you know they are?

The creator of the show reached out to my local hometown for interviews and recordings. I think it's less scripted than some people would like to believe.

As far as the haters, I live in a pretty conservative, republican town. I have not yet met anyone who was that harsh to me. I suspect most people are using their internet bravery to say hurtful things.

interesting maybe they are actually doing some research on it ahh well as far as for haters its just that show shows too much drama as well as "soft-core" stuff:p how embarrassing :eek:

but still its not my cup of tea (literately)

interesting maybe they are actually doing some research on it
I've actually talked with the woman who created the show and she made a point of trying to get to know the poly community in LA as part of the show's casting outreach. She's...very dedicated and very proud of the fact that the show isn't scripted. I'm sure there are moments that are staged to be a little more camera friendly. The groups seem to work hard to keep the show focused ONLY on their relationships and not let it turn into "lets follow poly people around all day" so some re-staging of important events is probably called for.

I've made a point of viewing every piece of media produced on the subject of polyamory and I think I've seen most everything there is. From that standpoint, its an interesting show, definitely worth a look. It shows some great moments with the groups working out problems and the dynamics the show follows are very interesting.

That said, I would not characterize the show as a prime example of a good representation of the community. The show is very, VERY focused on sex. The intro is 99% sexual in nature and the show itself has numerous shots of the groups having sex. Its fairly graphic, I am nowhere a prude but even I found the amount of sex the show displays to be edging on excessive. I think it gives a bit of support to the criticism that we often have leveled at us; that polyamory is a cover for nymphomania and promiscuous behavior.

My critique has to be taken with the understanding that Married and Dating is a TV show and as such has to push the envelope in order to get and keep viewers. The poly people the show follows seem to be a good mix of individuals and the show doesn't try to shove the participants into "roles," taking their worst attributes and making them the only visible aspect of that person. They actually seem like real people.

All in all, its a decent show and it looks at a lot of important aspects of how a poly relationship functions on a day-to-day basis.

As to the comments on the Globe and Mail article, I'm not so sure they're that bad. Yeah some of them are rather knuckle-dragger but there are a lot that boil down to "consenting adults = no one's business." The comments that seem to not understand why the show is such a big deal are also encouraging in their own way; the poster views the idea as normal enough not to warrant the kind of attention a TV show would deliver and general acceptance of polyamory is a positive.

Last edited:
I've seen all of the episodes of this show and it sort of turned me off. I was worried that it was an accurate representation of what it means to be poly and that all that meant was a lot of sex, and bi females. I am a straight female and am interested in poly but I got so worried that I would have to be involved in relationships with females or that the men would be involved sexually, which is totally not my thing. After doing some real research I learned that straight polyamorous relationships do exist and was so disappointed in this show for not portraying that. It's way too sexualized.

R-tv

It's way too sexualized.

Reality TV....

They have to set the Hook before they can reel in the Fishies....

Setting_the_hook.jpg

Just Me,
Tim

It's way too sexualized.
True and I actually put that concern to Natalie (the show's creator) at one point. She feels the show is and tries to be very "sex positive" (her words, not mine).

And as WaywardDruid alluded to, this IS a TV show and they depend on ratings to be renewed for new seasons and get people interested so pushing the envelope is expected.

I wonder if there's been a jump in the interest in polyamory as a result of the show.

According to the numbers, it has.
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=polyamory&cmpt=q

`

I figure Poly will be associated with Swingers my entire lifetime and in the same breath..​
.. ruined by Swingers my entire lifetime.

`

Back