Newbie -- need some advice!!

Drummerboy74

Hey everyone -- newbie to this site, and this subject in general. This posting is gonna be pretty lengthy, but I am just looking for some general advice. Here goes:

I am a 39 year old gay male, legally married to my 37 year old husband. We have been together for 15 years now -- married for 7 of those. We own a great little house on the water in Southeastern MA, and we really have a great life. We get along really well most of the time, and love each other very much. Still have sex about once a week (on average -- sometimes more, sometimes less), which I hear is pretty decent for a couple that has been together that long. Ha. Our families/friends are a huge part of our lives, and we are the luckiest people alive as they have 100%, fully accepted us and love us. As a matter of fact, we've never had one issue with being gay from anyone. We're just a couple of regular guys, really.

He and I know with 100% certainty that neither of us has cheated on the other. Our relationship is not 'open', but we do have a third over sometimes. We only play together. Over the last 5 years, we've had quite a few -- maybe every 2 to 3 months (though we have done this as far back as 13 years ago). We've never really had a bad experience, or at least never had any crazies. Most of these guy were younger (20-28 generally) and most ended up spending the night - usually with breakfast the following morning. We both feel that the "screw and leave" thing was a bit too informal to us and generally enjoyed the company of this new person. There were a few of these young men that stood out above the rest, and were people we could see being friendly with. Well, we recently met this 23 year old guy that lives about an hour away from us. He is not out yet, has a good new job, he is very cute, and he had only been with one guy before meeting my hubby and I. He had every opportunity to meet people, but had never gone through with it. He wanted to meet us because we actually had a conversation with him instead of the "you looking??" responses you get from a lot of the guys online (which is how we met). Also, he found us both very attractive, and got a good vibe from us.

We've since had this guy over 3 out of the past 5 weekends, and again in a couple of weeks. We've gone out to sports bars, had beers, took our small boat out, went hiking -- all together. Laying in bed with these two handsome guys is unbelievably hot to me. We've had some pretty passionate sex together, to be honest. There is something about the dynamic of the 3 of us that is really exciting to me. I love hanging out as a trio, I love seeing my hubby interacting with him, and the goofing around between the 3 of us. I know there is an age difference here, but it truly doesn't seem like it when we hang out - in any way. He's a mature 23 (or we are an immature 39/37). Ha. And I know he likes us, and loves hanging out with us. It just kinda clicks well.

All of this (finally) brings me to my question. Is this normal?? I know my hubby has really little to no interest in having a "boyfriend". He's called our new friend more of a "friend with benefits" kind of relationship. He has a much easier time with keeping sex and emotions separate than I do, anyways. He doesn't want to lead this guy on at all, and I know that this young man is really new to this whole thing anyways. But the thought of the 3 of us together, even once in a while, is very exciting to me. I think I've come to realize after hanging out with our new friend that I wasn't necessarily looking for random hookups when we played with a third, but a potential "boyfriend" of sorts -- or some one person that we could have a sort of relationship with, as strange and illogical as that seems to me - or whatever you want to call it. Am I a jerk for feeling this way?? Am I poly? I've always found monogamy to be unnatural and not all that realistic (though I know it works for some). Should I just kinda let this play out for a while? Is this completely ridiculous? I sorta feel almost guilty for feeling this way. Not sure how I would even discuss this with my hubby. Any advice or input on this, without judging? :)

Thank you for reading.

Yes, you are normal. There is nothing new under the sun. ;)

To me? In my vocab? You are married and have a BF you and husband hang out with and share sex with.

• Your hubby is happiest calling him a "friend with benefits" and doesn't seem to want to make any further commitment. He could be polysexual and monoamorous. (share sex with more than one, but love only one -- you.)
  • You seem to want to call him "BF" and possible have more commitment -- even if just the change in name for how you refer to him.
  • You are also dealing in emotional management with your feelings about you practicing an open relationship model and the fact that you find you can love both these people and share sex with both. (Polysexual and polyamorous. Share sex with more than one, love more than one.) I don't know if love theory helps give you more "love words" to describe what love you have for each.
  • What does the BF person want to be called and be recognized as? Does the BF want to date other people at some point or is the BF happy with you two? How does the BF describe self? For certain polysexual since he's sharing sex with both of you. What is his "amorous" -- monoamorous or polyamorous?
  • Last -- are all 3 ok with however it is each of the 3 identify as at this time?

Could talk to these people about what's on your mind to sort it out the stuff above out so that you can relax about the BF's place in your life. Also relax that all is out in the open and everyone understands each other and where each one is at.

Could sit down and talk to yourself about your emotions over discovering that you can love more than one. Could ask either/both for support as you do that internal work.

But other than that? It seems like it is working out fine. Again -- you are normal and there's nothing new under the sun.

GL!
Galagirl

Last edited:
The only problem I see is if your husband and/or the other guy isn't happy with him in a boyfriend role with you. I think you need to see how the guy feels and if he feels the same as you, see how your husband feels about you taking this to the next level. I think its super important you don't put any pressure on your husbands relationship with the guy to change.

So, I guess it's pretty common for gay men in committed relationships (even when married) to have casual NSA sex with others from time to time? Do you have any gay male friends who also play like this? Have you talked to them about what happens when you fall in love with your fuck buddy?

Here in poly land, where we can be male, female, trans, poly, mono partnered with a poly, bi, gay, straight, pansexual, we usually call having casual NSA sex "swinging." In that configuration, steps are taken to NOT become emotionally attached, and love is a bad word.

You and your h did not take steps to prevent emotional attachment to another. Spending the night, having breakfast, hanging out and enjoying friendly non-sexual time of chatting or going out on a date of sorts, easily leads to love.

Love is not a dirty word! Love is beautiful. Now, some couples who "share" a "third" seem to think this love should be equal between all 3, as if both members of the couple are clones of each other. Of course, this is not the case. Your new "bf" might be more interested in YOU emotionally, but just kinda like and lust for your h.

Think long and hard how this will work out. Will your h be jealous? Will the bf be jealous? Jealousy is not something to be avoided in poly relationships, but faced and worked through until "compersion" (happiness for your partner when they are in love with another) develops.

Keep in mind, in triads, there are several relationships. You and bf, you and husband, husband and bf, and all 3 of you together. Is 2way sex allowed? Are you allowed to go out on a date with just bf? Is your h allowed to go out with bf just the 2 of them? All things need to be discussed and worked out. This takes time, and patience, and courage.

It is important to stop thinking of you and your h as "we," in this case, since he and you both have different views of what new guy means to you. To your h, he's a friend with benefits. To you, he's boyfriend material. And that's OK! You're individuals, with your own tastes and preferences. There's no need to force you to think like your h, or for him to share your views exactly. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies!! I really have no interest in having this guy as a separate "boyfriend". My interest lies only with US as a three person unit of some sort. And I am under no illusions - I know this guy is young, has very limited experience, etc. Still, when the 3 of us have spent time together, it ha been very, very enjoyable. But I am also aware that my hubby isn't really interested in having a "boyfriend". He has problems with labels, I think. Ha. He def wants to limit emotional attachment because I think he's both not very interested in it, and also feels it's odd and not 'right'. So I guess I am just seeking some advice and maybe an outside person to tell me what is going on here? I'm ok with just letting things go where they go. It's WAY too early to call him anything, anyways. Thanks again for listening.

He def wants to limit emotional attachment because I think he's both not very interested in it, and also feels it's odd and not 'right'.

So why is hubby engaging in this behavior and going against his own grain? :confused:

You think is not you KNOW. Have you asked him if he's going against his own grain?

So I guess I am just seeking some advice and maybe an outside person to tell me what is going on here?

• BF -- no data given.
  • DH -- possibly going against his own limits and engaging in behavior he's not really into and isn't "right."
  • You -- Crushing hard, wanting more clarity and reassurance this is all ok with all the other players in the group and you aren't weird for being in a 3 people thing.

Could your crush be coloring your POV? Because hubby going against his own grain doesn't sound like "everything is awesome" as first described.

That still points to the same advice I gave before -- you all could talk, and get on the same page for what it is you have here and what you can expect from each other and what it is you each want/need/have as boundaries.

We could guess til the cows come home, but the answers are within your group. Could go talk to your people and sort it out.

I am sorry you feel confused. :( But it's on you to sort it out and ask your people for the clarity/reassurance you seem to need.

Galagirl

Last edited:
Ok, let me clarify a bit. The "bf" truly likes both of us equally. There is no favoritism at all. I think he LIKES the fact that we're a committed married couple. He met us because he was attracted to both. He keeps in touch with us regularly by text. Nothing deep or personal, just "shooting the shit" and what not. I don't know what his expectations are in this, but I DO know he loves being with us. As for my hubby, he is def not having him over against his will. He enjoys spending time with this guy - he's said so. I just don't think that he wants an emotional relationship. He said (at one point) "He's a friend with benefits" that we have over and hang out with. So maybe I should be cool with this? This guy wants to go skiing with us in Jan and wants to take us up to a lodge in NH for a weekend. I would love this, and I think my hubby wants to as well, but will prob say "I think he's getting too attached to us" - which I like, but he is afraid of.

Well with this added info, you're heading for trouble with your husband, if you don't sort things out.

I, personally, think fucking without emotions is way less fun that fucking someone you are deeply fond of, or love. Why keep another divine human being at arm's length? Why feel one's own emotions are "wrong?" Feelings are feelings. I know many men will do almost anything to avoid acknowledging their feelings though! Feelings are for girls and sissies. Fucking is what MEN do!

This is the 21st century. I think men are allowed to feel now.

Labels aren't important.

I don't get the whole couple dating a single thing. From either end. But that's just me. My bf would love to have a deeper sexual relationship with my gf, but she's resistant to the idea, and keeps him as just a friend. (We had 3way sex a few times over a year ago, but it hasn't happened again.) I'd be down with more 3way sex, but I'm not seeking it. So, each of us in this V have slightly different views, and we are fine with it.

BTW, the age difference doesn't bother me. My gf is 22 years younger than me. We have a ton in common, and on the other hand, love learning about each others' age group culture.

I know queers of any gender can be very anti-polyamory, and I always find that a strange wall to hit. You're already queer/gay. Why be against the other alternative sex/love culture of polyamory? Why all the pearl clutching and judgment?

You seem hesitant to have the conversations with your people that could start with this:

I want to talk about what we have and what it could be. I would love to build toward a polyship with 3 people -- a triad. Or, a "V" with me as the shared hinge person. Explore what other love there could be here -- romantic love, consummate love, etc.

What do you guys want it to be? Could you be willing and able to explore that conversation with me?

Or are you happy with what it is -- friends who sometimes share sex but nothing beyond companion/friend type love? So I could know and I could begin to let go of the want for it to be more than that? Could you be willing and able to tell me where you stand?

What stops you from up front communication with your people so you can gain the clarity you seek?

Galagirl

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone for giving your 2 cents and opinions. It is greatly appreciated. The thing that is really stopping me from asking these questions to both of them (especially my hubby) is that I think it may be too early for it. Like I said, we have only had him overnight 3 times (with a 4th time coming up in a couple of weeks). Maybe after that it'd be something to consider. I also feel that I'd be convincing my hubby to give this a try, when I know that it isn't what he wants. Obviously, there's an issue there. The things I DO know however, are that he IS attracted to this guy and he def DOES like hanging and spending time with him. He does feel affection towards him when we have sex too. My hubby and I have always kinda differed on our views of monogamy. I personally think it is unnatural. He agrees to a point, but is much more close minded when it comes to thinking "outside the box". My best bet at the point is to prob just see how it goes from here on out, naturally and organically. Thoughts?

So normal

Well, we recently met this 23 year old guy that lives about an hour away from us. He is not out yet, has a good new job, he is very cute, and he had only been with one guy before meeting my hubby and I. He had every opportunity to meet people, but had never gone through with it. He wanted to meet us because we actually had a conversation with him instead of the "you looking??" responses you get from a lot of the guys online (which is how we met). Also, he found us both very attractive, and got a good vibe from us.

We've since had this guy over 3 out of the past 5 weekends, and again in a couple of weeks. We've gone out to sports bars, had beers, took our small boat out, went hiking -- all together. Laying in bed with these two handsome guys is unbelievably hot to me. We've had some pretty passionate sex together, to be honest. There is something about the dynamic of the 3 of us that is really exciting to me. I love hanging out as a trio, I love seeing my hubby interacting with him, and the goofing around between the 3 of us. I know there is an age difference here, but it truly doesn't seem like it when we hang out - in any way. He's a mature 23 (or we are an immature 39/37). Ha. And I know he likes us, and loves hanging out with us. It just kinda clicks well.

All of this (finally) brings me to my question. Is this normal?? I know my hubby has really little to no interest in having a "boyfriend". He's called our new friend more of a "friend with benefits" kind of relationship. He has a much easier time with keeping sex and emotions separate than I do, anyways. He doesn't want to lead this guy on at all, and I know that this young man is really new to this whole thing anyways. But the thought of the 3 of us together, even once in a while, is very exciting to me. I think I've come to realize after hanging out with our new friend that I wasn't necessarily looking for random hookups when we played with a third, but a potential "boyfriend" of sorts -- or some one person that we could have a sort of relationship with

Congrats! You are a very normal gay man! And so is your husband and your FWB (for lack of a better term). It is quite common for committed gay men to have some sort of an open relationship - NSA sex, FWBs, - some configuration of ethical non-monogamy. There are studies about this out there somewhere.

Here in poly land, where we can be male, female, trans, poly, mono partnered with a poly, bi, gay, straight, pansexual, we usually call having casual NSA sex "swinging." In that configuration, steps are taken to NOT become emotionally attached, and love is a bad word.

I have to disagree with Mags here. I don't consider all casual, FWB, NSA etc. sex to be swinging. I don't consider all sex where an emotional component is not wanted to be swinging. Open relationships, swinging, casual sex, NSA, FWB can all be subsets of ethical non-monogamy. Swinging to me is more of a subculture of ethical non-monogamy, one that often does emphasize physical and friendly connections over emotional and romantic connections. But there are many swingers who only swing with others that they have developed an intimate connection with. For me, the line between swinging and poly is a fine one - they can shade into each other. Many poly folks are not into casual connections at all but some are. Some swing as well as having multiple romantic relationships. Also swinging tends to be rather hetero-centric, if not outright homophobic. I hear this is slowly changing. But not all poly folks think of casual sex and swinging as the same.

That said, I think Mags has a point - and others who have commented too - is that there is a potential mismatch or difference between what you may want - a romantic triad with three men or some variation of poly where love and romance are part of the relationship, and your husband who seems to prefer a more casual sex, open relationship model where love and commitment to outside partners is not allowed. Your expectations and dreams regarding outside partners may be very different. It is definitely time to start a conversation with your husband not in particular about this young man but about what you may want down the line. Is he ok with outside committed relationships? Do both of you need to be involved with a third man? (Triads are the hardest relationship structure to form and maintain - tag search 'triads' 'unicorn' 'third' 'couple privilege' and similar words here to learn more about triads and get a sense of the pitfalls.) What about each of you being involved with another (that's called a 'V')? If falling in love happens, how to handle it? On this forum, we see a LOT of pain and drama caused by people who expect their partners to walk away from a lover. Personally, I believe it is best to remain more on the casual side of things than inflict that kind of damage on all involved.

It is difficult to control who falls in love with who, especially if there is cuddling, going out on activities together, getting to know each other. That is indeed a recipe for falling in love. It's generally not possible to control feelings. We feel what we feel.

There is lots to mull over here. Lots to learn and sort out what you and he (and maybe the younger man too) believe and where you want to go. This is not a conversation that will wrap up quickly. It could take years. But now is a good time to start it with your husband, regardless of how things shake out with the young man.

But... it is probably a bit early to start this kind of conversation with the younger man. It is early days yet. And he sounds relatively new to being out, being gay, having gay connections, etc. If things progress emotionally? Well, then yes, conversations with all three of you would be necessary. But if he is ok with being the occasional third in your marital bed? I would hold off until you and your husband have begun talking.

All of these points are very valid. Makes sense. To answer one question though - there would be no relationship other than with BOTH my hubby and I together. It would be a triad of sorts, if it were to ever go anywhere (not a V type relationship). No emotional relationship for either of us separately outside our marriage. That is something I know we would both agree on. And I agree that it is way too early to speak with this young man about any of this. My hubby and I would def talk first.

The thing that is really stopping me from asking these questions to both of them (especially my hubby) is that I think it may be too early for it.

You already have shared sex with the man.

You are now confused as to how to proceed because you find you have soft loving feelings toward him.

So you are NOT going to have conversation with DH and with BF person to clarify because it is "too early" to ask what each of you expects from this relationship?

That seems like you talking yourself out of doing what needs to be done to me. :(

I would have had that conversation before sharing sex and opening the marriage. To me this is catching up conversation that could have been had before.

But that's me. *shrug*

I also feel that I'd be convincing my hubby to give this a try, when I know that it isn't what he wants. Obviously, there's an issue there.

WHEN did you ask your husband to consider his willingness for polyshipping with this man? So you KNOW for a fact that he's not willing because he said "NO."

You seem to dance around answering that point blank. Did you or did not not actually ask your husband?

Could you be not wanting to actually ask at this time because you fear his response is going to be "No, thank you. I'm not willing for more than casual sex fun." And then your DH may no longer even want to hang out with your crush much less share sex because now he knows you have love feelings toward the crush?

I'm wondering if that is a reason for your reticence / avoiding.

My best bet at the point is to prob just see how it goes from here on out, naturally and organically. Thoughts?

If that is what you prefer, so be it.

But I disagree. I think your best bet is having this conversation with DH and with BF person each in turn AND all 3 in the same room. So you all know where you stand what each one wants, and can proceed to enjoy the relationship without this cloud over your head.

Either as friends only, FWBs, or something more. But at least all on the same page here. If your hope is to someday be in a triad... then you could practice having these kinds of talks and sharpen your communication skills. Have to start somewhere sooner or later.

Galagirl

Last edited:
All of these points are very valid. Makes sense. To answer one question though - there would be no relationship other than with BOTH my hubby and I together. It would be a triad of sorts, if it were to ever go anywhere (not a V type relationship). No emotional relationship for either of us separately outside our marriage. That is something I know we would both agree on. And I agree that it is way too early to speak with this young man about any of this. My hubby and I would def talk first.

A lot of people want what you want. And there is nothing wrong with that at all. But... it is freakin' hard and full of pitfalls. (Ethical non-monogamy is full of pitfalls in general.) Amble about this forum - there is lots and lots of threads on various aspects of triads. And while there will be some differences because you are all gay men, the general points on unicorn hunting and couple privilege still generally apply. Do tag searches for both here. Lots to read!

I also find Solo Poly blog interesting - http://solopoly.net/. You do not need to agree with her point of view to get information out of her posts. She does a better job than most of explaining the implications of couple privilege and the 'escalator' in relationship.

There are some books that may be useful to you. I like both the "Ethical Slut' (authors name is escaping me) and "Opening Up" by Tristan Taortina. Both are on Amazon and neither are exclusively poly focused. 'Opening Up' in particular describes a bunch of different ways to be ethically non-monogamous.

Good luck!

I def want to talk with my hubby about this, no question. I know he feels this way because he has said in the past that he does not want a boyfriend or a 3-person relationship. This has been stated. However it's a catch 22 in a way. Total monogamy is not ever going to happen. That's a fact. So threesomes will comtinue, and chances are that at some point feelings will develop again (with someone else). So it's kind of a lose-lose situation in some ways. I am not overly interested in casual sex. I find it cold and unfulfilling. But maybe that's the way it should be with us.

I def want to talk with my hubby about this, no question.

Good.

If these are the limits you have to work within:

He has said in the past that he does not want a boyfriend or a 3-person relationship.
I am not overly interested in casual sex. I find it cold and unfulfilling.

Then...

1) Could stay monogamous and stop engaging in "lose lose" behavior.

2) Or open so he has casual sex elsewhere and you do not.

3) Or open so you have meaningful BF elsewhere and he does not.

4) Or both 2 and 3.

I'm sure it is hard to feel and process, but the behaviors are pretty straight up. Talk to him.

Hang in there.
Galagirl

Thank you all. Your responses have been awesome and have helped a lot. One other thing to mention -- this desired-after "triad" of sorts wouldn't really be a true full-time relationship. At least not for quite a while. We both have busy lives and family and friends we see often, events, holidays, etc. This would almost be a continuation of what it is now - with maybe the added knowledge that it is "something" - not just a trick we have over sometimes. Maybe I should stop trying to find a label for it? Ha.

Oh, and I DID just buy Opening Up on audiobook, and Ethical Slut through Amazon. Ha. :).

You need to start thinking about the other person. So far, you want them to have sex with you both, stop their feelings from going too far and plough the lines in your marriage. What about them? What can you offer them? You say you don't like casual sex but any sort of romantic attachment s forbidden in your relationship. Doesn't that automatically make the sex casual? You have feelings for this guy that or hubby doesn't. Why can't you acknowledge that you are individuals that feel differently so a blanket ruling isn't going to work very effectively? What makes sense to me is you carry on as you are with some progression of the relationship with you and the other guy. Progression that reflects your feelings for him.

My best bet at the point is to prob just see how it goes from here on out, naturally and organically. Thoughts?

I'm going to go against the general grain of responses here and say that, at this point, this is what I would do.

You go on to say:
One other thing to mention -- this desired-after "triad" of sorts wouldn't really be a true full-time relationship. ... This would almost be a continuation of what it is now - with maybe the added knowledge that it is "something" - not just a trick we have over sometimes. Maybe I should stop trying to find a label for it?

I know the poly mantra is "Communicate, communicate, communicate." but I have never understood the need to determine ahead of time what the "goals" of a relationship are - what it is "supposed to look like" down the road.

If the three of you are enjoying yourselves and appreciating what you have now...then why try to shape it into something different? Or label and define it? It is what it is.

Sure, deeper feelings MAY develop over time...or one of the three of you may decide that you are no longer happy participating in this three-way thing the way you are now...

On another note - I agree with opal here:

I have to disagree with Mags here. I don't consider all casual, FWB, NSA etc. sex to be swinging. I don't consider all sex where an emotional component is not wanted to be swinging. Open relationships, swinging, casual sex, NSA, FWB can all be subsets of ethical non-monogamy. Swinging to me is more of a subculture of ethical non-monogamy, one that often does emphasize physical and friendly connections over emotional and romantic connections. ...Also swinging tends to be rather hetero-centric, if not outright homophobic.

Not all relationships have to be deep and growing deeper. For me it is possible to have "casual sex" with my friends. We do have a "relationship" - that of friendship. (As opposed to say, random sex with anonymous strangers or one-night-stands - not all "casual sex" is the same.)

It is difficult to control who falls in love with who, especially if there is cuddling, going out on activities together, getting to know each other. That is indeed a recipe for falling in love. It's generally not possible to control feelings. We feel what we feel.

This may be specific to the individual - for me these are activities that are a recipe for creating bonds between people...but not necessarily romantic bonds (even if you throw sex into the list). Maybe it is because I am NOT someone who "falls in love" easily (it's happened exactly twice for me), or maybe my definition of "love" is much more narrow. Maybe it's because my "friendships" are all very close (I don't have "casual" friends - I call those "acquaintances") and share a lot of qualities that people associate with "love."

Just an alternative perspective...

Jane("If-it-aint-broke-dont-fix-it")Q

Just wanted to post a quick update of this situation. Our new friend spent the entire weekend here with us last weekend, and the three of us get along really, really well. Went to see a hockey game on Sun, stayed over Sat & Sun nights, and went to work from here on Mon morning. We are gonna see him again for a couple nights in two weeks, and prob late Dec as well -- and we are going away together for a weekend in Jan to a ski area. We all "group text" pretty much every day. He has told us that he def has feelings for us. But I still think my hubby is either hesitant or even mostly against the idea of a triad. I DO know that he likes him, and is absolutely attracted to him. I think he's just a bit more "traditional" than I am. So I still don't know where this is going, but it's been pretty damn enjoyable so far. Thoughts?

Back