Movies: That would have been better with a poly ending.

I've been waiting for 3 to come out on Netflix for a while. Then it was a question of having a night alone to sit and watch it.

Basic storyline...a longtime Berlin couple (yes, this is a subtitled film for those who care about that sort of thing) find that the spark has gone out of their relationship. It's not quite at hostage situation levels, but they're definitely in a rut. She stumbles across someone she's interested in. And so does he...and interestingly enough, it's the same man.

I won't go too much farther into the plot, but I will say I'm a big fan of people seizing the appropriate opportunities to grow and change and evolve. This film is full of them.

I think someone already said it, but Chasing Amy! The movie is all about exploring sexuality and they get to a point where a poly relationship was pretty much brought to the table and then they backed out of it. So disappointing! I really thought it would go that route, but it was still an okay movie.

Also even though it's a video game not a movie I think Rinoa, Squall and Seifer from Final Fantasy VIII would have made a great triad!

I think Pushing Daisies would have been great with a triad between the three main characters. Ned, and the two women. Oh well.

Perhaps someone has said this already, but...

(and, not a movie, but oh well!)

I just finished watching season 4 of True Blood. Sookie really needs to try poly then she could have Bill AND Eric.

Me? I'd want Eric and Tara LOL

Perhaps someone has said this already, but...

(and, not a movie, but oh well!)

I just finished watching season 4 of True Blood. Sookie really needs to try poly then she could have Bill AND Eric.

Me? I'd want Eric and Tara LOL

I agree completely but I'd prefer Eric and Sam. Tara is cute but not my type.:D

I can't believe no one mentioned Casablanca

When I joined this forum it came to my mind as you may have surmised from my username.

I'm pretty new to the dynamics of poly life but it seems to me Casablanca does already have a poly ending. Ilsa loves both Victor and Rick. Both men love her in return. Both men respect (and maybe even admire) each other and know of and respect each other's love for Ilsa. They don't get in a stupid fistfight pissing competition over her.

Rick: I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
Ilsa: But what about us?
Rick: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
Ilsa: When I said I would never leave you.
Rick: And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that.
[Ilsa lowers her head and begins to cry]
Rick: Now, now...
[Rick gently places his hand under her chin and raises it so their eyes meet]
Rick: Here's looking at you kid.

Just because they are not all living together under one roof doesn't make it an un-poly ending. There was a war on! People made sacrifices.

And it does have the most perfectly optimistic final line.

Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Last edited:
I'm pretty new to the dynamics of poly life but it seems to me Casablanca does already have a poly ending. Ilsa loves both Victor and Rick. Both men love her in return. Both men respect (and maybe even admire) each other and know of and respect each other's love for Ilsa. They don't get in a stupid fistfight pissing competition over her.
. . .
And it does have the most perfectly optimistic final line.

And what about Louis? Rick could be the hinge in a V with Louis and Ilsa; Ilsa the hinge of a V with Rick and Victor . . . Would that be an N?

Or, given the warmth of Victor's words to Rick at the end, maybe an open triad with Rick, Ilsa, and Victor, with Rick having an additional connection with Louis . . .

Let's use our imaginations here!

This was made into a movie....Phantom of the Opera. While I love the way the ending was done in a lot of ways, a poly ending would have been really cool too. XD I think in her own way Christine really did love both of them.

Rinoa, Squall, and Seifer, eh? Interesting. XD If Aeris lived in FF7 Cloud so should have had both of them.

So, the three of us headed off to see "Ted" Saturday night and we're watching a preview for a film called "Savages" where the lead actress is introducing the two male leads in a voiceover. Then she says, "And, yeah, I'm with both of them."

Kids these days, I tell ya.

So, the three of us headed off to see "Ted" Saturday night and we're watching a preview for a film called "Savages" where the lead actress is introducing the two male leads in a voiceover. Then she says, "And, yeah, I'm with both of them."

Kids these days, I tell ya.

We just got home from seeing Ted and yeah... Saw the same preview and the "I'm with both of them" thing made me smile. I'd seen a preview for the movie before but it hadn't made that part clear. Looking forward to seeing what it's like!

Well, Roger Ebert weighed in with his review including this little nugget:

O insists she is blissfully happy with this arrangement, and apparently the guys are, too. I wasn't convinced. When three people share one another, that usually involves only the physical bits. The deep emotional parts are either withheld or missing. My notion is that O likes the luxury and attention, and the lads find her a convenience. This will come to a brutal test.

(Where O=Girlie)

Now, no one is ever going to mistake me for a poly cheerleader. Ever. This is the most work I've ever put into a relationship and that sort of commitment isn't for everyone. Still, Mr. Ebert, the sort of arrangement I have with my men is definitely one that has deep intellectual, emotional as well as physical underpinnings. It has to otherwise it wouldn't work. Methinks he's spent just a leetle too much time in the Midwest. ;)

I'm glad I found this thread. I can't think of any of them right now (of course) but there have been at least 20 times in the last 3 years (since I have embraced poly) where I have realized a poly perspective would have resulted in a much better ending for movies and books etc. So....the next time I see one, I will definitely share it here! Thanks for the thread!!

Savages

Regarding the posts on Savages....
The violence was horrendously brutal and graphic so this film is NOT just for anyone. That night I had some nightmares in fact, they were so bad.

But the poly element? I actually kinda liked it. Sexually they are a Vee (since her and both guys are all heterosexual), but there's no doubt that all three of them love each other like a true triad. There were a few sweet moments, in addition to the sexy moments. I think they handled it well.

The Bachelor and the Bachelorette

Yes- I watch the Bachelor and the Bachelorette. In fact-seeing a person dating that many people and getting really close and intimate to that many people is one of the things that helped me to allow myself to pursue poly relationships. I have watched people actually fall in love with several people at a time towards the end of the show. It might be a better show if poly were a common reality!

What about Pretty in Pink? Andie, Duckie, and Blane... Paving the way for poly geek-rich kid vees everywhere. :D

Ugh, no. Blane was a tool. Andie, Duckie and anyone but Blane would be fine in my book. :rolleyes:

Oh, c'mon... He's in high school, so if they were gonna change the ending to include poly they could change it so he learned his lesson and become NOT a tool along the way... lol

Oh, c'mon... He's in high school, so if they were gonna change the ending to include poly they could change it so he learned his lesson and become NOT a tool along the way... lol

OK, I might be able to sign onto that. Long-term, I just couldn't buy into their relationship ever working. Or maybe adventures with Duckie seemed like they'd be more intriguing....

Back