Once Bitten, Twice Shy?

scandal

Greetings all,

Just wanted some thoughts on being in a poly relationship and interested in forming new relationships. I was in a poly double V until recently, so I am currently interested in creating some new friendships with a "let's see what happens" attitude.

I like to be very open and upfront about my relationship status with new friends, but outside of the swinging community (which seems to be more accepting of alternative relationship models than the regular crowd), the description of my relationship with husband dearest seems to result in a person responding with a "Phwoaaar, well then you aren't such a good girl after - all you must be ready for a random shag!" It's not the first time this has happend as in the past we got some similar reactions from friends until they really understood that we aren't just in it for a quick and easy rush of endorphins.

Needless to say, I am not frequenting those places these days, since I dislike either the reaction or having to hide part of who I am. Has anyone else hit this problem?

When I was involved with another (temporarily) while still with my partner, Kevin, I told a few friends and aquaintances about this, and the typical response was "I just couldn't do that," which felt quite distancing, if not judging. Only one person said, "how nice for you!" -- rather sincerely.

"I just couldn't do that," which felt quite distancing, if not judging.

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard that LOL!!

I don't blame them though. I am able to understand thier inability to not understand more than I understand someone's ability to love more than one person intimately....in the way I use the word "intimate" :)
Luckily, I don't need to understand it to feel healthy and loved within it :D

When I was describing poly to some coworkers, one of them said "Oh, you're swingers." I replied "No, that's polyfuckery. Polyamory is about loving relationships, we want more than sex." It was like a light clicked on in her head at that.

I think attaching the "poly" to "fuck" to illustrate swinging and then pointing out polyamory is "many loves" helps a lot of folks to understand it.

And I never assume it's a bad thing when they say they don't think they could do it. It's a foreign concept to them and they really don't think they could do it because they have no idea how to go about doing it.

I heard "I can't do that" all the time. It doesn't bother me, nor make me feel distanced. They just couldn't do it. There was a time when I wouldn't have thought I could either. When I said I was bi a very good female friend said "Ewwww. Vagina is gross!" This and the look on her face made me laugh until my sides hurt because I knew that, while SHE felt that way about vagina, she didn't feel ANY different for me. It's like me saying I like eating cow brain and someone saying "Eww. I wouldn't". It doesn't mean we can't be just as close friends.

But I've had others tell me "you're disgusting" or "you must have a bad marriage then" or "your husband is just using you" or "you don't really love eachother then". That's where it gets insulting and people get cut off.

When I said I was bi a very good female friend said "Ewwww. Vagina is gross!"

I can't believe people feel that way about their own stuff. Yes, it was a big relief the first time I tasted someone else's pussy and decided I liked it, but I already knew "vagina" wasn't "gross" because I have one and I know what mine is like.

Amen, sister!

Actually, I know WHY some people are turned off by their own stuff, I just think they should get over it.

Actually, I know WHY some people are turned off by their own stuff,

I'd love to hear your theory or hypothesis.

"I just think they should get over it."

How?

Well, it's no secret that in Western society and the Judeo-Christian culture that children are often taught that the genital and anal area are "private", "dirty", and/or "shameful" either in so many words or through actions and behaviours.

HOW (and whether) other people deal with their issue(s) is not my problem. I guess one could start by reading self-help books...

Actually, I know WHY some people are turned off by their own stuff, I just think they should get over it.

I know why SHE feels that way. She's so obviously bisexual to EVERYONE but HERSELF. The woman used to creep into my bed naked and drunk when we were teens, coerce people to dare her into kissing other girls to show "how crazy" she was, ask to shower with me "to save hot water", and comment on every other females butt and breasts because she was "only comparing them to" herself. (I never even tried to touch her nor was ever interested.) Once I came out to her and she pulled the "gross" act, she then nagged me for every intimate detail of my sexual relationship with women.

The idea her own sexual organs are gross no doubt comes from her repressed bisexual side and the feeling that that is gross. I don't think she'll ever open up that side with the upbringing she's had and the repression to an ALMOST homophobia. To her credit, she never loved me any less after I came out. I don't know if she's even aware of it consciously herself. And I feel very sad for her sometimes.

There's also that... I wasn't trying to pigeon-hole anyone or make sweeping generalizations. I said SOME people...

But thank you for the explanation.

"To save hot water" that's a good one.

children are often taught that the genital and anal area are "private", "dirty", and/or "shameful" either in so many words or through actions and behaviours.

My son once told me his penis was sweaty and itched when I asked why he was touching it. A friend overheard and told him "Don't touch that! And don't say penis! Call it your firehose and only scratch it in the bathroom!" To which my son responded "That's stupid". And I responded "What he said". (He makes me so proud sometimes.)

Even so, I still don't scratch my crotch in public or say, in front of people I work with. Your son's friend does have the right manners.

The part about the firehose is silly though. People should know and use the correct names for body parts. I use slang because it's my choice, I would use the proper terms if I was at the doctor's or something.

It was MY friend. A grown woman. And the "That's stupid" was geared towards calling it a "firehose", not the scratching. I do tell him not to touch himself in public. Should have been more clear. lol

It was MY friend. A grown woman. And the "That's stupid" was geared towards calling it a "firehose", not the scratching. I do tell him not to touch himself in public. Should have been more clear. lol

OH!!! That's funny. That I misunderstood like that. Not the thing itself. Well the thing itself is kind of funny, too, but differently.

And i edited my message while you were writing yours!

Back