Just curious what is your configuration?

What is the configuration of your relationship?

• Single

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Closed couple

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Swingers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Couple and dating with no serious outside partners

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • V, N, or etc

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Triad, quad, etc

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • other

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Currently, I would say we are a closed couple. Hubby has no interest in anything else at the moment. I think he was hurt too badly by our experience with K (our failed triad) and needs to heal. He has said if I still want a girlfriend I could have one, but my plate is rather full as it is, just with our own lives, and there is no one I am interested in at this time. If someone wanders our way that should catch either of our attention, we'd probably be open though.

I'm not sure I could explain it, so I drew a picture:

path3843-3-8-4-6-92-97-7-5-6-3-7-1-3-6_zps504bd735.png

I'm the blue one.

That is hilarious and clever.

From my perspective, mine is a V.

Point on a triad, end of a V...

So I answered Triad, because that's the local and active relationship that is growing so strongly these past few weeks and months... but now I want to change my answer because up until now we've been more of an N with my long distance relationship to EL (who is married). So when the left edge of an N gains a shared point, does that turn into a triad with V attached at one point - so EL is in a V with me and her husband, and I'm in a triad with WI and AM, in addition?

I'm still kind of shocked to be in three relationships, folks. Still trying to figure out how that happened...

Currently, "Couple and dating with no serious outside partners".

I haven't been with another partner at all during the last five years with R. (there are very, very few folks compatible with me, anyway; while I'm always open, and would never agree to be in any kind of closed arrangement, I'm not actively looking for other partners, and I doubt that I'd meet someone eligible anytime soon even if I were looking); she's been with another gal for a bit over a year during our time in an "N"-type of structure (more complicated than that in detail, as the other couple were swingers, but the "N" was the core of it), and currently doesn't have serious other partners, while being open to it also (and a lot more easily compatible with other folks than I am :)).

Closed triad.

Who Us ??

Open marriage since 1974.

Discovered the word Polyamory 1997.

Became charter members of PolymatchMaker in December 2000.

At this time she is dating and I am not.

The future is always fluid on the circle so who can say what we'll discover up ahead.

Just Us,
Tim & Trisha (Hakiem or LazarusLong & Stormsinger) :eek:

Voted for "V, N, or etc" but triad is applicable too (see my signature for the details). I didn't vote for the triad option (but I would have if multiple answers were allowed) because I feel our triad is too different from the typical ones - besides what I said in my signature, we're not primary partners and probably never will be, and we're happy this way (although we do hope to live closer).

Note: In my book, "primary partner" only means "live-in partner". It doesn't indicate hierarchy. A and L are as emotionally significant to me as G.

Last edited:
V. N has a girl friend and some occasional fwb. I was seeing a guy but that petered out so now its just N. I have a lot harder time finding partners than he does.

It is hard to describe but the most simplistic way would be a V with myself as a hinge with my husband and partner. However, C and H are both very good friends and will hang out and even play together sexually. Both men have also expressed interest in attempting a MFM 3-way.

I'm in a quad for the past 6 months...we all just acknowledged it as the poly quad that it is a week ago...we all come from swinger backgrounds so it took a while to make the leap in realizing what we were all a part of.

I checked Couple dating not serious.

In fact we are currently a closed couple in practice, but she is looking and hoping to become a MFM Vee with her as the hinge.

-Cherub

A poly quad as well. In an exclusive (polyfidelitous) relationship for 2+ years. Following Steve's example, I may put this in my sig file eventually, but for now (fake names):

Jay - my husband for 20+ years
Lee - my boyfriend for 2+ years and Kay's husband for 15+
Kay - Jay's girlfriend and Lee's wife
Em - me

I don't even know how to describe what I'm in. I'm married, she is currently mono. I'm dating a women who is married and both she and her husband are poly. I guess you would say we're both each other's secondary relationship. It still confuses me.

I'm married to my husband (11years married, 15together) and in a long distance romantic friendship with my ex. I'm afraid that's the best way I can describe it, we email and chat a lot and when he visits 3-4 times a year we fool around all three of us. He has a partner who used to be in a v with him and her husband but split with her husband and now the two of them live together.

Whip and I are an open couple. He is also a swinger - I'm not into swinging although I do enjoy casual sex. He has a couple of BDSM play partners right now - one of whom I think he would like to be more significant. I do not know if that will happen or not. I had a brief play partner but that has faded away. I'm not looking real hard for other partners, casual or more serious, but am open if things develop.

Last edited:
Confused. Married. Ex-boyfriend and I still completely in love with each other and waiting for him to get out of hell in a handbasket for us to figure us out again.

I guess I'll add that C & I started as swingers. We moved to an open relationship as we become more comfortable with loving independently of each other. My relationships tend to be longer and more intimate than C's (interestingly we were mutually envious of each other's relationships). A few months ago I met M and this relationship has become closer and more serious than any of my previous (outside of C). We're working on the logistics and how to make this work for all of us.

I'm in a "closed poly-fi hetero MFM V." Closed and polyfidelitous in the sense that we do not have sex outside the bounds of our three-person unit. However, we're not closed to the idea of growing to a four-person unit (such as an N) or what have you. However, a new person wouldn't be added quickly and all four of us would need to get along well. And, none of us are looking for anyone new to date, so we'll probably always be "just a V."

Our three people are:

• brother-husband (one arm of the V and legally wedded to snowbunny)
  • snowbunny (the hinge of the V and legally wedded to brother-husband)
  • kdt26417 (I, me, the other arm of the V and author of this post)
We've been friends since about 1995, together as a V since early 2006, and handfasted on August 30 of 2009.

This V is the first time any of us have tried on a poly life for size. We were all monogamous prior to that. Our first few years as a V were, well, turbulent, but we have thankfully settled since then into a state of boring poly bliss. :)

Back