What does "I love you" mean to you?

love and LOVE

In the past i have designate two areas of love. There is love, meaning I care and want the best for you. I enjoy our time together and hope to be together a long time. Then there is LOVE as in a spiritual connectedness that transcends all boundaries. I love quite a few people and i don't feel this is a bad category at all lol. I have only ever once felt LOVE.... It was and in ways is amazing. I'm pretty sure the human psyche can only deal with LOVE in small bits at a time. I really don't think i could deal with LOVE in more than one maybe max two people at a time. however, love is quiet and peaceful in my soul. I am comfortable with loving others easily and wholeheartedly.

I love you to me means that a part of you is with me all the time in a positive way. I think about how my actions will affect you and I try my best to do things that will please you.

For me, it means something close to, but not quite "I've let down my defenses, let you see the real me. As crazy as I can be sometimes, letting those defenses down let us grow and bond. I trust you. I appreciate you. I am forever changed for knowing you and a spot has always been cemented in my heart for you."

For me, it means something close to, but not quite "I've let down my defenses, let you see the real me. As crazy as I can be sometimes, letting those defenses down let us grow and bond. I trust you. I appreciate you. I am forever changed for knowing you and a spot has always been cemented in my heart for you."

DP great sentiment!

Sometimes 'love' is hard one to describe, but for me, I know what the feeling is and who I feel it for.
The love I have for my husband and boyfriend is certainly stronger than love for my family and friends. The bond I share with the two of them brings me much happiness.
The phrase 'I love you' means more to me than I care to admit.
If you were to ask someone whether they would rather hear the phrase or feel loved, it only makes sense to want someone to show their feelings. Actions speak louder than words, yes?
I never realized how much the words meant to me until I had to accept I wasn't going to hear them from someone I love very much.

I honestly think "I love you" means something different every time I say it. Different people, different situations, different circumstances.

Usually, I'll look at him and just see and feel how truly incredible he is, and get overwhelmed by emotion and I'll have to share it with him. Then I'll look him in the eye and tell him how I feel.

Sometimes, my husband will tell me about something he did at work that I think was absolutely incredible and impressive. I'll chuckle, and say "I love you" and then it means "wow, I am so impressed by you and I feel so lucky to share our lives."

Other times, he'll do something totally boneheaded and trivial, and I'll shake my head and sigh, and then chuckle "I love you" and he'll go "whaaatt?" (as in "what's so funny about that?"). Then it means "you're a total goofball and you make me laugh and that's really cool."

Or I'll make a really big mistake by accident, and as I'm trying to figure out how to tell him, I'll say "I love you" in a tone identical to "I have a confession" and he'll respond, "what did you do?" Then it means, "I did something dumb, just remember that you love me and don't get mad."

Sometimes we'll make love and it will be mindblowingly amazing. Then "I love you" usually means "Wow, that was incredible and I am SO high on endorphins."

But because of who he is and what he means to me, all of those above meanings are mixed in with the simple statement that I do truly love him. If I didn't feel that way, I wouldn't use "I love you" to convey any of those meanings. I would say "You're really cool" and "You're a nutcase" and "uhhh, I F'd up" and "holy crap that was amazing". Of course, I also say all of those things to him too.

Back