We might need some new terms!!

idealist

Recent discussions have led a few of us to think about coming up with some new terms. Since the word Polyamory is only about 5 years old (correct me anyone if you know more about the history of the word itself) It is possible that the Polyamory.com Forum will actually come up with some new needed terms which will be found in the dictionary 5 years from now!!!

So- this is the thread for people who need new terms and for people who have come up with a new term!!

I've quoted snippets of former conversations to get the ball rolling!!

there has to be a better term than "single" for someone with many lovers... seriously, is there not some other term? I don't know of one... anyone?

Well, maybe I could simply say that I am poly with 4 tertiary lovers....

In that light Idealist and because now I understand the term *sans* I agree..... "Sans primary" suits if you are willing to accept it. :D (I like poly with tertiaries also however)

I like sans primary....

I'd love to see some new terms! What do you call your "boyfriend's wife's boyfriend"? Or what about all those shades of grey. There are people in my life that I am in love with and will love for the rest of my life. But, I'm not with them. That needs a name.

Ooh, the linguist in me loves it! I think we need to pull out some latin dictionaries... or?

Personally I don't like to be called anything beginning in meta or ending in amour/mor. My boyfriends wife's boyfriend works just fine :)

Polyamory is a fairly new term and we are really lacking additional terms to explain ourselves and our relatioships to ourselves and others.

It is possible that this forum will come up with new terms that will be used in the future by all Poly people!! I don't see any reason why we can't try to agree on some terms and then start adding them to widepedia on the Polyamory pages.

So- here are some ideas from other areas that I've put here so we can keep things together

Posted by: Ariakas
reciprocity - A mutual or cooperative interchange of favors or privileges, especially the exchange of rights or privileges of trade between nations

posted by capricorny (I think....correct me if I'm wrong)
On: 05-14-2010 02:29 PM
I really think *multiamory* would be a much better word for the "foundationless" version of polyamory. Would give a better mental image of where it is heading. And we could easily sort between "multi" and "poly" people. I think that would be practical. Would tell a lot about the intentions and ambitions involved. If there were not such widespread agreement on the foundations of polyamory, it would be a more doubtful enterprise. But there isn't really, and most people trying to make it work also end up with about the same principles. But one size definitely doesn't fit all in "loving" non-monogamy - therefore the category multiamory in addition to "traditional" poly.

Greekfail

snicker

Greek for significant is simantikos and other is allos (although sadly I couldn't find the term significant other) so simantikos allos?

This came out kind of funny. 'Simantikos' is where we get words like 'semantic'; it's the property of signifying, like "the signifier" in linguistics. 'Simantikos allos' makes me think of the Signifying Monkey in American folklore, only it would be The Signifying (An)Other, which sounds like a really labourious grad thesis.

Polyamory is a fairly new term and we are really lacking additional terms to explain ourselves and our relatioships to ourselves and others.

Actually ... and new is relative...its been around almost 20 years. Fetlife had a huge thread on its origins but at the very least it was mentioned in the early 1990's...

wiki has some history but is missing the pagan background which was the biggest argument I saw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory

some terms i'd like to be used more.

Multi-amorous(adjective) - defined by the practice of having multiple open relationships, similar to polyamory, but without any pre-defined topological structure in those relationships. Multi-amorous people or couples would typically be seen having multiple romantic partners by preference, with all parties either involved or consenting to the other relationships. In reference to polyamory, both have to same amount of openness and consent involved; as opposed to Infidelity in some relationships; but the multi-amorous dynamic does have to include all the types of romantic love and symmetry you would see in a polyamorous relationship, but could lead to such dynamics if they were possible.
Or something like that...make a wiki!!(it's openly editable, lulz)

i'll think of more while i'm at work :p

Multi-amorous(adjective) - defined by the practice of having multiple open relationships, similar to polyamory, but without any pre-defined topological structure in those relationships. Multi-amorous people or couples would typically be seen having multiple romantic partners by preference, with all parties either involved or consenting to the other relationships. In reference to polyamory, both have to same amount of openness and consent involved; as opposed to Infidelity in some relationships; but the multi-amorous dynamic does have to include all the types of romantic love and symmetry you would see in a polyamorous relationship, but could lead to such dynamics if they were possible.

I don't think I understand the difference between multiamory as you describe it, and polyamory as we generally think of it.

Specifically, to what "pre-defined topological structure" are you referring? As I understand it, there is no "set way" to do polyamory. The only distinguishing figure is having multiple romantic relationships.

However, "mutiamorous" is good in that it doesn't mix greek and latin roots :D

polyamory-is-wrong-6795-1268252052-1.jpg

That's just relationship anarchy (still a subset of poly)

I might have this wrong, but my understanding is that polyamory and relationship anarchy are partly external to each other (while they do have a crossover area).

Marcus is also an RA, and I think there's at least one other guy but I forget his handle.

The first edition of The Ethical Slut came out in 1997, and uses the polyamory term. So, it's been around as a term for 19 years now, at least! I read this book in 1999.

Off topic but I've always hated the argument that "polyamory" is somehow a messed-up word because it's from both Latin and Greek roots. Big deal...so is the word "television," and that's kind of stuck.

Back on subject, I don't know of a word that described my last poly relationship: two halves of a couple both in a relationship with one other person, but that person's partner not involved in the relationship. It isn't quite a quad, and "triad-and-one" doesn't seem to cut it.

Off topic but I've always hated the argument that "polyamory" is somehow a messed-up word because it's from both Latin and Greek roots. Big deal...so is the word "television," and that's kind of stuck.

Back on subject, I don't know of a word that described my last poly relationship: two halves of a couple both in a relationship with one other person, but that person's partner not involved in the relationship. It isn't quite a quad, and "triad-and-one" doesn't seem to cut it.

Well, that's basically a joke riffing off of people who argue that poly is 'RONG!' because of reasons.

I suggest 'polycule' as a description for the situation in the last paragraph. While some folks love making diagrams for their relationships (there was a thread about diagramming somewhere), it makes my head hurt. So I just use polycule when the relationships are not a triad or a V and is complex in some way.

Back