Recent poly in the news

Alan7388

Another season, another poly news roundup!

- - - - - - - - - - -

A parenting magazine presents polyamory as a logical alternative. TV news goes all awkward covering a Loving More convention. Dan Savage as America’s most important sex ethicist. New poly books. More on campus. And, how to frame the emergence of polyamory as the natural outcome of the last several centuries of human development.

What is the world saying about us? If you haven't kept up with Polyamory in the News in the last three months, here is some of what you missed:

** “Changing Families: from Traditional to Whatever Works?” A mainstream parenting magazine looks at the poly alternative. “ ‘A lot of people outside of the polyamory community think these relationships are all about sex. It’s not. It’s about family,’ says Robyn Trask, managing director of Loving More... who estimates that between 150,000 – 200,000 Americans live in polyamorous relationships”:

** A TV station covering Loving More’s Poly Living conference stumbles over backward trying to distance itself from what it’s covering -- yet still the story got through:

** New book: *What Does Polyamory Look Like?* by Mim Chapman. Plus a list of the six recent poly books:

** “Dan Savage: America’s most important sex ethicist”, by a liberal Lutheran minister who is smart, knows his economic models, and is not entirely cheering:

** “How Not to Have an Open Relationship”. “Okay honey, we’ll start with monogamy for *now*....”:

** In a local newspaper, a therapist for polyfolks speak out:

** “I’ve covered some strange stories, but this is one of the most mind-blowing.” For her, anyway:

** More buzz in college newspapers. A college health counselor explains that “Polyamorous relationships require trust.” And more on campus:

** A stellar black couple educate about good open relationships across many black media. And in *Madame Noire,* a pro-poly author cuts through the chaff:

** More about slippery slopes. “If you accept this framing you've lost the debate before you open your mouth. Slipping on a slope is a painful *accident that leads down.* Reframe it as a *stairway up* -- in which each step is a deliberately chosen advance toward a better, kinder, freer, more humane world.”:

** Best poly parade float ever?:

** Atlanta Poly Weekend: my report. An exciting new locus of energy and activism emerges:

** More on poly and kids. “I've probably observed more modern polyamorous childrearing than anyone on the planet," says Deborah Anapol, who gives her impressions:

** Theory and strategy: Poly as a subset of self-determination, a natural step in the ongoing arc of the last several centuries of history:

And more.

Here's the site:
http://polyinthemedia.blogspot.com

I've done 503 of these reports in the last six years, covering roughly 1,000 items in news media of all kinds. Archived entries are sorted by topic, date, and sometimes location and language. I hope you have as much fun browsing them as I do creating them!

Happy spring,

Alan

Thanks for the link! I haven't got time to look at it just now, but am looking forward to it. Do you just list American media? I word-searched "polyamory" on The Guardian's web-site. (The Guardian is one of the UK's most respected liberal / left of centre newspapers, and its web-site is extensively read all over the world.) There were only 16 articles in all, from the first in 2003, 2 or 3 only mention it in passing, but the rest treat it rather decently.

A lot of it is: "There's this new thing going on over the water in the USA...", there are interviews with proponents. One article mentioned that "there are many more support groups for polys in the USA than in the UK. But that might be because the British don't make such a big deal of it. People in Britain aren't as scared about the neighbours' possible reaction (the neighbours wouldn't really mind), so support groups aren't as necessary. People just get on with their polyamorous lives." (This isn't a real quote: I'm paraphrasing from memory.)

But here's a cut+paste sample from the lists page:

Free love gets a fit of the wibbles
The Guardian, 4 Apr 2005
Steven Alexander

An old hippy ideal has been given an update for the consumer generation in the latest social phenomenon to cross the Atlantic to Britain.

…An old hippy ideal has been given an update for the consumer generation in the latest social phenomenon to cross the Atlantic to Britain.Polyamory is free love with strings attached. Although practitioners have numerous partners…

Oh yes, I not only post items from outside the US, but the UK has its own tagged category:

http://polyinthemedia.blogspot.com/search/label/U.K.

And here's my list of tags for other languages, when I find items or someone sends them to me and I can figure them out (thank you Google Language Tools):

Danske
Deutsch
Español
Français
עברית
Nederlands
Norsk
Polski
Português
Русский
Svenska

Cheers,