Pet Peeves

1 username
2 people

It irks me to know end. Make conversations difficult at the best of times and impossible the rest of the time.

People that think just because I don't LIKE doing something, that I am an idiot and don't know HOW to do it.

People who can't drive at - or faster than - the speed limit. I HAVE SHIT TO DO!!

No one in Maryland knows what a turn signal is. I want a potato gun in my truck, just for each and every one of these morons. If they can't use it, they won't mind if I shoot it out, right?

People who think they have the right to tell me I can't smoke. Look, you've already made it illegal to smoke indoors in public. Now we have to go outside. Stop whining because we're smoking by the door, you got your way and this is the result. And yes, I know smoking is bad for me. ALL SMOKERS KNOW THIS. I'll stop when I'm good and ready to.

The religious right. Enough said.

People who randomly IM me for no apparent reason, and expect a conversation out of me. If I wanted to talk to you, I would have called you on the phone. I love you, now leave me the hell alone. :D

People who are willfully and willingly ignorant and stupid. True ignorance is one thing - that's acceptable, because it can be fixed and people who are truly ignorant of something generally don't like being ignorant. But when you deliberately ignore obvious facts because they're inconvienient or challenge your comfort zone, this is unacceptable. I WILL thorw these things in your face deliberately, to show you just how foolish you really are being, and your precious 'comfort zone' can go get f***ed.

I think I'm done for now :)

People who think they have the right to tell me I can't smoke. Look, you've already made it illegal to smoke indoors in public. Now we have to go outside. Stop whining because we're smoking by the door, you got your way and this is the result. And yes, I know smoking is bad for me. ALL SMOKERS KNOW THIS. I'll stop when I'm good and ready to.

Don't come to bc...can't smoke by the doors either..:)

It's 19 feet for the metrically challenged, lol.

In Ontario you can't even smoke on hospital property!

It's 19 feet for the metrically challenged, lol.

In Ontario you can't even smoke on hospital property!

I can understand that. People at a hospital are trying not to die, and cigarette smoke wafting in through a window or door isn't going to help anyone with that, but I'm sick of being expected to walk basically into the middle of a parking lot, with no shade or anything to sit on, simply because someone can't handle the smell of cigarettes for the 15 seconds it takes to walk through a door. Honestly, if it's that bad, hold your breath for a few seconds.

You claim you have the right to be smoke-free. That's fine, I respect that, so long as you respect my right to smoke without walking to the middle of nowhere in the blazing Maryland sun. I am not a freaking leper just because I want to smoke.

I can understand it as well. Doesn't mean I have to like it. The public hospital here has erected a double bus shelter for the smokers and it's as far from any of the entrances as it's possible to get without being in the next city! The Catholic hospital you DO have to go across the street since they're on an island in the center of the street & their parking lot is across the street.

Some hospitals you can't even smoke in your own vehicle while on hospital property!

They have really toughened up the rules here.

You can't smoke in a vehicle which has a child under the age of 15 (some areas 16) as a passenger.
Not within 19' of any entrance.
Any smoke shelters may have either three walls or two walls and a roof, you can't have three walls (heaven forbid FOUR walls) and a roof!
The no smoking in indoor public spaces has really, REALLY cut down on some of the charities fund raising efforts since it also means no smoking in bingo halls.

Smoking : HUGE pet peeve of mine.
In particular : People who smoke in their car with children in it.

I was so very appreciative of Ontario`s strict rules on smoking. One of the best ways to stop new generations from smoking, is to show that it is NOT socially acceptable. Not anywhere.
Children don`t need to see smokers hanging out in doorways everywhere they go. That sight, creates a falsehood in some childrens`s minds. Smoking then looks to be some cool, mysterious thing. Almost like a 'club'.

Nevermind all the 15 seconds of second hand smoke they end up breathing in. There are a lot of doorways out there.

I think many problems happen, when some bans are put into place and not others. Then the wrong message is sent subliminally to the youth. You end up with teenagers who find it harmless, find the laws a joke, and it ends up being just another way to thumb their nose up.

Now that I live in Alberta, it is less stringent. You can still get a 'smoking room' in a hotel I believe. Ridiculous.

All that said, while I have zero sympathy for smokers, I don`t doubt their frustration. If the government really wanted the population away from smoking, they would change the laws on what goes into a ciggarette.
( toxins, addictive chemicals, etc. Those additives could be drastically altered.)..make the bloody things less addictive.

But of course, that doesn`t spend money, the way slowly bleeding out tobacco farmers, and tobacco companies does.

Ahhh-haha,...Passionate topic of mine. Rant over. :p

Last edited:
If they truly wanted us to stop smoking they would put in the illegal substances list with cocaine, crack, LSD, etc.

They tax the shit out of us as it is...over $10 a pack of 25! To put that in perspective the last time I bought a carton of name brand cigs it was over $80 a carton!

simply because someone can't handle the smell of cigarettes for the 15 seconds it takes to walk through a door. Honestly, if it's that bad, hold your breath for a few seconds.

Smoking is a choice. You choose to light up, you choose to try to kill yourself.

Its not just the "15 seconds" its the chemicals and crap that also cling to your clothes and pollute the air around you for at least 1/2 hour after you've come back in.

As the wife of a cardiac patient - I'm all for more stringent rules when it comes to where one can smoke. Those "15 seconds" means he has to walk through chemicals which then cling to HIS clothing and damage HIS lungs and heart functions.

I'm sorry you're inconvenienced. However - my husband - who almost DIED 10 months ago - shouldn't have to have his health compromised because you don't want to walk an extra 20 feet. Neither should I. Neither should my children.

Yep. I'm fairly rabid on this subject.

Jane, rabid is good. ;)

GWS849.jpg

1. Using the word "like" when you aren't comparing anything!

Or the phrase "you know" I was recently in a mandatory class for work it was suppose to be a safety clas but the lady teaching it used the phrase "You know" so much that I stopped listenignt o what she was saying and started counting how many times she said that phrase. I filled up the emtire upper section of my page with tick marks. When she found out what I was doing she got embarased and angry at the same time. Afterwards I found out that I as not the only one doing it. I honetly do not remember what the class was about any more.

3. Inhospitable behavior!!!
4. Using a cell phone or texting when you are in a social setting!!!
5. Bad table manners!!
6. People who slow down because they are coming to a tunnel!
7. People who have to tell you the ending of a book or movie that you plan on reading/seeing!
9. Having to wade through cigarette smoke at the entrance to a building.
10. Whining!

I agree with these 100%

People who 'hurry up' to get around you so they can stop at the next red light! I just grin at these. I usually manage to govern my speed so I don't have to stop at most of the stop lights, lol. If they'd stayed behind me in the first place they would have made the GREEN light :D.

People who pass me illegally. We have a law here where you aren't supposed to pass a city bus that is dropping off/picking up passengers where the road is two lanes. I stop and wait, meanwhile the moron behind me decides he knows better and goes around me AND the bus!

Other drivers, on general principle. A couple of months ago I was at a four way stop, second in line. There was a tractor trailer at the sign on the left waiting to turn right. The car in front of me took its turn & I stopped far enough back for him to make his turn safely. He started his turn & this MORON behind me comes from behind me and nearly front ends the truck because he could NOT WAIT for the truck to finish the turn! The joke was on him though as he ended up having to stop and wait any way, lol.

People who pass me doing more than 50 kph over the speed limit! Those times I wish there were a cop around! If you're caught doing 50 or more over the limit your vehicle is impounded, you lose your license and all your points!

Back