Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post

Basically the Trump administration is chaos in all directions. It's like the world's nuttiest soap opera.

It was so jarring to see Trump standing side by side with the divine hottie and progressive icon Justin Trudeau yesterday! God, Canada is so lucky.
Yeah englands news take on this was ikvanas flirting with The Canadian PM... Still can't get legit news even about something interesting. My only thought was...why was ikvana there in the first place? Made no sense. She's not on any counsel.

Rocky- Ex-BF 31/m/straight/mono-ish
Gabrielle, Poly-friend 33/m/questioning/poly
+ other FWB, FB, platonic lovers, LDRs and potential interests.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity0 View Post
I've always assumed that's what online petitions were for since they have zero chance of actually accomplishing anything.
America ones might be having hacking issues but the 38 degrees is legit. I've been involved in it for years and the petitions actually make pm/constituionaries/and local governments back down.

Also anyone's opinion on Frexit? We're moving backlash of global community. And i'm sad.

Rocky- Ex-BF 31/m/straight/mono-ish
Gabrielle, Poly-friend 33/m/questioning/poly
+ other FWB, FB, platonic lovers, LDRs and potential interests.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Where are the trump voters in this thread? Where?? Silent. But I'd bet you some have read our words, and decided that this space would be hostile to them.
Well... really only accurate if "hostile" is defined as "expecting cogent fact-based statements presented in a calm, sane, rational manner."

The gulf has been reframed Rightward so many times since 1986 that even discussing a need for discussion is difficult.

I've already tried to have IRL discussions with Trumpanistas. Know what got me called unpatriotic in an angry shout? I'd calmly said, "I'm reluctant to support ANY office-holder."

If you have the temerity to say that some specific Trump action concerns you, it'll take mere seconds for focus to be shifted to "Hillary woulda been worse!!" or "like Obama would've done any better!!" or any number of "man behind the curtain" tactics.

I'm trying to reduce my snark-words in commenting on Trump & his inner circle & his self-proclaimed grassroots supporters & anything GOP or even Libertarian or Independent. Really, the hypnotized will walk off the cliff just as Thulsa Doom beckons, & those less self-blinded are much less vulnerable to direct ridicule than to calm factual statement of the syphilitic farce.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:35 AM
Spaminator

I would welcome a coherent discussion with a Trump supporter. Or at least some honesty.

Actually, I did get one honest answer on election night. The guy said he voted for Trump because he thought it would be hilarious to have him be president.
Elle 41/het/f flaky FWB...was dating seriously
Mary 53/het/f mono lifelong friend
MK 55/het/f ex-wife, ex-play partner+
Old 02-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight1 View Post
Yeah. England's news take on this was, ikvana's flirting with The Canadian PM... Still can't get legit news even about something interesting. My only thought was...why was ivanka there in the first place? Made no sense. She's not on any counsel.
She was supposedly there because the topic discussed by Trump and Trudeau was "empowering women entrepreneurs." And she is one. She is an un-elected, "unpaid" adviser to her father. He said she keeps him from doing wrong things. Ha. She was also at the Boeing factory with him on Friday. She doesn't have any clearance to sit in on classified meetings, yet, there she is! Daddy's little shadow.

Well, if her clothing company continues to tank, it gives her something to do, I guess.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 61) loving miss pixi (poly, F, 39) since January 2009, living together since 2013
"Master," (mono, 36), miss pixi's Dom for 3 years
Old 02-19-2017, 01:22 PM

Ivanka Trump is the unofficial first lady . Melania is excused because Baron "needs" to stay in school in NYC. Nothing spells this out more clearly than Ivanka's makeover of the White House East Wing.

Last edited by FallenAngelina; 02-19-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:19 AM

And now the scientists are into the mix.

Okay -- MAKE AMERICA SMART AGAIN. Totally loving it.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:37 PM

I read a thing on Facebook today that saddened me. The fact that many people I know will say that this is human nature, the way things are, inevitable, and wishing it otherwise is a naive hippie pipe dream...a foolish woman's foolish whimsy perhaps...saddens me only further.

The thing was a man trying to sell his book, but his premise was that the most important thing for humans to pay attention to, is that governments force people to do things with the threat of violence. That law is only valid if enforceable with consequence, and if there is no threat of violence, no guns backing the laws, then no one will obey them. It is the only means to keep order. And so the governments, of any type or shape or size, use the threat of violence to enforce the laws, and they have a monopoly on it, as non-government civilian folk are only to use violence in the most extreme of circumstances.

Therefore it is paramount that we all study political philosophy and no matter which candidates we vote for, ask ourselves if we are comfortable with their ideas being enforced at gunpoint upon us and our neighbors.

So perhaps this is basically true, and that is fine, but is it wrong that it makes me sad? Is it wrong that I wish we as humans could be better or more than this?

My ex used to behave as though "the real world" is something in between a cheeseball 80's movie where the hero walks into a city alley, with a bandanna tied around his head, and some gang of "punks" comes up and one of them "likes his jacket" and then they have a big fight where the bad guys come at him one by one and get kicked or punched into next week...and of course the hero gets the girl and she's got really big hair and really big boobs. Somewhere between that, and Mad Max, is where my ex wants to exist. In a world where real men are gritty and ugly, and might makes right.

Kill or dominate the other males, and get the woman, be heap big man. Yes.

That's his idea of a perfect world. The world of jobs and paychecks, car insurance and mortgages, and "consent" especially (what?? I beat up your boyfriend, you HAVE to go with me!) really makes him very unhappy. Simple enforcement of one's wishes with violence, is simple, and it's best.

As a 5'3", 120lb female, his world does not appeal to me. It renders me nothing but breeding property. Not possible to have equal status because I am not a skilled and deadly combatant. This entire philosophy states that if you lack the ability to enforce your will by violence, then your will has no value at all.

And I know a lot of men who would agree that this is the "way things are." And therefore in order to have my will respected, I must find a man who can bring a threat of violence to others, who will work on my behalf. My ex likes that idea. I don't.

Personally, I don't live my life obeying rules because of a threat of violence. I don't go around assessing whether everyone I meet is someone I should be afraid of. I know people who do, and they're not very socially adept, for the most part. They tend to live in a high state of stress, too, because everyone around them is a potential threat. But they are the minority. Most of the people I know follow most rules because they can (if sometimes grudgingly) realize in the background of their programming, that those rules are needful for us to function together as a society. You don't want people to break into your home and steal from you, so you obey that code of conduct yourself. You don't want car wrecks to constantly be happening, so you do your part by stopping at the red light, and letting others have right of way according to rules we all know and basically agree upon and follow. We kind of all GET that we thrive best if we have some structure and expectations on our behavior and that of our fellow humans.

I don't NOT murder, rape, or steal, because I am afraid of being punished. I refrain from victimizing others because it is wrong, and I don't want to wrong people, and I appreciate not being wronged by others. I think a cooperative society is just...better.

Is that stupid silly girl logic? I mean, everyone is like "yeah, but you can't expect that kind of thing from THOSE PEOPLE, those OTHER people, OUT THERE...they're stupid, we're surrounded by idiots..." Really? Are we? I mean, if you look at yourself, and you don't need constantly to be threatened with violence to follow sensible rules to coexist with others, why do we assume that "most" people do need that? Is it really inevitable? Is it truly the way things are? Is there any hope that we'll evolve as a species, to care more about the common good than we do cringing from threat of punishments? Is it even kind of insulting to assume that this is the way things MUST be?

Analyst, Fire & Hefe My poly quad for approximately a year, until about July 2016. I still consider them much-loved friends.

Blood:
Ninja- 17, Son
Q- 15, Son

Old Wolf- Ex Husband
Old 02-24-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Is that stupid silly girl logic?
No.

Or, maybe, "yes, but that doesn't mean it's WRONG."

Maybe a minority opinion, & definitely one I share.

I don't know what my own deep-seated motives are, but part of it is certainly that I feel like a "nice person" for doing it. No need for praise from others, because I can do that myself, right?

Sometimes the impulse is labeled like "doing well by doing good" or, as I prefer, enlightened self-interest. I got into it as a yogic discipline, & part of my zen learning.

While I would like to see myself as some sort of "enlightened altruist" or something, the fact is that I like being helpful, fixing stuff, organizing, & so on. And the pain & suffering & stupidity in the world does NOT make my life any better, so if I can even shave a teensy little bit of that crud out of existence, then QED have I improved my own life -- selfish bastard that I am.

I'm the guy who goes out to shovel, & spends a few minutes working on my neighbors' front walks as well. Not because I have to, or that they're incapable (snowblowers & more), but because I can.

The space between my house &the next is a bit narrow to safely navigate his riding mower. He might make a pass down the middle, but it takes me maybe two minutes to go foundation-to-foundation with my pusher, even though half of that patch ain't even my land.

At work, everyone steps around (or over) trash drifting across the floor. Last week, someone asked why I stop to pick stuff up. "Because some clumsy dumbass might slip on it, & that'd probably be me." I might even take a minute to polish the brightwork in the bathroom or put in a new roll of paper towels or something, where most other people say "eh -- not my job."

Go find a copy of David Seabury's The Art of Selfishness (NOT that nasty thing by Ayn Rand!), any edition (first published 1937). Read it at your own pace -- probably fast if it resonates with you at all. Wait a couple of weeks, then read it again, slowly, bit by bit, over a week or more. And read it again at least once a year. Truly a tonic!

(Seabury's wife was a member of Heterodoxy, which might be interesting to anyone who knows feminist history.)
Old 02-24-2017, 08:34 AM

"Keep an open mind! Give him a chance!"

Have I pointed out that the phrase (or "give him ANOTHER chance," which we'll hear soon enough) is more Romantic crap?

And we're off...

White House expects Justice crackdown on legalized marijuana

Still waiting to hear from non-Reds who "just couldn't bring myself to trust Hillary!"

Whole long list of stuff, like ending same-sex marriage, deregulating pharmaceutical pricing, shutting down the EPA, privatizing air-traffic controllers (lowest bidder, woohoo!!), deregulating investment, & getting government out of health & physical safety matters entirely, instead turning focus to morality & other matters of MORAL safety.

I may have to start a book of odds. May just an overall deadpool, which seems apt.

On the upside, CIA & NSA & other intel agencies are apparently "filtering" what they tell Trump, to reduce odds anything ELSE will end up blattedall over Twitter at 3 a.m. (I think they did this with GWB but informed Cheney. They certainly filtered Reaganin his last couple of years as he had a habit of babbling without someone nearby to shape the conversation.)

Tags
opinion, politics, religion, sex, taboo