The Weather

Catfish

So it's February and here in Michigan it's freaking cold. Bone chilling cold. Negative wind chills. A foot of hard-packed snow on the ground. Mounds of dirty, icy road snow everywhere. It's down right depressing.

I say this because I wonder how much of the turmoil I see on this forum (and in general lately) has something to do with the season. I have always thought of February as the hardest month of the year. Not only is it cold and difficult to do everyday tasks, but money's always tight after the holidays, the sun goes into hiding, the dogs don't get walks as often, and if you don't plan a vacation well in advance to some southern, tropical locale, there's a general feeling of being stuck. Add to that the normal stress of a word-a-day life AND dealing with uber-complex relationships and you have a perfect storm for sustained malaise.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's always good to step back and look at the big picture. Take a breath (or a vacation) and let the worry go. Spring is coming. I guarantee you will feel better with a little sun on your face.

I agree, and I have been thinking the same thing. I've felt it in my own life, although with me it's not so much the cold. California weather is just screwy, 80 one day 59 the next and back again, it's a friggin yo-yo. At least we have some sun, which I think has helped me even more than I realize.

I would love to be able to chalk my turmoil up to weather.

I can't. :) I own my turmoil...

Ah, but it can effect our perceptions, mood and/or our outlook, thereby putting us either in a better or worse place when forced to deal with life and all the shit that comes with it.:eek:

Just like PMS is not an excuse, but realizing that my hormones are wacked keeps me from putting too much weight on the emotions that are slapping me in the face that week. No major emotional driven decissions allowed if I suspect PMS.:rolleyes:

I would love to be able to chalk my turmoil up to weather.

I can't. :) I own my turmoil...

I'm not at all blaming the weather. Just saying that it makes it harder to see things clearly when the winter funk comes down. I've lived in the north all my life and Seasonal Affective Disorder is a very real thing. And in a way, owning the fact that the weather is bringing me down (as well as many other stressors) helps me deal.

Sorry, I was being semi sarcastic :)... it didnt come across right.

I recognize SAD as a real disorder. I should have been clearer :eek:

I've always seen February as the worst month of the year too. It flat freaking sucks.

It's 19 degrees F here right now, not including wind child. The roads are an icy mess. YUCK YUCK YUCK.

Tomorrow, I fly to Florida. 5 days. I intend to make the best of it.
EVEN if it's cold for them, it's gotta be warmer than it is here right?
:rolleyes:

I hate to say it, but it doesn't relate to the weather for us... we have had snow drops since January, and now have Rhodos beginning to bloom, not to mention crocus, and Daffodils coming up. In a month the dafs will be in full bloom. The big farms are looking for daffodil pickers already. They don't call this city the garden city for nothing. For a Canadian city, we got it made! :D that's why I live here :p (you should see the cherry blossoms in May!)

I hate to say it, but it doesn't relate to the weather for us... we have had snow drops since January, and now have Rhodos beginning to bloom, not to mention crocus, and Daffodils coming up. In a month the dafs will be in full bloom. The big farms are looking for daffodil pickers already. They don't call this city the garden city for nothing. For a Canadian city, we got it made! :D that's why I live here :p (you should see the cherry blossoms in May!)
Geeze RP, are you trying to get everyone to move here!!! :eek:

No one listen to what she says...it's grey a lot and rains every day here...move along...move along.:rolleyes:

Geeze RP, are you trying to get everyone to move here!!! :eek:

No one listen to what she says...it's grey a lot and rains every day here...move along...move along.:rolleyes:

No worries II, as much as we'd like to-it's a whole other country and we have no work there, so they aren't going to let us. :(

We had fifteen below temps here in Sunny New Mexico recently! Of course, Santa Fe is at 7,000 feet elevation, so....

But I always say it, The only good thing about winter is spring! Well, I say that when it's weighing on me--the cold and ice.

Spring is rounding a curve somewhere down South and moving our way!

For the last three days the ice has been literally and figuratively breaking. I didn't even put on a jacket today. The sun has shown and talk of spring is everywhere. I am grateful that I live in a place where we can't take nice weather for granted.

Catfish-

I think you're right about the weather. We're in Colorado, and even though it snowed *weeks* ago, its still hanging around, despite constant sunshine, (we're at 5500+ so it takes *forever* for snow to melt). Now don't get me wrong - its pretty and I love my new home, but for a while there you feel hemmed-in.

We discovered this board, (and the fact that we are not alone in the Denver area) in the middle of the storm (figuratively and literally). The first thing we wanted to do was meet everyone, which is kind of difficult when visibility is 10 feet and the snowplows themselves are slipping. Then we wanted to do a local meet-and-greet with other polys, but is it going to snow this weekend? Maybe, no, wait for next weekend? maybe... It surely throws a monkey-wrench into your ability to socialize.

I think we're learning that when you live in a snow state: Keep warm, and get the hell outside when you can!

Whoa, I wish I was anywhere more South. This morning we had -33 °C (-27.4 °F) here in Middle Finland again. Since outside it's still at least one metre of snow you can't go far except by car, so I am stuck here with our youngest child... That's probably why I started hanging out in fora again :p

Back