Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Press and media coverage

Notices

Old 08-02-2018, 04:41 PM

Default Move Over Monogamy

Hello there and thank you for your comments. Definite food for thought here.

Move Over Monogamy by myself (Daniel Fryer) and Katherine Doggrell is available now for pre-order. Itís an exploration of polyamorous and other non-traditional types of relationship via interviews, essays and psychological insight.

Itís currently being advertised via Publishizer (the worldís first crowdfunding literary agency). At this stage, the more pre-orders we get, the more likely we are to secure a publishing deal.

In the past year alone, polyamory has graced the pages of Menís Health, Grazia, Vogue, The Independent, The Economist, The Financial Times, and more.

Please help us to make this book a reality by pre-ordering a copy today or by sharing this link with your friends and colleagues.

Many thanks for your help in this endeavour.

https://publishizer.com/move-over-monogamy/
Old 08-02-2018, 04:42 PM

Hello there

Move Over Monogamy by myself (Daniel Fryer) and Katherine Doggrell is available now for pre-order. Itís an exploration of polyamorous and other non-traditional types of relationship via interviews, essays and psychological insight.

Itís currently being advertised via Publishizer (the worldís first crowdfunding literary agency). At this stage, the more pre-orders we get, the more likely we are to secure a publishing deal.

In the past year alone, polyamory has graced the pages of Menís Health, Grazia, Vogue, The Independent, The Economist, The Financial Times, and more.

Please help us to make this book a reality by pre-ordering a copy today or by sharing this link with your friends and colleagues.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:57 PM
Spaminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
PS -

I consider it quite possible that there has been polyamorous practice in earlier times than is generally recognized -- though not by that specific name. But not as part of a sub-cultural movement, as we now know it. That is, it is possible that it lived in a barely known, almost entirely invisible underground, similar to how "gay" men and "lesbian" women would manage to form deep and lasting bonds prior to "gay liberation". What we see now is a visible sub-culture which was able to become visible because of various liberatory movements which I have listed in my previous post.
I think polyamory is a specifically Western creation. It could be applied to other cultures and other times but I think that is a mistake, and one really fraught with misunderstanding other cultures and time periods. Calling various types of non-monogamy in the past polyamory is just incorrect.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
I think polyamory is a specifically Western creation. It could be applied to other cultures and other times but I think that is a mistake, and one really fraught with misunderstanding other cultures and time periods. Calling various types of non-monogamy in the past polyamory is just incorrect.
This is certainly a plausible notion. It may even be a fact. But I'm not sure that it is a fact. Certainly the word polyamory is of very recent (and Western) vintage. (One source dates the word to 1992! -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termin...thin_polyamory)

What are the minimal criteria for a relationship practice being polyamory (whether or not that word is used to describe it)?

Please help to create a list ... now let's see here... hmm?
  • consent of all directly affected (involved?) parties
  • love (it's not just about sex, but about love)
  • ??

Isn't the minimum requirement for it to be "polyamory" that (1) multiple loving relationships are accepted and welcomed and (2) these relationships are not concealed from the principle people involved ?

If that's an adequate minimum definition, then I find it difficult to believe such consensual, loving non-monogamous relationships only came into being in the West at some time in the mid 20th century.

But polyamory may not be reduced to such minimal terms (?).
Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 PM

There may, in some sense, be two polyamorys, with the first being reducible to a very succinct list such as the one I provided above and the second being entirely non-reducible to any simple list of criterion of this kind.

The second kind of polyamory would situate "polyamory" as a kind of social movement and sub-culture which seeks to provide a somewhat elaborate alternative to mainstream conventions and practices of ... well, love. (or loving relationships) As such, it would be a movement and sub-culture with an "alternative" set of values, such as those found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Values_within_polyamory .

I don't think everyone who practices 'polyamory' in the first sense embraces polyamory in the second -- but probably most do. Nor do I think the word can be 'policed' in such a way that the word only applies to the second kind / type. Nor do I think everyone who belongs to the movement or subculture has an identical list of values and principals which define the movement / sub-culture. It is pluralistic, but but also largely harmonious and united.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:05 PM
Official Greeter

Greetings Daniel,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

Hopefully you will get the backing that you need for your project. And if you need any info/feedback from us, just let us know.

Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter"

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!
Old 08-03-2018, 06:31 AM

Hello there

Old 08-03-2018, 12:45 PM

DWF50 - It sounds like an interesting read, however I'm not sure why you ask if anyone here would be interested in talking about the subject in the book, if it's already available for sale?

Red: M, 53, straight, ex-husband
Bud: early 20s, son
Lola: early 20s, daughter
Old 08-03-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunabunny View Post
DWF50 - It sounds like an interesting read, however I'm not sure why you ask if anyone here would be interested in talking about the subject in the book, if it's already available for sale?
It seems to be some sort of alternative to the usual publishing deal, in which the yet unwritten or incomplete manuscript project is funded by "pre-orders".
Old 08-05-2018, 12:59 PM

Yes, that's right. Publishizer is a crowd-funding literary agency. The idea being the more pre-orders you can get the more likely a publishing deal is. To that end, I'm looking for people who would a: like to invest in the book and b: be interviewed for it if and when a deal is struck.

https://publishizer.com/move-over-monogamy/[/url]

Tags
book, love, polyamorous, polyamory, relationships