New babies

If she has a partner already that is female and wants kids. I wonder if they or she just wants a sperm donor. He is all in NRE over her and she is NREing over the fact that she seems to be well on her way to having a baby with him. I would wonder if when she is pregnant if she will end it with him. Having accomplished what she came for.

Could be, or what others say, cowgirl.

Sorry you are going through this. I hope you continue to address your needs in this and remind him its only been two monthes. He doesn't know her yet and they are making babies? NRE lasts up to two years! There is no way he could know what she will be like as a mother or someone to live with. He need to find out what she is like as a person just living her life first. That doesn't happen until the NRE wears off.

Perhaps he should come here and read up on NRE.

Oh dear, this is appalling. Yes, they better slow the f down.

Moving her in after 2 months is silly enough. Knocking her up and bringing a new person into the world after such a short period would be bad enough if he were single. Doing that knowing you've got a bit of baby fever yourself makes it worse. Not knowing her well enough, and about her relationship with her female SO also makes it even more sketchy.

I know you are afraid of losing him, but this behavior and lack of forethought can not be tolerated. If you're the only rational adult in this situation presently it is up to you to insist he put on the brakes and do some serious thinking, evaluating and communication with both her and you. Sounds like he's got a bit of a mid-life crisis going on... a man in his 40s feeling all twitterpated and flattered to be desired by a woman in her 20s.

Sounds like he's got a bit of a mid-life crisis going on... a man in his 40s feeling all twitterpated and flattered to be desired by a woman in her 20s.

Great point! I'm suspicious of this whole situation. I know I am one sided but I can't help but think this new woman is gunning for a husband or a sperm donor as Redpepper mentioned.

Axlfreak - trust your instincts, if this feels like it is going to explode beyond repair, request that they put on the brakes and the two of you get some professional help NOW. It may all work out, eventually, but your needs seem to be falling by the wayside, all the while he is being reckless with his new girlfriend. I would highly suggest getting an STD test done on yourself and insist that the both of them do so as well.

The baby thing: Have you told your husband that you DO want babies? He may have changed his mind, but is still under the impression that you don't really want any for yourself, for the same reason you think he didn't want any.

Last edited:
i definately agree with the possibility of a midlife crisis. however how does one navigate that? you can't just tell someone they're having one. just like teenagers, if you tell them what it is, and how to get through it, it only pushes them deeper in. if it is a midlife crisis, he will come out of it. the question is just will it be in time?

i agree whole heartedly that this is not the time to bring a child in, hers or mine, when we don't really know what we're doing. and i like her, and i want to trust her but i had already thought all the things you all are suggesting. i just don't know what feelings to trust.

i am going to take the most obvious advice though. i'm going to talk to my husband and tell him i feel they are moving too quickly. too quickly for me, and too quickly for them. i am also going to say that i think they should hold off on trying for kids until we've lived together. at least then we have an idea of what's going on. even if it doesn't work out so well for me. and as much as i want to be the one to have his kids, i am not getting pregnant in this situation. it's just not healthy for anyone.

thanks again for all your honest replies.

oh also, SNeacail, he does know that i want babies too, but i think he's having trouble trusting that considering the timing. and i get that. all i can do is be consistant and hope he can see it.

oh also, SNeacail, he does know that i want babies too, but i think he's having trouble trusting that considering the timing. and i get that. all i can do is be consistant and hope he can see it.

HE's having trouble trusting YOU changing your mind about wanting babies considering the timing??!! WTF??!! What about HIM being able to trust HIMSELF changing HIS mind about wanting babies considering the timing, e.g. just 2 months into a relationship with a new gf??? :mad::rolleyes:

Also let's face the facts related to STDs/testing. If there's been two pregnancy scares when using condoms for birth control....there's been a risk of STD transmission at least two times, too!

Last edited:
i am also going to say that i think they should hold off on trying for kids until we've lived together.
Is she moving in soon? I have a live in boyfriend that moved in in the fall after 18 months. It took a long time to get through the NRE, the adjustment of someone so huge in our lives, for us and our families... no small thing. I would suggest waiting for a good long time before even thinking of talking about living together. Especially with this baby thing going on.

There are some great threads on "moving" if you do a tag search. You can have a look at my blog too from the fall... say September 2010 to December 2010...? We had a long drawn out process that resulted in happy domestic bliss. Not that you are like us at all, but we certainly learned some stuff along the way that might help...

Sounds like you are ready to have a good talk. Good for you. Hope it works out.

I have to agree with what everyone else has said and add this:

Awhile back, when things were really good with all of us, Karma had made a comment about Cricket wanting children one day. This reall hurt me b/c for all of our yrs together he has been anti-child. I had pushed aside my want to be a mom b/c of this. Suddenly it was on the table because one day in the very distant future Cricket would want to be a mom. When I told Karma how this bothered me he said one of the most beautiful things he has ever said to me. " you are my wife, and if one day I choose to have children, nothing would make me happier than to have you be the mother of them. I make you this promise, I will not consider having children with anyone, until we have had them together. And you will be 100% okay with me having children with Cricket before that happens."

I'm not saying this to make you feel bad. I'm saying it to put things in perspective. I think he is rushing things. And I think if he comitted to being your husband, then he comited to having a family with you before anyone else. I really hope he wakes up to what this is doing to you before it causes more issues that can't be taken back. Just my thoughts on things.

thank you Mohegan, and i'm really happy for you there. ^.^ this is almost verbatim what i would like to hear from R. but he is ready for kids right now. and he feels that at his age he doesn't have much time to lose, and K is ready right now. so he thinks those things together make it time. i just don't. and when he asks me about kids, i have to honestly say the we, all of us together in this situation, aren't ready. and he seems to see that as me saying i'm not ready. and here is K..being ready... what i plan to talk to him about is if he's waited this long, he's in his 40s, he can wait another year or two to make sure things are right between us all, or at least right between he and whoever the mother will be.

i thank you so very very much Mohegan, i really value your perspective as it seems so very similar to mine. (wow that was a lot of "very's")

he feels that at his age he doesn't have much time to lose, and K is ready right now. so he thinks those things together make it time. i just don't. and when he asks me about kids, i have to honestly say the we, all of us together in this situation, aren't ready. and he seems to see that as me saying i'm not ready. and here is K..being ready... what i plan to talk to him about is if he's waited this long, he's in his 40s, he can wait another year or two to make sure things are right between us all, or at least right between he and whoever the mother will be.

Ugh. Have you two spoken together about finances and how that would work? Insurance? If he gets insurance from his job, she likely can't be on his plan, so does she have her own or will you guys be expected to buy more insurance separately for her? Whose income foots what bills? Will she work, too? Live with you full-time? If your husband expected to support her and her child (if they have one), will he still be able to continue supporting his relationship with you in the same way that he has financially? What happens if medical problems occur, with the pregnancy, birth, or with the child? Do you work? How will you protect your income and your interests? Have you two sat down and done the bookkeeping and projected what it will cost to you both to have not one but two additions to your household? And what if she has twins?

In addition to that, have you met anyone in her family yet? Do you really know who she is and what she's after? What's her history? And her credit history? Do a background check - at least. Does she have a lot of debt? If she does, will she continue being responsible for it or does she want help with that? If she works, what will she do about her bills and debts when she has to take leave for pregnancy? Does she get paid leave at her job? Will you be expected to babysit when she goes back to work? If she decides to be a stay-at-home mom, can you and your husband handle the extra expenses of two more mouths to feed without any added income? And could you handle having her at home all the time?

Has any of the above been discussed?

Just because he's starting to feel that age is a factor and if he wants kids he better do it now, that is a lousy reason to have children. The only reason should be that you earnestly and truly want to bring a human being in the world to nurture and raise with love, to take responsibility for their health and emotional well-being, and to prepare that child for becoming a good and productive person in the world who will give back and not be dependent on you forever. Satisfying an urge isn't enough.

It is a huge responsibility to bring a life into this world. The fact that neither of you wanted to do this before speaks volumes of how much you understood that, as well as the risks and rewards. It is suspicious that she comes into the picture and suddenly he wants kids, and now you do too. It's like she has worked voodoo on you both.

I think when you talk to him, in addition to telling him to wait a few years before fathering any children (your logic is very sound on that!), you might want to suggest that he also take a break from seeing her for a while, perhaps a few months, until you both feel your relationship is strong enough for adding another, and if and when you have all "child-rearing" talks done down to the last little detail. If they truly have a relationship that is strong enough for them to consider creating a new life, it should be strong enough to survive keeping it in his pants for a while and focusing on YOU and his relationship with you. Then he can see if his feelings for her or for getting her pregnant has changed after some time apart. Not too much to ask, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I agree with everything Cindie said, and I'd like to add, What about her female partner's veiws? You said she's been living with a woman for quite a while. Is she OK with her lesbian lover suddenly being in a relationship with a (married) man? How does she feel about this sudden huge change? Is she poly? Does she want kids? Does she want your h's gf to move out, and in with 2 relative strangers? Does she want to be a mom too? Will she be involved, or is their relationship struggling to the point they on the verge of breaking up? Etc etc

I'd say you both need to meet with her as well and hammer out just the adult relationship variables here thoroughly and responsibly, long before an innocent child is brought into the mix.

It's sweet how everyone is acting here I think, the care being shown.

However to me it seems the OP is currently driving a bus, except she didn't know how to drive when she took over the wheel and is learning while dodging traffic. If she is at this current stage, 12 years into a relationship I must wonder what has been happening for those 12 years in regards to relationship skills...... it sounds like the married people haven't really been honest with each other for a long time, but stuck with each other because it was easier.

Now the new thing comes along and the man realizes he isn't really happy with the old situation. So following the path of dishonesty like he has for 12 years, he just continues to plow a new field whilst letting the old one slowly wither without much thought. Anyone interfering with his new field will pay a price because it's making him happy and he hasn't felt that in a while.

Tough situation, glad I'm not in it.

BTW, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with wanting kids 2 months into a relationship.... provided both people have wanted them for a while and know about all the ... things it involves. The guy doesn't fit that bill, though maybe the GF does?

You don't ever bring a baby into a situation where the adults haven't fully stabilized. You shouldn't be having his babies until the two of you are comfortable in your poly. She shouldn't be having his babies *period* after a two month relationship. Babies need stability, and babies have to come before adult needs.

You have every right to point that out. You also have every right to tell him that if he wants babies, you want to give them to him and it is in everyone's best interest that if you really feel strongly about this, you tell him plainly that if he knocks her up, that will impact his relationship with you in a very negative way.

Your concerns are completely valid. Stick to your guns, don't be afraid to communicate with him openly about how you feel about it, and good luck!

just wanted to drop in really quickly and give out an update. i did have a very short convo with my husband. he actually had been mentioning that he knew, cognitively, that none of us were ready for any of us to have babies. although i think romantically and sentimentally he still wants them right now. so i used that as a small platform. i asked if he and she were tired of worrying about accidents, had they thought of alternative birth control. right now they only use condoms. he said he had thought about that, and so had she, but not to much length. she had a lady dr appointment last week, but because of childhood trauma, was a little too wrecked to focus on more than the basic procedure. this also brought home the point to him, and he mentioned to her, that if she were to get pregnant at any point there would be lots and lots of dr visits. i think that had them both thinking. which is good. thinking is what we need to remember to do.

so nothing really accomplished, but i'm ok moving this slow. he knows how i feel, and he seems to be in control of his baby desires for the time being. that's all i ask for.

in the meantime, i'm having to get ahold of my own baby desires. the more time passes, the more i know i want at least one. but i know our situation is not ready. i can't help thinking if he had asked for a baby instead of a girlfriend 3 months ago, we'd be somewhere completely different. >.< c'est la vie

i'm willing to wait, to see where all this is going. i just hope everyone else is too.

It doesn't sound like he is being careful of these feelings. You need to receive a lot reassurance and care about this.

i did have a very short convo with my husband.

I'm hoping to read in your next post that you had a very long conversation with him, and that you addressed most of the concerns brought up by others and myself in this thread. It's much too important an issue to let slide with a short chat.

Back