How do you introduce your spouse to poly?

theatergeek

Some background on me: I've been married for 17 years, most of them happily. We have our ups and downs, and are blessed with two wonderful daughters.

As far back as, oh, I don't know, 3-4 years ago, I learned what polyamory was. Within the last two years, I learned more about it, and have a good understanding of what it's NOT (swinging, cheating, etc.), and a pretty good idea of what it is (even if I don't necessarily know all of it's variants).

Anyway, some time after a particularly rough period in our marriage, I was reading something in one of her women's magazines about polyamory, and had her read it. She asked if it was something I wanted to do; I indicated it was something I thought was worth considering. Well, nothing really happened after that - which was probably a good thing at the time. Nevertheless I interpreted her lack of further discussion as her not being all that interested in it for her (and not necessarily for me, either).

But that hasn't stopped me from wanted to explore poly further at this time in my life. Our relationship is very good presently, our kids are generally quite happy, and although we'd like to be on better financial footing (who doesn't?), I think none of us really have any complaints: we're in pretty good shape overall.

So I've been doing some searching online, and found a lot of great info about polyamory. What I've NOT found, is ways to broach the subject with spouse/significant other.

How do folks do that? How does one "break the ice" about poly to a long time partner? I'm aware that it will take time, and I need to go slowly. I'm not looking to go jump into anything right away, and I don't have anyone even "in mind" that I'd like to date. But I would like to explore it, and I know I need to be totally upfront about that and honest with my wife. I fear she may be VERY insecure and feel inadequate as a result.

Any pointers / tips / advice?

Thanks. :)

It sounds like you've broken some ice already. I think it's good that you're both discussing this before one of you has actually met someone you'd like to become involved with. Unless there is something you didn't mention.

You should prob'ly pick up a copy of "Roadmaps for the Clueless and Hopeful". It has a lot of info about what you're looking for. I still have quite a ways to go, but so far I am impressed by the way it tries to talk you OUT of poly, but it is a rhetorical style whose intent is to give balance to the "sunshine and roses aren't we all so wonderful because we're poly-amorous let's all have a group hug and sing kum-ba-yah" attitude. Having said that, it also contains some advice which is helpful in a relationship regardless of its position on the mono-poly spectrum.

I'm aware that it will take time, and I need to go slowly. I'm not looking to go jump into anything right away, and I don't have anyone even "in mind" that I'd like to date. But I would like to explore it, and I know I need to be totally upfront about that and honest with my wife. I fear she may be VERY insecure and feel inadequate as a result.

Any pointers / tips / advice?

Thanks. :)

The first thing I suggest you do is identify what you are looking for in a possible poly relationship. What it is you want, what it is you need. Will you be open to sharing her with another man? Definitely put yourself in her shoes and look at it from that perspective. What would your reaction be, how would you want her to bring it up? I would go so far as to write it out and see if it makes sense to you.

Opening up the lines of communication on this without properly forming your thoughts will lead to a possible lack of clarity and understanding; neither of which will lead to instilling security in your wife.

Now is the time to do some self analysis. After you are clear and honest with yourself, then proceed with her would be my advice.

Best wishes and take care:D

Back