Pledge Drive (Poly Film Project)

River

To the documentary filmmakers among us: I pledge $100.00, American, to the doc maker who will commit to a serious project under the title: The Polyamory Underground (Okay, the title is just a suggestion). I want to see a film made where the invisibles (with disguised voices and faces) talk openly about their "underground" life, their life of hiding in the poly closet, trembling in fear.... I want to see comparisons with pre-Stonewall Gay America and the post Stonewall era as a dream.... I want our invisibility visible.

Who will pledge money to this project? Let's collect $10,000. as a grant/gift to entice the right folks. And we can choose an existing poly org to decide among filmmakers who can / will apply for the grant money encouragement.

I'll create a topic for this called "Pledge Drive" in General Discussions.

http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=99711&postcount=152

Okay, River, I'm not sure which thread to reply to now. Do you know I'm a filmmaker? And docs are my thing, although my last project was narrative fiction.

If you're serious, we can put a project on Kickstarter to raise crowdfunding. But the first things to do are to create a treatment and a budget.

Last edited:
NYCindie,

I have a history and background in social organizing. Let's collaborate here, and by private email. Yes, we need a budget and a general plan -- what kind of film are we wanting to be made? It need not fit my original conception. I'm very much interested in discussion. We have a basic purpose in mind, I think. And we can go from there. The basic purpose, as I see it now, is to make public the hidden face of polyamory and the challenges of the "poly closet". And we have the LGBT "movement" as an historical contextualizer for the pains and challenges of "the closet," and the virtues of solidarity in "coming out".

Agreed?

Then we can work at getting donations for a granting agency, and decide on a trusted existing poly organization for the thumbs up on issuing grants.

Agreed?

You're aware of some tools -- which you mentioned -- which I have yet to learn about in detail.

>extending hand<

Let's say we do get a project going..., who here would donate money to it? Just checking.

I would. Kickstarter is a great idea, once there's enough of a concept together for.q.short video. I think there'd be a real market, and if it was positive I'd buy 5 copies!

I would contribute as well. And I've seen kickstarter raise 10k in three days for an indie musician to buy a veggie oil burning tour bus, so this'll get funded. I guarantee it.

I would also like to offer to help out with music. I know some very talented people in many different genres. And my own band is quite diverse. They will also work for whiskey and the promise of notoriety. ;)

Very cool! Apart from money (as I have none at the moment), let me know if I can help! Like being interviewed for instance... maybe from the angle of it being illegal under the polygamy law, to be living with my partners... hence not being "out" as a result.

Just want to warn everyone that this kind of thing takes time. The pre-production phase of a film, where all the planning, logistics, assembling a crew, casting (finding subjects), and fundraising happens, is the longest stage of making a film, even for a documentary. Could take six months, could take three years, before shooting actually happens.

And if we're asking a poly org to fund something, like a contest for filmmakers to compete to make it, that will also take time to set up, with legal considerations, etc.

Back