Need for term definitions in FAQ's?

Rarechild

I have noticed lots of debate going on in here over terms and their definitions.

I also notice we have a lot of visitors who are non-members who are probably coming here to learn what this whole thing is all about. If they happen not to stumble on the threads where the terms are argued/defined, they may go away without as much of an education as they could if they could look up a word they don't understand and keep in mind the definition as they read it being used.

I think this would also be helpful for new members to read so that we don't have to waste threads correcting one another.

This forum is one of the most legitimate sources of information on polyamory as far as I know- and I think it would be responsible to put terms and definitions in an easily accessible place for all to refer to.

Words that come to mind are:
Polyamory
Polyandry
Polyfidelity
Vee
Triad
Quad
Primary/Secondary
Unicorn:)
Swinging
Polygamy
Asexual
Compersion

I'm sure you can think of more. What do you think, folks?

Wiki

I think that would be a great addition in a sort of "to learn more about" context, but I don't think taking people off the forum site to get a sense of definitions is advisable. There is so much on the forum to learn through reading actual life experiences and views, I would hate to set people up to abandon the site before they can benefit from this.

Of course, it would be a tough thing to all agree on the definitions, and some terms cannot be defined in black and white, as we have seen in the forum.

The problem with citing dictionary definitions in my view is that they may be biased, incomplete, or nonexistent.

Moderators and those experienced enough to have a clear perspective- also with the inclination to endeavor working definitions that fit this site would be required. I know this might not be of interest to anyone, I was just thinking it would be helpful to me and the other newbies, and observed the non-newbies getting riled up about misuse.

I was imagining a way to combat arguments and confusion- so when terms are misused/misunderstood/unfamiliar, there is a consensus definition that we all have to work from and refer to/ expand upon for ourselves.

Like a Polyamory wiki, you might say.

Definitely

I had a feeling you would! I am one of those with great passion for clarity and research. There are too many empty or misused words flying around out there- not just on here.

I think we'd be doing a service to more than just our own group by creating an alternative definition list of our own.(i.e. people searching terms on google or similar) Thanks for your enthusiasm- can you think of any I missed on the original list?

Perhaps a good way to do this would be to take them one at a time, collect what's out there in terms of existing definitions, and put them up as their own threads to be discussed by all who have an opinion or input, and find a way to distill them into an understandable and clear working phrase.

I am willing to do some reasearch and discussion myself- although because I am new to this I don't feel I have the perspective to interpret all of it correctly.

Fun project, and I think meaningful and educational for us and anyone searching for poly info.

That's something we've tossed out on the Mods forum. It's simply been waiting for somebody to get enough time to put together a working lexicon to throw out for feedback.

Perhaps a good way to do this would be to take them one at a time, collect what's out there in terms of existing definitions, and put them up as their own threads to be discussed by all who have an opinion or input, and find a way to distill them into an understandable and clear working phrase.

I am willing to do some reasearch and discussion myself- although because I am new to this I don't feel I have the perspective to interpret all of it correctly.

Fun project, and I think meaningful and educational for us and anyone searching for poly info.

That's why I've not done it yet. Haven't had the time to round up all the sources and arrive at a definition or good discussion of differing definitions from them all.

I'll suggest using the major books and major web sites to gather the requisite variety of definitions. I can look up terms in the books I have available as sources, and list those.

Back