Looking for a few Spam Sweepers

ImaginaryIllusion

Administrator
Staff member
There has been some interest in the amount of spam we have on the boards, and some have asked if they could assist.

Here's a chance to pitch in and assist Polyamory.com in keeping the Spam where it belongs.

We're looking for a few people interested in becoming Spam Sweepers. Their role is to assist in sweeping the forum for spam and keep a watch on the reported posts. Sweepers will have limited Mod permissions for the purpose of spam control, focused on getting the spam out of the public eye as quickly as possible. The idea will be to un-approve spam posts that make it through the filters until such time as a mod can clean them up, or to approve legit posts that accidentally get caught in the filters.

The upshot? Be an anti-spam hero for the forum community and get the evil unsolicited advertisements away from the rest of the members.

The downside? You'll be able to see ALL the spam...not just the stuff that get's through the filters. Fair warning.

Anyone interested in helping out...can contact me via PM.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Mod:
-II

New Sweepers

We've had an excellent response from the Community with regards to this issue. We're still taking it one step at a time, so we're starting with the first four who expressed interest, and see where that takes us.

Sweepers:
  • Polyq4
  • Nycindie
  • LovingRadiance
  • Emm

Thanks to all who volunteered to assist the community, and I hope everyone will show the sweepers the support they deserve for taking on the war against Spam!

You all are working magic already! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
You guys are doing a great job! Since I've been back I have only noticed a very few bits of spam getting through (reported).

Really? Don't spamminate the spammers! [Wait what?] ;)

What is considered as spam

This goes as an earnest query to the members offering "spam sweeper" service.

What would you label as spam? Couldn't find any link informing what is spam or otherwise.

Thanx.

I think most spam is easy to spot. It's very in-your-face and often involves one spammer posting huge incoherent "messages" (often with some kind of splashy visual and always with links to one or more vendors) all over the place. But if I remember right, the line is usually drawn at any post with a link to any other site that seems to be selling something. But maybe if the linked site primarily does something other than sell (and/or solicit donations)? I guess that's where my expertise runs out and the mods might be able to clarify.

Ok! So, sending bulk messages and posting one message at different sub-forums come as Spam.

What else?

Posting anything with a link advertising a business or service that is not directly related to polyamory is considered spam. Your thread was deleted due to the fact that you used it for advertising your travel business. Deal with it and move on.

Posting anything with a link advertising a business or service that is not directly related to polyamory is considered spam. Your thread was deleted due to the fact that you used it for advertising your travel business. Deal with it and move on.

Ok. So posting a link, not directly related to polyamory, comes under spam.

What else?

I would think that'd be enough ... wouldn't it?

The point is that this is a website for people to share thoughts, feelings, ideas, questions, comments, and concerns, especially as relates to polyamory. It is a place for conversation free from the cares of the marketplace. Any post that says, "Buy this; buy that," or that shoves some kind of product or merchandise in your face, is attempting to change Polyamory.com from relationship support and comraderie into a wall of unwanted, unsolicited advertising. That's spam, and spamming is a cheap, disgusting, unpopular thing to do. This isn't a commercial site, nor is it Facebook (and even Facebook requires you to advertise through proper channels). If you've been spamming us (and it looks like you have), please stop doing it. If you're going to inhabit this forum at all, do so in a way that adds some class to the site.

I think you are looking for some clever little loophole you can use to continue your unwholesome practices and somehow require the mods to allow it. "I didn't technically break the rules." Well, I'm afraid that's not how it works. The mods have the power and privilege to remove your posts -- and ban you -- for any reason at any time. They're not going to be answerable to you. If they see a post and think, "This looks like spam," they're going to delete it. They don't have to explain themselves to anyone. In fact if something is offensive or off-topic in any way, they have every right to delete that post as well, and/or ban the poster as they see fit.

Of course the mods will try to be reasonable and start with warnings as appropriate, but don't expect them to go easy on you given the obvious intentions you have to peddle your wares. Spam isn't looked upon kindly by anyone here. It is dealt with swiftly and decisively. Go ahead and try to get away with it; you'll find out what I mean.

If I thought you were serious about being a beneficial part of Polyamory.com, then I'd advise you to carefully read the site guidelines. I'd say look for mentions of spam and spamming in two particular posts: http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16422#post16422 and http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16423#post16423

... but even the guidelines aren't some legal document that the mods can be held to, nor do said guidelines cover every conceivable situation comprehensively. They are only guidelines. That is, they give you a general idea of what's expected of you, and what consequences you can expect if you violate the letter and/or spirit of the law. To summarize, if you are a spammer (and I see that you are), then you'd best tuck your tail between your legs and go find another, less-vigilant site to pollute. It won't fly on this site.

While speaking only as a member, as I am not a moderator; I can only speak from own understanding of the rules,
Kevin T.

Back