HTTPS certificate

Feynman

I noticed that HTTPS is enabled for these forums, but that it is using a self-signed certificate. I just wanted to point out that there is a free CA that will issue SSL/TLS certificates for a domain without requiring any payment: StartCom.

Their web site interface is horrible and it's quite difficult to get around, but I've used them in the past and the certs are good for one year. Using them (or somebody else) would alleviate users who wish to use HTTPS from being presented with a warning about a certificate that they have no way of trusting. Then again, it's possible that I'm being fooled by a middleman and that you guys do have a CA-signed certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little curious as to why this is an issue.

I'm a little curious as to why this is an issue.

It's not bothering me so much as a suggestion. I can store the self-signed cert locally and be done with it, but it'd be nicer for other people who happen to want to use HTTPS with this web site if they don't have to take the gamble of deciding whether or not the cert is a man in the middle.

It matters most for people who are browsing from cafes or using a proxy they don't control.

Back