Biblical Christian Poly Living

Re (from TheWind):
"James, the brother of Jesus, was older, ergo another wife."

I take it you mean that Joseph must have had a second wife because Mary was purportedly a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus.

For the love of Pete, people*, please quote the person to whom you are referring. A few of you are sounding like nutty religious freaks on street corners, shouting into thin air. If you don't quote and respond to a particular person, you just sound like you're spouting off to nobody in particualr, especially when there are several subjects going in a thread.

*Mr. Wind & Mr. Boston

I will try to answer you Magdyln, as I have had this site the windows 10 I am running dump me 3 times already. Kevin, I have always seen you as open minded an inquisitive

Wind, make sure you check the box "remember me" when you sign into this site. Then you won't lose what you are typing.

For Magdalyn and her post.
1- I was in a hurry it is 300s, the 4th Century
2-yes a king, pope, religious leaders, merchants, anyone that has an interest in the smooth running of the kingdom.
3- Greek terms mean that the original was possibly corrupted by being far removed from the source. That is the problem. Josephus only gives Jesus some brief mention as a wandering preacher. If he was so important at the, why did Josephus not give more information?
4- As for him being from a poor relative, Some historians feel that John the Baptist was actually the High Priest. That Jesus had a claim to the throne. So he was not too distant. In Judaism, the nation had two leaders, the King and the High Priest. There are to be two Messiahs, a King and a High Priest. Two cousins, Jesus and John would have fulfilled that. They would have been a threat to the Romans and their puppet. Who was not Herod the Great, he was dead before Jesus was born and their is no record of all Jewish first born being killed other than the NT.
I am stopping here as I am tired of typing and having it dumped. I will be back tomorrow.

Magdlyn, I have I switched to Windows 10, it corrected some of my issues. It may also be Norton, do not try Norton...

...Greek terms mean that the original was possibly corrupted by being far removed from the source. That is the problem. Josephus only gives Jesus some brief mention as a wandering preacher. If he was so important at the, why did Josephus not give more information?

The entire New Testament was originally written in Greek.

I agree about lack of Jesus being mentioned by Josephus. Nor was Nazareth or the mythical "Magdala," home of Mary Magdalene, mentioned.

As for him being from a poor relative, some historians feel that John the Baptist was actually the high priest...

Highly speculative. Why would he leave that cushy job and go preach and baptize in the desert? He was more likely an Essene.

...that Jesus had a claim to the throne. So he was not too distant. In Judaism, the nation had two leaders, the King and the High Priest. There are to be two Messiahs, a King and a High Priest.

Hadn't heard that theory either. Where did you read that?

Two cousins, Jesus and John, would have fulfilled that. They would have been a threat to the Romans and their puppet...

But if there is no evidence Jesus existed, what of this theory?

...who was not Herod the Great. He was dead before Jesus was born. There is no record of all Jewish first born being killed other than the NT.

Right. Those supposed murders are merely midrash referring back to the tale of what Pharaoh attempted back in Moses' day, 1200 years earlier.

Last edited:
Most likely Jesus was an Esscene, as for the two Messiah, that was from one of the Rabbis I had at Temple. Jesus takes over his mission after he was killed. We really only have what is attributed to Jesus. There is nothing that he ever wrote down. His teachings were classic Judaism though. nothing spectacular. His main theme was the return of the House of David.
I rarely use anything from the NT, there are so many translations. I did have an opportunity to study with a Jewish Biblical scholar. He knew the T*r*h and the NT in English, Greek and Hebrew... he showed me many problems with the translations. I would defer to his knowledge.

Beyond Doubt and Fear

Is there a chance we could put the issue of belief in the existence or nature of Christ in another thread?

It would be nice if there could be a thread useful to those of us who love Jesus more than life itself.

There are many issues that could be discussed that would be beneficial to me and I'm sure others who have been brought up to fear carrying out the single command Jesus gave to us to befriend and love each other.

I have learned a lot from this forum.

One of the things that has come to light for me is that I don't have normal conversations, I preach. I think this is one more of the side effects of interacting with people at religious ceremonies instead of as best friends who are comfortable with each other.

The other thing that has come to light is that my shadow world of secrets about my passion to love and be loved is a place of fear.

On the other hand as my wife and I continue to move away from this place of fear we are actually having fun.

I was referred to naturism when I first revealed to a therapist the sexual abuse that took place in our family. My wife and I now enjoy a place near by where we aren't ashamed to be seen or to see naked people.

We've come to understand that interest in and desire to be close to a variety of people is fine so long as it is done with a deep respect for ourselves and each other.

Most or all of these principles coincide nicely with what we know about Christ's life and His commands.

We are not commodities. We are not ceremonial icons. We are humans created in His image to be like Him.

Adultery is betrayal. Lust is an uncontrollable desire to have something that hasn't been offered or given to us. Sex is the most absurd reason there could be to justify betrayal, compulsiveness or abuse.

In heaven we will be like the angels with new bodies, minds and a renewed spirit. Not sure if that means we'll have the same equipment attached to our bodies we have now but whatever.

I do hope we can bifurcate this thread to not be used to rant and rave about politics disguised as religion.

Although I do think it would be useful to start a thread where we can rant and rave about the religious institutions who would think that they have a right to do and say things that hurt the weakest, most vulnerable members of our society.

Turning our backs on a world of hate is distinctly different than embracing a world where we continue to learn to enjoy how much fun it is to love each other.

Sorry for the sermon. I'm working on changing my deep channels but it's not easy.

I'd be interested to know if there are other people on the forum who love Jesus who have had good experiences with their love life that isn't traditional or monogamous that aren't afraid to exchange information?

Re:
"Is there a chance we could put the issue of belief in the existence or nature of Christ in another thread?"

That thread already exists: What Do You Make of Jesus?

... which in turn is an offshoot of: Is There a God?

Re:
"It would be nice if there could be a thread useful to those of us who love Jesus more than life itself."

That seems more specialized, so I have started a new thread: For Those Who Deeply Love Jesus. I hope it will serve the purpose you have in mind, loveboston.

Re: naturism ... I am in favor of it, but I'm too chicken to try it myself.

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ..."
-- 1 John 4:18

Your thoughts?

Thanks Kevin

I'm glad we have several threads that are almost like several classes here at Love University :)

I don't particularly like bible classes but I do like learning how the bible has impacted a lot of us negatively so I can continue to learn how to love appropriately.

The bible, like the constitution is used by people with radically different outlooks to justify their behavior.

The extremists in the Christian movement even believe the constitution is god's word as much as the bible is.

I do like that we have a couple of resident professors in Mag and OP who are quick to challenge the misuse of the bible.

I'm also very happy that we now have two accompanying classes on how to maintain a spirit of love in spite of religious bullies along with a class on the effects religious bullies have had on our love lives.

I know this serious study of the bible might not be the appropriate classroom setting to express my love and admiration for Mag and OP's big brains but I can't resist.

Wind, make sure you check the box "remember me" when you sign into this site. Then you won't lose what you are typing.

Magdlyn, I have I switched to Windows 10, it corrected some of my issues. It may also be Norton, do not try Norton...

TheWind, Mags is right - losing your posts while typing has nothing to do with windows or your virus protection. It's the forum software timing out. The only way to prevent it is to check "Remember Me" when you login.

If you use Firefox, you can also use the add-on called Lazarus - it recovers keystrokes in online forms and works here too.

We agree

My wife and I both agree there needs to be a different type of Christian church. It'd be nice if there was actually a poly Christian church. Or even a church for any religion to come to where they can learn more about poly and what it's all about. And learn how to live a very happy life.

The church is what?

I think part of our problem in western culture is we've attached ourselves to that translation which renders the word "church" which we tend to associate with a building or denomination, or even a particular dogma.

The original word from the greek is "Ekklesia" which really translates more closely to "a gathering or assembly". The principal point is the "church" as Jesus referred to it is the people it consists of.

And there really can be only one Ekklesia for Jesus followers. We may differ on different points of doctrine and how we may choose to worship, but it's all one - or should be in my understanding.

Unfortunately, this also means the church or Ekklesia is made up of people - fallible, often irritating, dogmatic... people. It's too easy for us to point at this church or that denomination and say "wrong, wrong, wrong" - and confuse that with Jesus' Ekklesia.

If we are genuinely trying to follow Jesus in his teaching of how to live our lives and truly believe he is in fact God of all creation, then we're part of his Ekklesia - regardless of whatever exterior trappings we associate ourselves with.

I think in terms of the poly lifestyle for genuine Jesus followers, you have to decide whether what Jesus taught supports or discourages it. And of course you will have very different opinions on that. But, that should not divide us.

Back