Thank you, admins!

TruckerPete

A big thank you to whomever cleaned the site up this morning!

You guys don't get enough credit. :)

(Feel free to delete this, since it's not poly.)

Yeah what a ton of spam lately! Thanks, Neon.

Yeah... so much Cyrillic.. Generally I enjoy it... not so much here... haha

Thanks admins and mods!:)

Yeah... so much Cyrillic.. Generally I enjoy it... not so much here... haha

Thanks admins and mods!:)

Ya, some of them are in Polish now, but it's not even the real Polish alphabet (I noticed in your profile that you have "the Polish language" as one of your interests. my family is from Poland).

Ya, some of them are in Polish now, but it's not even the real Polish alphabet (I noticed in your profile that you have "the Polish language" as one of your interests. my family is from Poland).

I haven't seen any of the Polish spam yet...

But yeah, I am interested in Polish and Slavic language. I am not at all Polish, but met a girl who introduced me to, and then got me hooked on the language.

Do you speak and Polish Neon? Or have any family that is fluent?

I haven't seen any of the Polish spam yet...

But yeah, I am interested in Polish and Slavic language. I am not at all Polish, but met a girl who introduced me to, and then got me hooked on the language.

Do you speak and Polish Neon? Or have any family that is fluent?

You haven't seen the Polish spam because I deleted it. Even if it is Polish, it is still spam, and we don't want it.

I understand some polish, but I don't read or write it very well (obviously I can recognize it when I see it), and I speak some words to my elderly grandfather who is in a nursing home, but mostly I just nod and repeat back the last few words he says to me that I am able to understand. The nursing home staff thinks that I speak "perfect Polish", LOL! My parents were/are fluent, but my mother is dead and I don't really have any contact with my father. I've been wanting to take a class at the Cambridge Adult Education Center, but it starts at 7:30 at night and it conflicts with my sleep and roller derby schedule(s).

I'd love to take Polish lessons.... its a difficult language to self teach. :/ Sadly the closest place that offers them is 2 hours away. :(

Thats awesome you are of Polish decent though, Neon! This is about the last place I expected to meet someone who could appreciate the crazy, yet beautiful language!

onomatopoeic

My new English word of the day! haha

The cases and declensions really grab me. I have not been able to understand them very well yet, but its interesting how the ending of words shift and morph so much.

And as for pronouncing Polish words... a fair few make my poor tongue want to cry... others sound like guttural sounds, like trzy and cztery, and I connot figure out how to say them.

I'd love to meet a Pole that was willing to coach my pronunciation and laugh at me/with me. lol

My new English word of the day! haha

The cases and declensions really grab me. I have not been able to understand them very well yet, but its interesting how the ending of words shift and morph so much.

And as for pronouncing Polish words... a fair few make my poor tongue want to cry... others sound like guttural sounds, like trzy and cztery, and I connot figure out how to say them.

I'd love to meet a Pole that was willing to coach my pronunciation and laugh at me/with me. lol

I don't know if you can teach someone to make those sounds. I grew up hearing other people say them and I copied it just like I copied the english words I heard. It is hard to imagine how one would pronounce a word with 5 or 6 consonants in a row, but some of those consonants are not actually separate sounds, they are one sound in two or three letters, like "tch" in "stitch" in english. but I'll tell you that I do detect a difference in the way i hold my tongue and palate when I'm pronouncing polish words. I'm not sure if it's possible to describe it to someone unless they have grown up speaking two different languages, or at least being exposed to more than one language from infanthood. I think it probably has something to do with the wiring of the brain prior to the acquisition of linguistic skills in a person's development (like if you speak gibberish baby-talk to an infant or toddler, it will mimic those speech patterns, so will it mimic more mature and diverse speech patterns if it is exposed to them).

Last edited:
Thank you NK

Yeah, NK is pretty much the shit with the spam-zapping. Just try it, assholes.

I hardly ever get to zap spam because she or one of the other awesome mods have outdrawn me. When I do, it's kind of exciting, cause I feel like I helped. :)

-R

Yeah, NK is pretty much the shit with the spam-zapping. Just try it, assholes.

I hardly ever get to zap spam because she or one of the other awesome mods have outdrawn me. When I do, it's kind of exciting, cause I feel like I helped. :)

-R

But I told you I have no life right now.

To further hijack the topic... sorry TP:p

I agree with you Neon, it takes forever for my English wired brain and tongue to sorta "loosen up" so to speak to even get close to pronouncing some Polish words.

Wrocław for example I had to say over and over about 500 times (not even kidding) to get the hang of it... and then you have to overcome the tendency to use English letter sounds and say it like "wro-claw". :/

The trilled "r" that comes so naturally to speakers of many languages fights me tooth and nail to come out sounding even halfway natural.

I think it would help if I had a patient native speaker that wanted to just slowly say the word over and over until I could sort out the sounds. Some online stuff goes way to fast for a beginner to figure out.

Along with a g/f, I am looking for a native speaker of Polish to make friends with.... maybe life will be super kind to me and they will be the same person. hah

To further hijack the topic... sorry TP:p

I agree with you Neon, it takes forever for my English wired brain and tongue to sorta "loosen up" so to speak to even get close to pronouncing some Polish words.

Wrocław for example I had to say over and over about 500 times (not even kidding) to get the hang of it... and then you have to overcome the tendency to use English letter sounds and say it like "wro-claw". :/

The trilled "r" that comes so naturally to speakers of many languages fights me tooth and nail to come out sounding even halfway natural.

I think it would help if I had a patient native speaker that wanted to just slowly say the word over and over until I could sort out the sounds. Some online stuff goes way to fast for a beginner to figure out.

Along with a g/f, I am looking for a native speaker of Polish to make friends with.... maybe life will be super kind to me and they will be the same person. hah

I had to re-learn the trilled 'r' as i lost it when i started public school and spent more time with my peers and less time with my grandparents (I don't mean to make it sound sad, that's the way it goes for most people and there's nothing wrong with it).

All this stuff is a pain in the ass when you're learning a new language. I had the same problems when I was taking French in high school. French is another language that is very fussy about declensions, tenses, and gender. English is more like German. Although German has tenses, declensions, and gender, it is much more flexible when it comes to grammar. As long as everything is in there somewhere and agrees with regard to the 3 criteria mentioned, it doesn't really matter as much what order everything is in. In French, it really is a big deal where you put the "ne" and the "pas" in relation to one another; in German, throw a "nicht" somewhere in there and you're good to go.

I remember when my mother visited France for the first time at age 50 or so. She (as a native Polish speaker from birth) said it was much easier for her to learn French than it was for her to learn English (which she did at age 14, btw) because the structure was very similar, and all she had to do was learn a few vocabulary words. I have heard that English is one of the hardest languages to learn for a non-native speaker.

Back