Weight loss support

I'd like to jump in here. New the board and love the idea of this thread. Ive been trying to loose some weight for a while now. Im not really that heavy but I am over weight and bigger then I use to be so Im not happy. Im 5'2 and weight about 160-165 depending on the time of day or month lol. Id like to be at 140. Id need to be atleast 132 I think to be the weight dr's say I should be I guess (but I think thats kinda small for me). Before I had kids I was 135 that was a long time ago.

I've cut out all soda, its been over 5 months now and Ive lost about 10 pds. I started at 170ish. I dont weight myself often and dont have a scale in the house that works. I mainly go by my clothes that I need to get back into.

I use zumba on the wii for a workout.

The scale was moving down for me, but now it went back up. I tend to fluctuate a lot, a few pounds up then down, then up again before I actually begin to lose. I know drinking water makes a difference.

Okay, so I have to say this, since it's a thread about weight loss, but a few of you have made this mistake and I'm really persnickety about such things: "lose" is a verb that means the opposite of "find." "Loose" is an adjective that means the opposite of "tight." So, please remember, you don't loose weight, you lose it. But after you do, your jeans become loose!

I use zumba on the wii for a workout.

I've always wanted to try Zumba - I think I might have to buy that for the Wii!

Down 3 more lbs.

Starting to feel stronger....which is what I am actually after. I want my strength back. :)

Way to go SourGirl!!!! :)

Okay, so I have to say this, since it's a thread about weight loss, but a few of you have made this mistake and I'm really persnickety about such things: "lose" is a verb that means the opposite of "find." "Loose" is an adjective that means the opposite of "tight." So, please remember, you don't loose weight, you lose it. But after you do, your jeans become loose!

That's one of my pet peeves too, including your, you're; our, are; their, there, they're; to, too etc. Maybe it's because I've worked in schools for 18 years - but I'm "persnickety" about that too! I also do not use, or let my daughter use, text abbreviations - no u (you), ur (your/you're), etc. I expect her to write it out and use punctuation!
----------------------------------------

Trying to motivate myself to go out and do my C25K walk/run today. My legs feel heavy and my joints are stiff - but I have to do it! Wish me luck!

Have been drinking more water, less pop. :)

The "our" "are" one makes me INSANE! Absolutely INSANE.
I'm pushing the "they're" "there" & "their" one right now with the 11 year old. ;)

Lots of salt,lots of generally crap food and too much work without working out..

Hasn't been a good week haha

We all have those days/weeks! Tomorrow's a new day!

-------------------------------------------------

Today I will continue with my 5K training. I have set a goal, told people (for accountability) and am determined to follow through and NOT give up!!

I have started consciously drinking more water, less Diet Coke. I bought a water bottle that I really like and take it with me wherever I go. This is a big change for me.

Our sons birthday was yesterday - so I did have a cookie cake Saturday and a yummy birthday cake yesterday - and more than I should have. Have to do better food wise this week.

Hope everyone is doing good!

Ari-right there with ya.
KT-GREAT JOB ON THE WATERBOTTLE!!!

I have been eating shit and sitting on my ass. Yesterday I went for a walk. Felt good to get up and do something.
Today I walked to the lake (about 3 miles) with the little one. I now have a blister on each of my baby toes and 3 cuts on the top of each foot. LAME LAME LAME (didn't wear my good running shoes-dumb dumb dumb).

SO-I don't see a nice walk in my schedule for tomorrow-but I am going to focus on what I eat (which I did today) and drinking my water (which I also did today).

I skated between 3 and 7 hours a day for the past 3 days. Today I have taken the day off and have done nothing (other than grocery shopping) outside the house.

Derby - now that I've actually seen a roller derby - you (and all the other derby-ers) have my admiration and respect! :)
---------------------------------------------

Just finished Week 1 Day 3 of my Couch to 5K training. I have been EXHAUSTED all day and actually came home from work and took a nap (which I never do!) So I had to literally force myself to go on my walk/run. I'm glad I did! :) I took the kids and the dog with me - what a nice way to end the day! :)

Just got home from the lake. Seriously-oldest daughter dropped GG, the little one and me off. We hung out, had lunch, then walked home. :) (feet still hurt, but not as bad as yesterday).

Week 2 Day 1 of C25K - and it was tough. Probably my worse day working out. Ugh!! I sluggishly jogged and not for the full 90 seconds. Probably not a good idea to workout right after eating steak, potatoes, green beans and bread. :( But - at least I made the attempt.*That's a change.

Still doing good with drinking more water and less pop. Not completely off pop but cut it down drastically. Of course I have to pee every 20 minutes - but it's worth it. :p

Hopefully going to our local amusement park tomorrow (if it doesn't rain) for our sons kid birthday party. Will be doing TONS of walking - but also tons of eating. Will have to really push my workout on Saturday to make up for it!

Hopefully going to our local amusement park tomorrow (if it doesn't rain) for our sons kid birthday party. Will be doing TONS of walking - but also tons of eating. Will have to really push my workout on Saturday to make up for it!

Bring healthy snacks with you to carry around at all times, like carrot sticks, so that you're not tempted by all the greasy crap at an amusement park. High water content foods are great - like sliced cukes or celery. Also some good health granola/snack bars, like Kashi or Clif bars. And don't forget your water bottle - have fun!

While I feel oversalted and like I gained some weight in the us. I went shopping and am still down a couple of sizes. Now that I am back home for a short time, I am looking forward to some hiking, mountain biking... hell maybe even some canoeing if I can get one.

Planning on taking full advantage of whistler while I am still here.

Bring healthy snacks with you to carry around at all times, like carrot sticks, so that you're not tempted by all the greasy crap at an amusement park. High water content foods are great - like sliced cukes or celery. Also some good health granola/snack bars, like Kashi or Clif bars. And don't forget your water bottle - have fun!

Thanks for the ideas. We ended up not going to the amusement park due to rain (though it didn't rain all day like it was supposed to) so we took the kids to get pizza and see a movie. I didn't do so well - 3 pieces of pizza, popcorn, candy, and pop. And I caved to my craving for Starbucks. :(

Must, must, must jog/walk today.

While I feel oversalted and like I gained some weight in the us. I went shopping and am still down a couple of sizes. Now that I am back home for a short time, I am looking forward to some hiking, mountain biking... hell maybe even some canoeing if I can get one.

Planning on taking full advantage of whistler while I am still here.

:) Sounds like fun!

KT, I really think it would serve you to look at your eating as a form of a addiction that is part of your relationship issues. Over-eating is a form of comfort and unless we stop it we won't look at the reasons behind it. All that happens is that we maintain an unhealthy, unattractive weight that makes us insecure about ourselves and our relationship, as well as prone to depression. Over-eaters anonymous uses the same 12 step programme that AA does.

I've always had weight issues, I think I went on my first diet when I was 10. Since giving up alcohol at the beginning of the year and going from having an active business and a garden to living in an apartment and sitting on my backside writing all day the weight has just piled on. Ironic really when everyone said to me that if I gave up the wine I wouldn't have a weight problem because I didn't eat that much.

But I just swapped my alcohol addiction to food. Food doesn't do for me what alcohol did but when I started binging on sugary things and getting a kind of sugar hangover the next day I knew something was up. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I really wanted to get it sorted for once and for all. So I joined the Weight Watchers. AA has worked so well for me I thought the structure of weight watchers would do a similar thing. Of course I can't give up food completely but by following the programme carefully I seem to have food under control and feel so much better.

I presume WW is the same in the US and Canada as it is down under. The new pro-points system is fantastic because you get 49 extra points every week for extras without having to save them up from your daily allowance.
Everything is also online so tracking and saving favourites makes it all so much easier. I have tried weight watchers heaps of times but this is a HUGE improvement. And of course you can have a version on your iphone but that's a bit trickier for a techno-phobe like me.

KT, I really think it would serve you to look at your eating as a form of a addiction that is part of your relationship issues. Over-eating is a form of comfort and unless we stop it we won't look at the reasons behind it. All that happens is that we maintain an unhealthy, unattractive weight that makes us insecure about ourselves and our relationship, as well as prone to depression. Over-eaters anonymous uses the same 12 step programme that AA does.

I've always had weight issues, I think I went on my first diet when I was 10. Since giving up alcohol at the beginning of the year and going from having an active business and a garden to living in an apartment and sitting on my backside writing all day the weight has just piled on. Ironic really when everyone said to me that if I gave up the wine I wouldn't have a weight problem because I didn't eat that much.

But I just swapped my alcohol addiction to food. Food doesn't do for me what alcohol did but when I started binging on sugary things and getting a kind of sugar hangover the next day I knew something was up. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I really wanted to get it sorted for once and for all. So I joined the Weight Watchers. AA has worked so well for me I thought the structure of weight watchers would do a similar thing. Of course I can't give up food completely but by following the programme carefully I seem to have food under control and feel so much better.

I presume WW is the same in the US and Canada as it is down under. The new pro-points system is fantastic because you get 49 extra points every week for extras without having to save them up from your daily allowance.
Everything is also online so tracking and saving favourites makes it all so much easier. I have tried weight watchers heaps of times but this is a HUGE improvement. And of course you can have a version on your iphone but that's a bit trickier for a techno-phobe like me.

Sage - I absolutely know that I am an emotional eater and that a lot of the bad habits I have adopted over the years are a result of my depression, low self esteem and need to self comfort. While I haven't gained weight over the last two years that we have been having this emotional relationship upheaval - but it sure hasn't helped.

I have tried WW in the past - and it worked short term. I ended up not being able to afford it - so I quit. I have seen that they have revamped their program since I was last on WW - but money is still the issue. I know that it is something that I can do on my own - but the accountability of going to the meetings and getting weighed seemed to help. I would eventually possibly like to start it up again - but for right now I am trying to make small changes and smarter choices in my eating habits. Maybe I'll take a look at the app and see if its something I think I can do.

I am so glad to hear that WW is working for you! :)

On Thursday, 2rings, our son and I went for a walk/bike ride in the park. At first I was able to keep up with 2rings stride and felt strong and capable. As I started jogging as part of my 5K training - I started experiencing really painful shin pain (shin splints?) that forced me to stop running. It's probably because I need new shoes - but its also largely due to the fact that I am 100+ pounds over weight and that is a lot of pressure to put on my legs and feet. I was getting extremely frustrated and disappointed in myself. I'm really committed to this and I am trying to push myself as hard as I can and not being able to jog is really hard on me. 2rings was great support and continued to give me a lot of encouragement and praise. He suggested I stop running for now and focus more on walking and speed walking until I start losing weight - making jogging easier eventually.

On Saturday, I went out for a walk by myself. Again, I tried pushing myself and jogged as much as I could - which wasn't much. I probably walked more than I jogged. Again - very frustrated with myself! I came home upset, frustrated, disappointed and feeling like a failure.

Today, 2rings and our son rode their bikes, and our daughter and I wallked to a nearby neighborhood, had lunch at our favorite sandwich shop and walked back. It was a total of 3.3 miles round trip, uphill the way there, and it was in the 80's and sunny today. It was hard, it was tiring, and it was the farthest I have walked in a LONG time! But - I am proud of myself (and my family) for doing it!!! AND - when we got to the sandwich shop - instead of each of us getting our own sandwiches like we usually do - 2rings and I shared one and the kids shared one. That is one of the small changes that we, and I specifically, need to change.

We have not been good role models, health wise, for our children. We are both very overweight, eat out a lot, and eat junk food. Luckily our daughter LOVES vegetables and is at a good weight. Our son, is a pretty picky eater, and is very skinny. So while I know that what we teach them will follow them the rest of their lives, so far, it hasn't negatively affected them weight wise. The last few weeks we have been much, much more active than usual - and I hope we continue to do physical things as a family like we did today! :D

KT Weight watchers isn't expensive. It's about $13 per week and I find I'm probably saving nearly that because I'm eating less and have cut out junk. Take away the stuff you had at the movies and you've probably paid for a weeks membership. It's also an investment in you, something you would be doing just for you.

The trouble with not having the group support and weekly accountability is that I let things slide. Or if I exercise a lot and get extra hungry I eat too much and
then lose the plot.

Weigh in tonight :)

I do Jenny Craig, which is much more expensive because you have to buy their food (fortunately, it's really good). We have to supplement the food with vegies, fruit, and dairy. I guess for just me, it comes to about $180/week. but in NYC that's still cheaper than dining out as often as I did, and comparable to grocery shopping. But yeah, WW, which I've done in the past, isn't very expensive because you still buy real food at the grocery, can use coupons, etc., and you do eat less. At JC, they talk about "volumizing" your meals - which means that you add volume with vegetables, salad, etc., so that you feel satisfied but with healthy stuff.

It helps to sit down with a budget sometimes when you're trying to lose weight and look at all the $$ we spend on crap that has no nutrition. I know I have personally wasted tons of cash on food that was unhealthy and fattening.

Back