Testing the waters...

MrDreadful

Hi all,

After 6 years of marriage I am taking my first steps into the world of polyamory. My wife is resolutely mono, but after much discussion (some of it admittedly quite loud and tearful) she understands that as much as I love her and want to spend the rest of my life with her I find monogamy deeply unfulfilling and that was just making both of us miserable.

I've wanted this for so long and now it's a possibility I'm actually kinda scared! I mean, at some point I'll have to talk to Actual Women about Wanting To Go Out With Them... and I've never been much good at talking to women really (it's a miracle I met my wife, to be honest!). Really now taking deep breaths and telling myself not to rush it, or be too intense about it (because I can be very intense about stuff), and just relax.

Welcome aboard.

Have you suggested to your wife that she read our boards, too? I suspect she'd benefit from it.

Hello. I am mono, my husband is poly and has had a gf for over a year. I would highly suggest your wife join the boards and read everything she can. There are a few blogs on here written by monos who share their experiences, ups and downs, breakthroughs and more. You would also benefit by reading blogs from a mono point of view. However, it's one thing to talk about it - it's a completely different thing to actually experience it.

The key is patience and communication!

Best of luck!
:) Kat :)

Back