Name This Animal

River

Okay, okay..., somehow the term "unicorn" has been given definition. A "unicorn" is a "hot bi babe" who is single and polyamorous... and elusive--, one supposes, mainly because she's expected or desired to love both members of a "straight" couple..., in which at least the female member of said couple is... --you got it, bi.

But hold on a minute! How do unicorns continue to exist as a single-sexed species?

Let us imagine two queer guys, also bi, who are a couple. These do exist, no? Let us further imagine that they are considering opening things up to a third in a triad situation.

Or let us imagine two queer women, also bi, etc....

Why are these elusive animals thereby nameless?:confused:

Could www.polyamory.com provide them with a name?

Discuss.

Why isn't a "hot bi guy" who is "single and poly" also a "unicorn"? The reason may be that "unicorn" has come to mean "hot bi gal" ... etc.

But what shall we call the hot bi guy?

"Toad" or "snake" are not acceptable answers.

8718peacock_wrk1.jpg

Dragon? It's a mythical beast but sounds more manly? Phoenix?

On the table for discussion (and perhaps future voting)...

Potential names for the "hot bi poly guy" desired by a male & female couple:

(a) dragon

(b) phoenix

(c) peacock

(d) gryphon

any others?

(Now I have to look up "Gryphon".)

Gryphon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gryphon

Alt. spelling - griffin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin

Sphinx?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphinx

List of legendary creatures
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures

Centaur?

centaur.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest Centaur or Manticore... although Centaur goes along with the equine theme of unicorn at least.

Centuar Was a good one!

... although Centaur goes along with the equine theme of unicorn at least.

I like this about it as well. I'll through my weight behind Centaur as well -- provisionally. Let's first see if any objections to Centaur arrise. There may be unknown good reasons not to choose Centaur(?).

Sorry, is a unicorn a woman who is exclusive to their couple too? Elusive and exclusive?

If we were to go with a Wiccan theme I would go with whatever Pan is. He gets around that little devil ;)

Speaking as the sagitarius that I am, a centaur would do me proud, they certainly have the reputation... Check out some famous centaurs and you'll see!

Don't know how that relates to a hot bi guy though, but then how does a unicorn?

By the way, I have a very hot bi guy! My husband! He has just started a relationship with a wonderful man. Moving slowly, but all is good. Very redpepper approved! More and more I am happy for them...

He has just started a relationship with a wonderful man. Moving slowly, but all is good. Very redpepper approved! More and more I am happy for them...

That's so refreshing to hear! Congratulations to all.

===

I'm not sure about the exclusivity thing regards the unicorn (in conventional usage), etc. But I'd say that exclusivity needn't be there in order for one to qualify. Exclusivity wasn't a part of any definition of "unicorn" I've seen.

Exclusivity IS part of what makes the "Unicorn/HBB" stereotype "elusive".

Okay, but this is where things begin to get so tricky that some folks will wonder why we're attempting to "legislate" the usage of terms like "unicorn".

I can only say that I don't see enough evidence to suggest that common usage of "unicorn" in the poly "community" (discourse?) restricts the unicorn to (availabilty toward) exclusivity -- or polyfidelity in a triad. A "unicorn," therefore, is a single bisexual polyamorous woman. And its important to keep in mind that she is not a single bisexual swinging woman. That is, the relationship she's desired to enter into is a loving relationship, not merely a sexual one.

Such a unicorn is perhaps a little less elusive than the one seeking -- or willing to enter into -- a polyfidelitous relationship, but she's still a "unicorn".

And so it would be with the hot bi guy, whatever he will be named.

EDIT:

I believe there are probably quite a large number of triads out there which are semi-"closed," or quasi-polyfidelitous, or whatever. That is, they are committed to being a family unit but also allow for some physical and emotional intimacy with others outside of that family unit.

Last edited:
This is not that complicated. A hot bi-female is called a unicorn in the colloquial vernacular, whether she's single or involved.

So the question becomes what to call a hot bi-male. My suggestion: bicorn. ;)

My suggestion: bicorn. ;)

LOL!

There's no damn such thing as a bicorn! Unicorns, at least, are rare. They do exist -- if only in the pages of children's books.

Show me a bicorn, I dare you!

After careful examination of the "flow chart" linked to in post 17 [http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5076&postcount=17], I've decided that either (a) the author of that flow chart is decidedly NOT a polyamorist or (b) the author of the flow chart is simply cracking a joke about people who are not polyamorists and yet pretend to be polyamorists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see here...

Redpepper: If we were to go with a Wiccan theme I would go with whatever Pan is. He gets around that little devil

That would be a Fawn. Although a Fawn typically lives for the moment and the pleasures to be found.
fawn.gif

And before you ask a satyr is similar but his horns are typically longer and curled and he has the body of an ape I believe.

JRiverMartin: There's no damn such thing as a bicorn!
Oh dear, you are wrong!
"Bicorn: A mythical beast, fabled by the early French romancers to grow very fat through living on good and enduring husbands. "
Only problem is that a bicorn is a "plump female monster, resembling a well-fed panther with a human face and a broad grin"
Unfortunately I cannot find a good picture of one. :p

I'm gonna have to stick with Centaur. :)

This is not that complicated. A hot bi-female is called a unicorn in the colloquial vernacular, whether she's single or involved.

So it could be a married woman that is involved with a couple?

sorry for the confusion, but I am just realizing that I might once have been a unicorn if the definition fits for married women.

A fawn, thanks Vandalin.... yes, I guess they do live for the moment don't they... hmmm.... swinger definition maybe...

Oh dear, you are wrong!

Indeed I was! I had no idea that there really were bicorns! Being female, and plump, they probably aren't our best choice to represent the elusive hot bi poly guy.

I've never been wrong before..., this is very strange!:eek:

Back