Let's Do This!

AlsoMary

Hiya all!

Just a funny side-note to start off with: I joined a few days ago, but I waited to write my intro because I had all four wisdom teeth removed Friday morning. Let's just say the medications have made me a bit out of it. However, my brain has cleared enough now for me to make a go at this!

Y'all can call me Mary Beth. I grew up in a small rural town in Kansas, though my family was not originally from the area. Due to the cliquish nature of the town, my mother had always been treated like an outsider. I recieved similar treatment, though to a much lesser degree. I was lucky enough to have an encouraging mother that always let my siblings and me decide our own opinions of things like religion, politics, sexuality, and where we wanted our lives to go. So between an open-minded mama and a close-minded town, a very open-minded young lady was produced.

I'm starting my second year of college down in Alabama. I've been lucky enough to make more friends that are similarly open-minded. However, when I finally began to realize that my tendencies leaned towards polyarmory (and were not something to be guilty about), I had no one to talk to that had any experience with the matter. I also found that some of my fraternity brothers (I am a member of a professional co-ed fraternity) were not as open-minded as I had before thought. Needless to say, this presented an impasse in my exploration of myself. That second semester of freshman year was really awful and difficult for me emotionally. But I made it through, and I've worked very hard this summer to find that happy Mary again.

I'm still a polyvirgin who is stuck in the closet, but I'm hoping to learn more and spread my wings! (I've already got a supportive mother and best friend on my side that know my secret, so I'm moving in the right direction!)

Anywhoo, thank you for reading!

Greetings Mary Beth,
Welcome to our forum. Please feel free to lurk, browse, etc.

You made the right call in joining Polyamory.com; this is where you can find people who share your views on polyamory and can talk with you about it and even become your online friends and confidants.

Might there be any local poly groups in the area where you're going to school? If there are, you could make some friends in person that way. Google "Alabama polyamory" or "polyamory" with the name of your city (or nearest major city). I can also post a list of links for you if you're interested that might aid you in the search for local poly groups.

In any case, take advantage of this site's wealth of collective experience and wisdom; it will help you prepare for a richly poly life and to do the job right. May you spread your wings and fly!

Sincerely,
Kevin T., "official greeter" :)

Notes:

There's a *lot* of good info in Golden Nuggets. Have a look!

Please read through the guidelines if you haven't already.

Note: You needn't read every reply to your posts, especially if someone posts in a disagreeable way. Given the size and scope of the site it's hard not to run into the occasional disagreeable person. Please contact the mods if you do (or if you see any spam), and you can block the person if you want.

If you have any questions about the board itself, please private-message a mod and they'll do their best to help.

Welcome aboard!

Thank you for the kind welcome!

I have been unfortunately been unable to find any local groups close my school. However, I did send an email to the campus's LGBTQ+ organization to ask if they knew if any resources. Hopefully I'll get back some good news!

Sounds good; keep us posted.

Back