Feelings on "Pets"

Patches, refined enough to drink from a glass:

picture.php

Awww.

And some good news: I think I'll be able to log off of Polyamory.com like within the hour. (Lady Luck stay with me, I beg of thee ...) Actually caught up on intros! It's been at least two weeks since I've been caught up and ready to log off. As they say in Star Wars IV: "Alllmost thayer ..."

Patches, refined enough to drink from a glass:

Oh gosh. Meika loves glasses of water. Only she believes the proper way to drink from a glass is to tip it over and lick up the contents.

Fortunately, she knows the difference between water and other drinks, and that it's ... less inappropriate ... to knock over water. She doesn't do it with other things.

She also has finely tuned hearing for the bottled water bubbles. She even has her own dish for it. I can't decide if she actually likes the taste better, or if she just thinks it's special because Mummy drinks it.

Cats (like dogs) are truly unique individuals, they show it every day. Sometimes they can be fun and exasperating (not too exasperating -- just the right amount) at the same time! :)

Sorry about the delay, got pulled aside to watch a bit of TV. Will turn in soon and if I'm lucky I'll even get to log off of Polyamory.com, close the internet window and erase all the cookies, browsing history (from Facebook, Yahoo, you name it), etc. ... Sigh, it's been weeks since the last time I had that chance. Would be so nice ...

Gotta finish a PM and then I think I'm done. If all goes well, I'll actually be caught up on my whole Polyamory.com agenda for the ... I did mention it's been weeks, right? It's only supposed to take me one day. Oh and I've been running on four hours of sleep today so ... sure could use some real, deep-sleep rest.

[/off-topic-ness, carry on all]

if any of your animals have a bad habit of breaking and entering

EDITED BY DIRTCLUSTIT

you know Kevin,

It isn't right of me to make all sorts of slanderous accusations and then not be willing to go into detail.

that was unfair of me, my sense of humor isn't always appropriate so I can understand how either you were being light hearted or I was being oversensitive.

It not wise of me to always answer as I would as an individual, not unless it was a personal circumstance and certainly not on a poly site where making it a point to disagree doesn't help anybody who may be looking for help

Last edited:
Meika's expression pretty much expresses my feelings on where this discussion is going.

2ecq9w9.png

Can't see the pic (I haz a sad), but I'm pretty sure I know what you're getting at.

Edited to add: Whoops, never mind. I haz a happy again. Great pic. :)

Last edited:
Big huge sigh; hmmm, could it be that this thread has taken a turn back for the better after all? Ahhh, then the mods won't have to lock it. Everybody wins (and I do mean that).

Yeah, "Help, get me up on this shelf by the ceiling and keep me safe from the madness," is right. Meika gets what's what around here!

@ Dirtclustit ... wow, either you successfully boggled me with sarcasm the likes of which I'd never known could be, or you've graced upon me a profound state of surprise and relief (and I do mean that).

Don't suppose perchance humor drove some of your recent expressions? If so then, damn, I thought I knew my humor. I'm, duly embarrassed for taking it the wrong way. Sorry. Kinda cool though, to think that I might have new stuff to learn about laughs: coz I likes me some laughs, and likes learning about them too.

Re:
"... if any of your animals have a bad habit of breaking and entering ..."

Eh heh heh; I fancy I correctly perceive that post title as a humorous one (and if not, pardon begged ...). Yes exactly: I gots to keep my pets indoors due to their habit of stealing the neighbors' stuff, snooping into their private records, infesting their computers with newly-coded viruses, and knocking over their houseplants for good measure. ;)

Re:
"It isn't right of me to make all sorts of slanderous accusations and then not be willing to go into detail."

Thank you; details and examples do often help me get a clue about how to do better (and comprehend a subject better as well).

Re:
"My sense of humor isn't always appropriate so I can understand how either you were being light-hearted or I was being oversensitive."

Oh my yes, that's exactly it: I was acting quite light-hearted (no doubt in poor taste, the lack of common social sense being a talent of mine). While not using my past to excuse myself per se, I still desire to draw attention to it, particularly that part where I and my siblings collectively developed the (dysfunctional) coping mechanism of finding ways to laugh it up when the chips were down. So sometimes, when I sense I'm in deep do do, rather than making an angry display I'll prefer to make a comedic display, in hopes of "tricking" everyone into filling their lungs with a new bounty of fresh air, and with that distraction, perhaps pausing for a moment to get perspective and a reality check. So if my motives are twisted, they're still sincere.

Re:
"It's not wise of me to always answer as I would as an individual, not unless it was a personal circumstance and certainly not on a poly site where making it a point to disagree doesn't help anybody who may be looking for help."

Right because, disagreeing is essentially harmless, but making a "point" to disagree tends to turn words into sharp nasty pointy things that get stabbed into people (even if the stabbing wasn't meant as such). So I always like to plead: Everyone, everyone, please disagree gently and respectfully as much as possible. Please don't resort to all-caps, put-downs, etc., to drive your point home. Just calmly/considerately make your point and then kindly back away to make room for others to have fair turn and opportunity to share how they think and feel about it. This way, what might have been a depressing argument, turns into an encouraging exchange of diverse ideas. Gosh, don'tcha think that sounds a lot nicer? I sure do.

Ahem, and in conclusion: Thank you for your merciful words, I was in dire need of a dose of that (and I do mean that).

Respectfully (but light-heartedly),
Kevin T.

P.S. It finally happened, I finished catching up on *all* internet to-do items, even the Polyamory.com items, closed my overworked internet window, deleted my cookies and my history and my ... ahhh, can't tell you what self-congratulating satisfaction that paid me. For the first time in weeks I slept like a baby. So yay for the little triumphs in life!

Regards to all,
Kevin.

I still hate journalists,

and their journalism/terrorist mindfucking, I think you may have mistook my respect for polyamory for respect for you, sorry bout the miscommunication big k

ETA my bad, forgot the smiley face to communicate tongue near cheek =)

Last edited:
Dear Big K,

Uh heh, heh ... I think I get it ... [cheek twitching]

Thank you for accidentally respecting me by respecting polyamory. LOLOLOLOL!!

Okay, ya know the real reason we need to turn our pets loose? cause they're living with masters who are *completely insane!* BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAHHHHH ...

Wait, what happened to Sophie and Rainee ... and why are they slowly backing away from me ...

Respectful smooches,
Kevin T.

I wish I could have taken a selfie this morning, but reaching for my phone would have broken up the moment.

I woke up to Meika curled up in her usual spot beside my pillow, and Pinky had managed to snuggle herself in between us. I'm pretty sure I rolled over and squished her, but she didn't seem to mind.

It would appear that you've a couple of snugglers on your hands. :)

picture.php

Finally figured out this photo thing!

Thanks everyone who responded about my issues with Tiny Cat and not being able to sleep. I realize she is just being a cat. And she is healthy enough to be herself which I am actually grateful for. I did not think she would live this long given her initial diagnosis.

I continue to try and manage. I'm feeding her just before I go to bed which has helped greatly. She leaves mostly me alone when I go to bed or hangs out upstairs relatively quietly. Before I moved her feeding time she would want to interact well up to 1 am or later. I'm playing with her in the evening to tire her out a bit. I'm going to try some other things to see if they help. She regularly wants me up at 4 or 5 am though.

I would reluctantly give Tiny Cat to another home but am considering it. And I worry about giving Tiny Dog enough of what he needs and wants. He's been in the dumps about Tiny Cat being around and taking up some of my time. They get along - no fighting. But he is used to being my only pet and that is not true now.

picture.php

Finally figured out this photo thing!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm not seeing the image, even when I try to load the link directly. Looks like the link in your post here is good (yay!) but the picture isn't there? :confused:

As for Tiny Cat, I'm glad that the night feeding is helping out. My two usually like trying to rouse me at about 5am as well, so there may be nothing much you can do about that. Patches will come in, and after a bit of meowing, she'll lay down with me. Baby is quite food-oriented, and only comes up to see me in order to nudge my face and wake me up. If that doesn't work, he goes over to my bedside table to knock things over. Lather, rinse, repeat. The brat. :p

Re:
"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm not seeing the image, even when I try to load the link directly. Looks like the link in your post here is good (yay!) but the picture isn't there? :confused:"

Gosh I don't see any link, let alone a picture. Strange ...

Re: Tiny Cat ... unlike dogs, I think cats are rather inclined to give orders rather than to take orders. It isn't easy to "teach a cat a new trick." The cat pretty much has to see it as his/her own idea.

If the night feedings are helpful, then that's a bit of hope and progress. Though it rubs her nature the wrong way, there's a decent chance that Tiny Cat will still "bug you" at 4:00 or 5:00 a.m., but only briefly and then settle down next to you, having confirmed to herself that "It's not time yet." Cats can be patient when they want to.

Re: Tiny Dog ... I reckon you're probably dealing with the same problem as parents who give birth to a second child, or a polyamorist adding a new well-entwined partner to his/her life, or anyone starting any kind of a new and highly-committed relationship when they already have highly-committed relationships that need their attention. Unless Tiny Cat be adopted out, it will become Tiny Dog's cross to bear to accept a smaller amount of time and attention from you. There's no getting around that reality. In time you'll probably chance upon better opportunities to recalibrate how your time and attention is balanced between the two pets, but perhaps right now Tiny Cat is for all practical purposes demanding the "lion's" share.

Multiple relationships (and polyamorists and monogamists both have them, for there's unnumerable platonic relationships of varying degress of intensity to consider as well as romantic relationships) will always be hard to juggle, and you have to make wise judgment calls about how many relationships you yourself can adequately juggle within your own life. Perfect balance is impossible, and perfect fairness is virtually impossible. You approach the virtually impossible as best you can, and make your own judgment call on whether you get "close enough."

The bottom line is that you're facing a difficult puzzle that only you can solve, for you are the closest to situation and the best at knowing the details of the situation and the limitations of your own mind and heart. By no means try to be "Superwoman." Just accept/pardon/forgive the limitations you have (cause everyone has limitations of a range of types and quantities), and make the wisest choices you can on how to work around those limitations. Some can be overcome in this lifetime, but others are as permanent and ubiquitous as blindness or a missing limb. So maybe you can (eventually) adequately handle two pets, in terms of giving each the time and attention that he/she wants and needs from you. Or, maybe not. That's a call that only you can make.

Non-human people, like human people, also have their limitations, and some of their limitations are lifelong too. So like Patches, if you decide to keep your cat, your cat may learn to overcome some/many of her limitations (and/or instincts if you will), but not all. At some point you'll have too decide if you can live with the stuff that's too hard-wired within her to re-wire.

I know these are hard decisions and my long-winded post probably hasn't made the decisions much if any easier. :(

Good luck and may love conquer all,
Kevin T.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm not seeing the image, even when I try to load the link directly. Looks like the link in your post here is good (yay!) but the picture isn't there? :confused

Gosh I don't see any link, let alone a picture. Strange ...

I uploaded the picture into my album 'Pets'. I then copied the URL of the picture in the album into the post. Did I miss a step? I am stumped as to why others can't see the picture. I can see it just fine.

Forum friends, help?

I uploaded the picture into my album 'Pets'. I then copied the URL of the picture in the album into the post. Did I miss a step? I am stumped as to why others can't see the picture. I can see it just fine.

Forum friends, help?

Is your album set to private? If I go to your profile and try to select the album, it gives me an error.

When you select your album, there are two options at the top right, one of which is "Edit Album" - select that and look at the two options at the bottom of the page it takes you to. You'll want to make sure "Public" is selected.

HTH!

Last edited:
Regrettably, I confess that I'm a complete dummy in the field of post-pic-posting, so I'll just hope others will pass by and have some actual suggestions for you.

Regards always,
Kevin T.

P.S. Oopsie doopsie! No sooner do I post that post, than when I discover that YouAreHere already had a suggestion. I believe that makes me slow on multiple levels ...

Last edited:
I've said my feelings on "pets" and no one hear has convinced me to change them in fact every one's replies only reinforces my views of these matters, and it seems I have had some mixed results with trying to get people here to understand my view points.~

That's fine though, I just hope some one here learned some thing from this discussion.~

Happy Thanksgiving every one,

I'm grateful for conversations like this!~ ^_^

Also visit my album for your photo fantastic viewing pleasure!~ ^_^

Love,

ColorsWolf

Last edited:
In any discussion about any hot-button topic, I seldom expect (or even hope for) anyone to change their minds about anything. Usually the best we can do is gain better knowledge about the subject, and perhaps a bit more appreciation for the reasoning behind the opposing view.

If I have disappointed you by not understanding (any or all of) your viewpoints, then I'm sorry to have failed you in that manner. I gave it a try.

And @ opalescent ... if all else fails in your pic-posting attempts, you could visit http://www.polyamory.com/forum/showgroups.php and ask a mod or admin for help.

Sincerely,
Kevin T.

Back