Came out to our kids yesterday

TL4everu2

So, yesterday, the wife and I decided to actually come out to our kids. They are 18 and 13.

It went surprisingly well. Although I couldn't expect anything less as our kids are pretty well grounded.

We went out to eat at a local outdoor place so we wouldn't be listened to by too many people. We all sat down and began eating. During the course of the meal, we (my wife and I) dropped hypothetical questions. i.e. What would you say if you saw mom out with so and so....Kissing. Or what would you think if you found out your friend was in a "different" type of relationship. Then, we explained what "Polyamory" was NOT. The difficulty we had with this, is that there is so much that it IS. LOL But, once we got through that, we told them that we were poly. They just looked at us and said "ok...so?" Then we asked them if they had any questions for us. Our 18 y/o asked us why we chose one specific person that we told them about. She was kinda joking, but we explained to her that sometimes the looks are unimportant. She said "Ok, I guess...but HIM? Wow mom....Just wow."

So there you have it...We're out to our kids....The rest of the family....not so much. LOL

Yes, it does. It was VERY difficult to do this...We waited with our 18 y/o, so that we could tell them both at the same time. We felt that the 13 y/o was too young to understand until now.

Congrats!

I know for me that it would be a NIGHTMARE if I had to try to keep it a "secret" from my kids-they are with me ALL OF THE TIME. Literally!
It is so relieving to be able to give GG a kiss goodbye and they don't even blink-it's just normal. ;)

Back