Texting agreements

Out of curiosity, wouldn't a phone call be more appropriate for an emergency? If my kid was in "emergency" trouble, I wouldn't want to be sitting around waiting to see if co-parent got my text or not, I'd want them on the phone NOW.
I say to people all the time that in an emergency, a doctor is the best person for my son. Most of the time, I'm too far away to be any use.

Texting while fucking! I can't believe you people!

Ultimate in disrespect to both partners.

People need to be TOLD this?

If I read it right, it sounds more like a failed experiment in exhibitionism than plain-ol texting during sex (which I agree should be common sense to just NOT do that).

I've been known (when a night out with my ex was spent in silence with him texting on the other side of the table) to be a wiseass and text him something like, "The food is great, isn't it? How's yours?"

Of course, he'd constantly tweet and update FB with pictures of his food, so maybe he WANTED to interact that way. :rolleyes:

My partner is one of those people who updates Facebook at the most inappropriate times and has no qualms about texting 10 seconds after sex. This is more of a general behavioral issue than a "don't text this specific person" issue.

So when it gets out of hand while we're supposed to be spending time together, I mention that it bothers me. If he chooses not to stop, I find other things to do. I can't control what he does, but I can control what I put up with.

We have a few agreements. No phones on dates, during meals, during family time, in bed, in shower (we shower together).
This is true for BOTH of my relationships and actually-most of those are "no electronics" not just no phones.

It is one of the ways we help "stay in the moment" experiences for our lives. These aren't "rules" that we enforce on each other, but preferences we have agreed to through experience, trial and error.

And-I have to say after a year of living by these expectations, we are all happier for it. Not only in our romances, but in our lives as a whole.

Back