Any advice on how to protect partner financially?

akpitman

I am legally married to my husband, we have had a committed relationship with a female partner for two years. We both have good jobs with large corporations. We are both on our own companies benefits packages. Is there any way to add our partner to either one of our companies insurance policies without committing insurance fraud?
Can either of us, being married, register as a domestic partner with our third?
thanks for any help or hints.

in case it matters we live in Portland Oregon

Definitely matters where you live, because different states and countries have very different laws.
I don't believe you can register as a domestic partner if you are married. I know we can't in Alaska.

There are business partnership options in many places & there are of course "wills". But neither of those would manage the medical benefits aspect.

Some poly people form LLCs, but I'm not quite sure how that helps them. There is stuff on the internet about that.

You could also set up some kind of trust account. I think you really need to see a professional financial advisor, or an attorney who specializes in poly.

As far as health insurance, I believe the only way someone can be on your policy is if they are considered a dependent.

Maybe an extreme suggestion, but technically you could divorce and have one of you marry the woman.

You might have to go private (not company provided) and pay out of pocket for coverage, wills and whatnot are less of a hassle.

No, and no. You cannot have a domestic partner if you're married, and you can't add her to your insurance unless she fits the definition of a dependent on your policy -- likely a child or step-child under the age of 26, or permanently and totally disabled.

LLCs are a way of purchasing coverage for a family in the same way that a company would. If you've already got employer-sponsored health care for you and your spouse, this is not likely to be cost-effective for you as an option.

Your sweetie's best bet is probably to purchase coverage through the new Obamacare exchanges. The premiums are significantly lower (and the coverage better) than a private insurance plan purchased outside of the exchange. She would also likely qualify for a subsidy if her income is <400% of the Federal Poverty Level for her family size. (ie. her + dependents + a legal spouse, if she has one).

Come Jan 1st neither you or your partner can purchase insurance outside of your job through the new exchanges. you have to go through employer & the fact both offer it disqualifies both of you.

As far as adding her as a dependent she won't qualify unless you adopt her & she's under 26. The only remedy is divorce & one of you marry her. It might be cheaper to just buy it fir her through the exchange. I have a friend there in OR family of 5 & it'll be $600a per month for them through the exchange.

Come Jan 1st neither you or your partner can purchase insurance outside of your job through the new exchanges. you have to go through employer & the fact both offer it disqualifies both of you.

As far as adding her as a dependent she won't qualify unless you adopt her & she's under 26. The only remedy is divorce & one of you marry her. It might be cheaper to just buy it fir her through the exchange. I have a friend there in OR family of 5 & it'll be $600a per month for them through the exchange.
Look into your companies policy however. Where I work you actually have the option to putting anyone (friend, family member, spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, roommate) on your policy (because they still get paid for it).

Look into your companies policy however. Where I work you actually have the option to putting anyone (friend, family member, spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, roommate) on your policy (because they still get paid for it).

What health insurance company is it? Here in the NW I've never heard of that type of coverage.

What health insurance company is it? Here in the NW I've never heard of that type of coverage.

WOW!!! I've never heard of that either, but it does depend on what state you're in, whether any insurance co. can offer that.

What's weird is I've been at companies with the same insurance co. who did that offer that. This job is the first place I had seen it.

What's weird is I've been at companies with the same insurance co. who did that offer that. This job is the first place I had seen it.

What is the insurance company? Could be a good bit of business for them if they actually offer plans that can apply to a poly family.

Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield

There is only company that has stepped forward

and has done the responsible, right thing to do which doesn't always make good business sense, however healthcare is one of those industries wherein it cannot be successfully run if those in charge pretend it is the same entity as a business. The problem is that you cannot put a price on the cost-cutting strategy since the industry does not deal with widgets, the "product" that is their business is Human life.

But enough of my lecturing, if you are an employee of a business that is run by the parent company "PeaceHealth" then so long as you share the same residence with your partner then yes, you can include her and she can be covered by your insurance benefit plan.

I forget how long you need to have been living together, but it isn't very long, I think a year or two, but so long as you have been living together and continue to share the same residence, they will allow you to add them legally to your policy.

Unfortunately, this is only for the policies they offer as their employee benefit insurance. As far as I know you cannot purchase such a plan as no other company has decided to follow suit and do the right thing. Peacehealth is a medical group, as in a medical care provider and not technically in the medical insurance industry, so while they can choose what they can offer employees as an insurance benefit they cannot offer to the public as a service.

It would be worth checking out though, it would be awesome if they did go into the insurance business, because they would be strongly supported by a growing number of people who everyday choose to do the right thing, even when it is not the most convenient option

Peacehealth is a non-profit company here in the Pacific Northwest, and they implemented the plan I mentioned way back in 05 or 06, I think, they are an extremely fair company so I wouldn't be surprised if things had changed and it was the company mentioned in this thread by others

Last edited:
and has done the responsible, right thing to do which doesn't always make good business sense, however healthcare is one of those industries wherein it cannot be successfully run if those in charge pretend it is the same entity as a business. The problem is that you cannot put a price on the cost-cutting strategy since the industry does not deal with widgets, the "product" that is their business is Human life.

But enough of my lecturing, if you are an employee of a business that is run by the parent company "PeaceHealth" then so long as you share the same residence with your partner then yes, you can include her and she can be covered by your insurance benefit plan.

I forget how long you need to have been living together, but it isn't very long, I think a year or two, but so long as you have been living together and continue to share the same residence, they will allow you to add them legally to your policy.

Unfortunately, this is only for the policies they offer as their employee benefit insurance. As far as I know you cannot purchase such a plan as no other company has decided to follow suit and do the right thing. Peacehealth is a medical group, as in a medical care provider and not technically in the medical insurance industry, so while they can choose what they can offer employees as an insurance benefit they cannot offer to the public as a service.

It would be worth checking out though, it would be awesome if they did go into the insurance business, because they would be strongly supported by a growing number of people who everyday choose to do the right thing, even when it is not the most convenient option

Peacehealth is a non-profit company here in the Pacific Northwest, and they implemented the plan I mentioned way back in 05 or 06, I think, they are an extremely fair company so I wouldn't be surprised if things had changed and it was the company mentioned in this thread by others

OP should look into Peacehealth since they are in Portland. The new company I work for will cover me a 100% after 90 days & 50% of my dependents. I was shocked due to their small size but one of the owners SO use to work for Premera & I think he's got some leeway on how the policy got structured. My last firm was bigger but I had to pay 30% of my premium & 100% of my dependents.

Back