non-sexual emotional connection

redpepper

As the result of another thread....

LR, its funny I remember you and I talking about this previously. At that time I would have written no. Not at all. I was beginning to believe I was not Poly, and finding another would never happen.

I think overall, Poly has been worth it. Pengrah naturally fits the mold and its good to see her so happy and excited over someone. In my case, it does feel natural. An extension of what I was already doing.

I had lots of female friends, I doted over them all, treating them like girlfriends, but never getting that reciprocated. And honestly never expecting it. I just like to treat the women in my life well. But it did come to a head at one point, when one of them said "I like having you around, you are like having a boyfriend, but I don't have to fuck you"...needless to say that hit me the wrong way. Thats when I realized I love, loving other people. But that I needed to start enjoying people that may love me back.

I have found someone to hopefully do that. Only time will tell :)

Poly has been one of the most tumultuous lessons in my life, but one of the best as well.

Ari, I'm disappointed. I thought I could be friends and I could treat another as I would a boyfriend and not have sex with them. This is the relationship I have with my non sexual boyfriend and it works for us. Maybe its about talking about it and agreeing to it? You mean you and I, who the capacity to treat others as if they were our partner would not be able to be friends this way? You wouldn't want that with someone like me because we won't be having sex with me? That's sad, and disappointing. I'm glad to know this as I wouldn't want to invest and find out that it was for nothing. How can one tell ahead of time.

Last edited:
Ari, I'm disappointed. I thought I could be friends and I could treat another as I would a boyfriend and not have sex with them. This is the relationship I have with my non sexual boyfriend and it works for us. Maybe its about talking about it and agreeing to it? You mean you and I, who the capacity to treat others as if they were our partner would not be able to be friends this way? You wouldn't want that with someone like me because we won't be having sex with me? That's sad, and disappointing. I'm glad to know this as I wouldn't want to invest and find out that it was for nothing. How can one tell ahead of time.

You misread what I said..and maybe its how I wrote it, sorry, I was under some stress this morning. I can do that and still do do that, but it made me realize something I was missing. Hence one reason why I found poly.

I still have all those friends and have a non sexual boyfriend type relationship with a couple of them. It just helped me clue over to something I had been seeking a along.

Keep in mind another distinct difference to any non sexual connected relationship I have vs what I have with these girls. They were making use of my kindness as a supplement during times when they didn't have boyfriends. It was a situation where I was simply good enough to have around. Poly changes that dynamic greatly. They think as monos. We think as poly's ;)...when they found a bf, they didn't have a use for me anymore and I was tossed aside until such a time as they needed a supplement boyfriend again.

Hope that makes sense :)

Last edited by a moderator:
RedPepper, I really feel what you are saying, I also thought that I could have a non-sexual partner, and it worked well for about a year. Then things started to deteriorate between us, and recently we did get sexually involved to a degree, not sure if it was a last ditch attempt to reconnect or a realization that things were over so why not push boundaries. We just broke up and I'm hurting a whole lot.

Right now, I'm telling myself that "next time" I'll stay on the friendship level and NOT bring in the emotional and/or sexual component. The deep connection and intimacy that I crave is very satisfying when it works, but heartbreaking when it falls apart or when the other person's needs change, and I really don't want to deal with all that drama ever again.

One of the girls I mentioned, I still have a strong emotional connection but non sexual (she never used me as a surrogate). Our ex as well. (although it WAS sexual but isn't now)...I wonder how many people have these in their lives already.

I still have a strong emotional connection but non sexual ...I wonder how many people have these in their lives already.

I have. I have had a few of those types of relationships/friendships.

I had one where if you looked at it from a purely time standpoint - she was my primary and our husbands were our secondaries :p

I miss that deep connection with another woman. That friendship that binds us regardless of other people.

Its part of why I wanted poly... I'd already been doing it :)

I have a very dear friend who I have never been sexually involved with at all and it still felt like a really painful breakup when she got into a relationship and overnight basically changed the nature of the relationship we had with each other. We're finding our footing again now but I doubt that the closeness we had will ever be there again and that makes me a little sad.

Yes that makes sense Ari, thank you. I get what you mean about them not having boyfriends and using you. Entirely different than what I was getting. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Last edited:
RedPepper, I really feel what you are saying, I also thought that I could have a non-sexual partner, and it worked well for about a year. Then things started to deteriorate between us, and recently we did get sexually involved to a degree, not sure if it was a last ditch attempt to reconnect or a realization that things were over so why not push boundaries. We just broke up and I'm hurting a whole lot.

Right now, I'm telling myself that "next time" I'll stay on the friendship level and NOT bring in the emotional and/or sexual component. The deep connection and intimacy that I crave is very satisfying when it works, but heartbreaking when it falls apart or when the other person's needs change, and I really don't want to deal with all that drama ever again.

wow, that sucks... thanks for sharing that. I wonder sometime what could be, but I know that if he and I ever crossed that line, there would be a lot of people influenced, including us. I can't say that it's worth it either way as I don't know... it's like deciding to have a child, when you don't have one and have considered it, it will always be a mystery if it is worth having one just to find out, and when you do it's too late, because you have one now. I feel this way about my nsfb. Most of the time not though, we have so much to share and I know he loves me in the way that he is suppose to as I do him. It makes my heart sing, just as it is... :) Time will tell though I suppose.

wow, that sucks... thanks for sharing that. I wonder sometime what could be, but I know that if he and I ever crossed that line, there would be a lot of people influenced, including us. I can't say that it's worth it either way as I don't know... it's like deciding to have a child, when you don't have one and have considered it, it will always be a mystery if it is worth having one just to find out, and when you do it's too late, because you have one now. I feel this way about my nsfb. Most of the time not though, we have so much to share and I know he loves me in the way that he is suppose to as I do him. It makes my heart sing, just as it is... :) Time will tell though I suppose.

They were making use of my kindness as a supplement during times when they didn't have boyfriends. It was a situation where I was simply good enough to have around. Poly changes that dynamic greatly.

There's something here that I find kind of disturbing.

Now, there is something about the way that many people do serial monogamy that means that opposite gender friends get dumped when a new relationship comes along. That sucks, and it's really bad behaviour on the part of those people.

But really, nobody owes us anything in exchange for kindness. If one has a friendship, one is kind to one's friend because one values him or her. One isn't being "used" if that kindness isn't rewarded by resulting in a different kind (or length) of relationship. It's up to us to not do things that we'll resent if the relationship doesn't develop the way that we'd like.

Time will tell though I suppose.

Polynerdist could handle it I'm sure, as could Derby. I would step aside in a heart beat to see you follow all your relationships to where they go naturally...just so you know. He's definitely some one worthy of you :) We could switch roles!

Polynerdist could handle it I'm sure, as could Derby. I would step aside in a heart beat to see you follow all your relationships to where they go naturally...just so you know. He's definitely some one worthy of you :) We could switch roles!

Somehow I don't think she wants you stepping aside though...although I do see what you're saying that if it came to that that you would rather keep yourself healthy and still be able to maintain a non-physical connection with RP. You do know that you really are a one in a million type of guy don't you?

Now, there is something about the way that many people do serial monogamy that means that opposite gender friends get dumped when a new relationship comes along. That sucks, and it's really bad behaviour on the part of those people.

But really, nobody owes us anything in exchange for kindness. If one has a friendship, one is kind to one's friend because one values him or her. One isn't being "used" if that kindness isn't rewarded by resulting in a different kind (or length) of relationship. It's up to us to not do things that we'll resent if the relationship doesn't develop the way that we'd like.

For me personally, I wouldn't exactly feel used. But I would feel undervalued and not very interested in investing further in this friendship.

Just my two cents, no idea if Ari feels used or not.

Anotherbo :)

Last edited:
There's something here that I find kind of disturbing.
But really, nobody owes us anything in exchange for kindness. ... One isn't being "used" if that kindness isn't rewarded by resulting in a different kind (or length) of relationship.

I've also had the experience of feeling "used" when I become a part of someone's life, only to get dropped when they start a new relationship. It took me a long time to learn "nobody owes us anything in exchange for kindness" and I think that is a really important concept, one that I wish would get more attention in poly discussions.

I've always supported my friends/lovers freedom to pursue the relationships that they wanted in their lives, but along with that has to also come the freedom to pull away from, or outright terminate, those relationships that they no longer want or find fulfilling. Of course this is really tough when the relationship in question is with me!

Personally, it's the "you're like a boyfriend, but I don't have to fuck you" that resonates wrong with me. It sounds a bit like "I have boyfriends to fill a void and have sex with them because I have to". But it also means "instead of taking what I need and giving sex in return, I take what I need and give nothing in return". Which is why I get the "feeling used" part.

I think when you love someone, you want to make them happy even if you don't get anything in return. But if they seem to treat you without respect... Then yes, feeling used and ending it makes sense.

I have friends who I love madly who aren't sexual partners.
I have in the past had sexual partners that I wasn't madly in love with as well.

I think it's crappy when two people are in a relationship of ANY status and haven't managed to iron out what level of "input" and "output" they are each interested in having, because it can result in someone feeling shafted.

I was just telling Maca today-one of the reasons that I limit myself so significantly in terms of giving of myself to a relationship is because I need to know "are you in or not". Until I know that you are IN for the long haul-I'm not interested in considering what role you may fill in my life.
If we're still at "I don't know" stage in terms of how long the relationship is going to last, then you aren't even a "friend", you are just an acquaintance and I'm damn sure not interested in sharing my "energy" with you.

Does that make any sense?
Sorry-I think I lost logic in my rant. :(

Back