How common are one sided open relationships?

Amnati

I'm just curious how many other people on these message boards experience something similar to my situation.

My wife and I have been in an open relationship for 2.5 years now. I was the one to initiate being open and I was seeing a woman for a few months, but things fizzled when she moved. I haven't been in a physical relationship with anyone other than my wife since, not due to lack of desire, but simply lack of any other parties being interested in me.

On the flip side, my wife has been on and off with a guy for two years now and also been with a few couples.

How common is this sort of situation? I'm happy for her, but it gets old being the one to stay home with my son when she is seeing other people.

Thanks

Both my husbands are mono.

Both my husbands are mono as well.

My boyfriend is mono. There was a couple years where i was mono while husband still had fuck buddies.

I agree go out and have fun too. Say two nights a week she goes out and two nights you go out with friends. No need to stay home and be a martyr

My boyfriend is mono (by choice, not interested in finding other partners) and It was 4 years before my husband found someone who he was interested in dating (she was, they've been dating a year). I don't know how much that length of time was related to him finding someone he wanted to date/building self-confidence to do so/etc. vs. him being a married man. He was never turned down by other women.

I will say that he never actively dated to find Taylor. They simply met at work, became friends, and then started dating.

Sorry to hear how frustrating it's been for you. It was hard on Roger too - mainly because he saw how happy dating Jack made me and how much I grew as a person with Jack and he wanted to experience that too.

Hubby is mono. Technically his side of our marriage is also open, but he chooses not to exercise the option.

S2, during the time we were considering ourselves in a relationship, also chose not to see anyone else (other than one date last fall). He said he didn't have time, plus the thought of seeing another woman made him feel like he would be cheating on me even though he knew better. Right now he isn't seeing anyone (we're "just friends" and platonic) and he still hasn't determined whether he's going to aim for polyamory or monogamy when he starts dating again.

I am in a poly-fi MFM V, so, while none of us are dating anyone new, it's still true that each of the guys only has one partner while she has two partners.

There was a time when that bothered me, and I spent a lot of time on OKC. That didn't work out well for me. I have since then decided I am okay with the one partner after all.

Yep...

I'm finding that this is a lot more common than not. My fiancé and I have been in the lifestyle for about 3 years, and while he has sexual and emotional relationships with other women, I don't have anything to do with the opposite sex, aside from him. I don't know what it's like in other places, but where I'm at, the lady pond is pretty shallow. So, consequently, my fiancé ends up with way more attention and dates out than I do. I get so frustrated sometimes, not necessarily because other women are getting his attention, but because I can't find my own outside of our relationship. But, I keep trudging on, hoping to find someone that would be accepting of my relationship and the fact that she would not be the primary.

...the fact that she would not be the primary.

And maybe that's why Roger and I have found the partners that we have. We do not practice hierarchical poly. Jack's relationship with me is absolutely not secondary to my marriage, nor is Roger's relationship with Taylor.

Perhaps consider what you are offering to your potential partners. I personally would not date someone who considered me "secondary" and I do everything in my power to make sure neither of my partners feel this way either.

We're not exactly one sided open. My partner, Blue, dates and has other relationships with women. He & I were in a triad for about 6 months with another woman. And, I've been on a couple dates with other guys, talked to a few women on dating sites. But, I just don't have the time, desire, or emotional energy for another relationship at this time so I've stopped looking. I won't lie... it's difficult at times, but with lots of patience, communication, and love, it's working for us.

I'm finding that this is a lot more common than not. My fiancé and I have been in the lifestyle for about 3 years, and while he has sexual and emotional relationships with other women, I don't have anything to do with the opposite sex, aside from him. I don't know what it's like in other places, but where I'm at, the lady pond is pretty shallow. So, consequently, my fiancé ends up with way more attention and dates out than I do. I get so frustrated sometimes, not necessarily because other women are getting his attention, but because I can't find my own outside of our relationship. But, I keep trudging on, hoping to find someone that would be accepting of my relationship and the fact that she would not be the primary.

That's why u started dating men. I would have preferred a female partner but I haven't met any women that i liked. Extremely small dating poo. All the women in our area are unicorn hunter or swingers for the most part. l

Last edited:
Back