Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 07-04-2018, 12:55 AM

My two cents?

People differ in myriad ways..., temperament, "style," approach, attitude, and on and on.... Often one type cannot even begin to imagine the other type 'from the inside'.

If I were to meet someone I really, really like, and they feel the same way, I'm going to really really want to see them more frequently than twice a month or less. And probably for more time than an hour or two (rushed). It's difficult for me to see it as "a relationship" if folks get together no more than twice a month for a couple of hours. To me, things -- like getting to know one another -- requires time. And not a little time. A lot of time.

But that's how I approach things that matter. I give them lots of room to breathe and lots of time.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:34 PM

I find that my main issue with time is that my schedule is opposite that of my partners. My nesting partner works mornings from like 5am to 9:30am. The new guy I am talking to usually works more of a traditional schedule of 9-5 and then I work evenings from like 2:30-11 generally and I also work weekends. Until very recently I also worked 7am-9am M-F so I would sleep during the day between shifts. I am hoping that by dropping that job I will have more free time, at least during the summer until classes start up again in the fall.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauhajoule View Post
...I follow BlueBird's blog and am simply blown away by how much she manages to do every week...
Me too! Just reading her blog exhausts me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauhajoule View Post
How do y'all find the time for everything? Is there just a lot of doing life activities with partners? Is there a lot of kitchen table poly? Is there a lot of co-habitation? Is there just not a lot of other life activities happening?
I work 70-80 hours a week and take call every 4th night. My boys live with me and don't work outside of the home, so they are mostly always at home when I am (although not necessarily AWAKE ). They take care of everything else at home - I just work and pay bills. We don't have kids, we have a couple of pets.

My best friend and I talk most days and get together a few times a week, usually I stop by on my way home from work for dinner or drinks. (She has kids).

I get really stressed if I have too much on my schedule outside of work. I like a fair amount of alone time (generally when the boys are sleeping or we are all just doing stuff on our computers). Our hobbies are generally time flexible and can be done alone or together depending on interest. Reading, music, home improvement stuff, movies, eating good food and drinking good beer.

When one of us is dating that does mean that we may have to pay attention to schedules more (depending on how many of our vehicles Dude has up and running at any given time ). Kitchen-table poly and cohabitation certainly make things that much easier for us. Most of my "others" have been more FWBs or lover-friends and friendly with all of us.
SLeW: platonic hetero girlfriend and BFF
MrClean: hetero mono male, almost ex-lover-friend, ex-FWBs to SLeW, friends with MrS; live-in with Katniss
+ "others" = FBs, FWBs, lover-friends, platonic G/BFs, boytoys, etc.

My poly blogs here:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe
Old 07-09-2018, 09:43 PM

I can't answer your question, but I can understand you. I also identify more with solo-poly at moment.