Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2017, 10:19 AM

Default Do you date knowing it may be short term? (Triad)

I am getting involved in my third triad. New relations energy (NRE) is always exciting as the rush of possibilities unfold. Lots of communication x2 and hot sex of course which will be together and separate. Conversations both overlapping and individual.

Each of us has long term spouses / significant others and it occurred to me that 3 people outside our triad has influence as to whether and how this can continue on top of the complexity of three people dating. Long term success rates are questionable.

I don't guard myself from falling in love. I am not cautious and I proceed into relationships however it unfolds. With the high highs I may have the low lows. The longer I date, the more disappointed or heartbroken I will be.

I am curious to know if you go into relationships knowing they may be short term. Accept whatever love for however long or you divert in anticipation of the let down?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:22 AM

I don't go in for one night hookups but I accept that relationships might only last a few weeks, or a few months, or one year.

I was in a 30 year relationship that outlasted its "use by date" by a good decade. So I didn't expect super long term relationships when I split from my husband.

Lo and behold, I met my dear partner almost as soon as I was single. And it's been 8+ year now. Otherwise, I have had 3 relationship of 2+ years (one was long distance). The other relationships have lasted less than a year. I consider a relationship of 7 months or so to be long enough to have been successful and well worth the effort.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

Mags (poly, F, 63), dating... again!
Pixi (poly, F, 41) my darling nesting partner since January 2009
Master, (mono, M, 37), Pixi's Dom/bf since April 2013
Old 06-22-2017, 11:05 PM
Official Greeter

I don't really do dating, other than with my existing partner. But I suppose in theory, I would not mind going into a short-term relationship. As long as it was pleasant while it lasted.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Banned

I've always sorta felt that dating is usually going to be short-term, a way to get to know someone better.

But then, I see "dating" as "going out & doing fun stuff with an interesting person." A date might lead to other stuff, but that is not the date itself.

I've had recurring sex partners that(in my definition) I never actually dated. If I mean f*ucking, I say "f*ucking."

Tags
dating, triads