A general discussion about redheads

bella123456

I'm interested in this as I have red hair. And it has come up elsewhere.

I've had partners that are almost fetish-like in their red-haired devotion. I've also come across people who say "oh, are people scared of you because they think you are deeply, seriously big with your emotional state ?"

ie. an expectation that all may be extreme (anger, passion etc). I'm interested in sterotypes I guess, and investigations as to basis of them..

And there are some interesting studies about pain thresholds etc. It does seems weird, but there may be some genetic differences when it comes to us. I've also read of it being a "defective" gene...

And you only need to change a few letters to make that word "effective" :)

thoughts ?

I enjoy occasionally being able to rely on the old stereotype of being "blonde," when I want something explained more or in a different way, because it affords some humor and helps me reach my goal. Generally though, I think stereotypes are bad, because giving them any credence prevents one from looking beneath the surface for understanding. Stereotyping is a lazy way of perceiving others. There is nothing about my hair color that gives you clues about my personality, level of intelligence, or depth of feeling. At best, if one has gray hair, you may be able to guess they are no longer in their twenties, but even then, you'd sometimes be wrong.

I can understand the interest. I find astrology interesting. I like symbolism in general. I just don't give it much credence:)

You know there are actually groups that have a hate on for redheads... or gingers.

I just did a search for "ginger haters" sad, very sad... lots more there than I actually thought there would be.:(

I wonder if the stereotypical image of the "hot tempered redhead" has something to do with the old notions of the body being controlled by balances of humours... red = fire = yellow bile (srsly) = easily angered.

I've not heard about the redhead gene being "defective" but do know that it's pretty unusual in being both recessive and dominant (it can hide away for generations, but once it emerges it's there for a looooong time).

I do tend to find redheads more immediately attractive than other women. No idea why.

I LOVE redheads!
LOVE red hair.

WISH I'd been born with redhair.

And I LOVE freckles!!!

Oh that dewy, soft, white skin with little freckles taking over! OMG.

:eek:

Groups that dislike redheads = very sad indeed.

Also agree that stereotypes are not that helpful.

But the studies on pain thresholds are interesting as there seems to be indications that a gene linked to hair colour also has some sort of link to how someone feels pain......or more basically - feeling in general.

Which would seem to indicate at some level that there could in fact be a physical basis to a stereotype...Which could, of course, potentially be true of all sorts of physical attributes.

Dangerous conversation though. Years ago scientists were determined to discover the "gay gene"...and I feel there is merit in understanding but it's only a thin line from wanting understanding and knowledge to various groups with narrow agendas wanting to "fix" what they see as a problem.

The science itself is not a problem, but the application of it can be at the whim of various groups with various agendas. Discrimination with a touch of flimsy science behind it is a dangerous, unpleasant, hateful thing..

And cheers to those who write with appreciation of redheads :)

Groups that dislike redheads = very sad indeed.

Also agree that stereotypes are not that helpful.

Just a quick note. You can blame the ginger men who feed the stereotype. I know a few, and they all fit the stereotype. Either by choice or by nature. I don't know. This is 100% of the gingers I know. Mind you its a handful of people.

And...I think, every red headed female I know describes themselves as firecrackers, or angry or some other term to enlighten us to their temperaments.

So, maybe its own group needs to start debunking its stereotypes.

Ftr...I have a thing for red heads. I have never met one into me. Luckily I have been with women who fit the red head stereotype...I haven't ever regretted it either...:D:D:D

I spent most of my teens and early twenties being the blonde with big boobs. OMG the stereo types! All very annoying. Its like I wasn't even allowed to have an intelligent conversation.

I have been a redhead by choice now for years.

So much for blondes having more fun! :p

I'm a redhead - both ... assisted.... and naturally (strawberry blonde - I prefer my hair to be startling though)...

To the stereotype - I am passionate, quick to anger - quick to forgive, otherwise generally bouncy and happy-go-lucky :p

my pain tolerance is huge... although conversely my ability to feel pain is just as huge - once i do feel the pain... it can be overwhelming. (that goes for both emotional and physical pain)

Thanks flamecat and ohiogirl...that's exactly the sort of stuff I wanted to hear. General stuff about how stereotypes influence us...

or where we sit/don't sit in relation to them. It's interesting that stereotypes even exist...and that they could shape us in some way/s.

In some ways, I feel I also fit the stereotype of a redhead. I don't consider myself as someone with a fiery temper...but you would not ever be unaware if I were pissed.
In one situation I poured soup on someone's head whilst upset. The soup had well and truly cooled down though...it was actually cold, so it was only pride that was injured !
it's now quietly referred to as "the minestrone incident" :)

And the same goes with sex. There's been too many people comment on the difference and suggest it's b/c of my red hair. I've pretty much tried to reject that idea...it would seem ridiculous really. Surely not !

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts if they have ever felt stereotyped in some way on the basis of a physical trait.

There's a weight conversation going on...so maybe there's other physical traits that have had influence ?

I love long red hair and pale skin on a woman. Most redheads I've met have actually been very pretty. Guys, not so much. Though I have a good Metalhead friend of mine who actually has tanned skin and not many freckles at all and he looks cool. I reckon he gets many of the ladies. ;D I'd definitely say I have a bit of a fetish to a cute redhead though. =] More so than other hair colours and even more so with pale skin. But the only readhead I've been with dyed her hair black, which was a shame really.

wow as a new guy and red head and to learn there are groups that hate me or just my hair quite a shock. Never had that reaction, most women like it or at least their have been women who where bold enough to come up and say something about it. As for the temper its hard for me to judge. Although my parents might have opinion . I think it takes a lot to get me to really blow. Others may disagree their not red headed, As I get older its getting lighter and lighter someday white I'm sure. My daughter has the same she has really thick and people come up to her all the time to compliment her, I always tell her your welcome.

wow as a new guy and red head and to learn there are groups that hate me or just my hair quite a shock. Never had that reaction, most women like it or at least their have been women who where bold enough to come up and say something about it. As for the temper its hard for me to judge. Although my parents might have opinion . I think it takes a lot to get me to really blow. Others may disagree their not red headed, As I get older its getting lighter and lighter someday white I'm sure. My daughter has the same she has really thick and people come up to her all the time to compliment her, I always tell her your welcome.

Well in the turn of being hated, you are also a fetish. Their are entire groups on fetlife (a facebook for fetishists)...dedicated to red head loving. :)

Well in the turn of being hated, you are also a fetish. Their are entire groups on fetlife (a facebook for fetishists)...dedicated to red head loving. :)

the shit learn in any given day. I can tell as young boy who had bad habit of getting himself in trouble you'll always get picked out of line up. My first trip to Ireland I thought if I ever do something really stupid and need to hide I 'm going there.

the shit learn in any given day. I can tell as young boy who had bad habit of getting himself in trouble you'll always get picked out of line up. My first trip to Ireland I thought if I ever do something really stupid and need to hide I 'm going there.
Irish girls with red hair. There is definitely a huuuuge soft spot there for me. =P

Copied from My Personal Blog:

Thought I would add this, just for fun.
I copied it from my personal blog.
LOL, Just sayin.... :p

Vicki Vale

Bethany Cabe

Pepper Potts

Lana Lang

Mary Jane Watson

Jean Grey

Natalia “Natasha” Alianovna Romanova

Medusa

Samantha Eve Wilkins

Angelica Jones

Theresa Cassidy

Rachel Summers

and of course,

Jessica Rabbit.

Super Heroes Wives or Girlfriends who were Red Heads.

( Some of these girls were Super Heroes themselves!)

So… The odds are in my favor!

Just got to find me a guy in tights now….

Ohiogrl...I'm not wearing tights for ANY woman! Sorry. :p But if you have red hair.....All I can say is...wow.

Hey all, I checked in with my wife on the temper and other stuff as she has dated two other red heads before me. She thinks its more of a wives tale or folklore thing. Or at least it doesn't hold up in our cases. Instead of group that hate us red heads I wish I would have learned of some lush sun and sand filled island in which its people worship us red heads,... oh shit that wouldn't work I'd just get sun burned.

Ohiogrl, you could add Rita Haywood to your list. She was a red head back in the day.

I'm part of a pin up photo shoot and am taking her shoots to be my guide. I have long hunger hair that would look lovely all flowy and natural with a turquoise 50's style dress and yellow flowers in my hair. There are pictures of Rita in this style on the net.

Can't wait! Its a lot of fun posing and primping, but exhausting!
Fun weekend ahead.

Back