Vincent Kartheiser from Mad Men discusses non-monogamy

It doesn't surprise me that he's non-monogamous. Honestly I imagine as a celeb with a lot of success it could be trying to be as traditionally mono as you're programmed to be or by nature are very much so.

This was my favourite part though:

"What am I actually saying to you? I don’t want you to be with anyone else because that has to do with me how? It has to do with my ego because I want to believe that there’s no one that you could ever want in the world other than me? Fuck me! I’m not that good, man. And, you know, even if I am that good, you might have a really romantic night in Italy with some guy who like, you know, blows your mind and shows you things and draws a painting of you or a mural of you on a wall, and kisses you and like I’m gonna make you feel guilty about that? Or I’m gonna make you cry or stop a romantic moment because I…I own your vagina?"

I think on a base level I've felt like this (probably since I've known anything about myself) and not even realized it until now. Just did what everyone else did.

Easily the best part of the interview!

"I'm gonna make you cry or stop a romantic moment because I...I own your vagina?" Hahaha

True story: I Own My Own Vagina

I liked the part about how women leave men when they find a better mate less, though. Although I agree a lot of people do that (male or female, really), it bothered me a little bit that it kind of sounded like he was saying "that's their way of not being monogamous" when the way I see it, leaving someone to be with someone else is being monogamous, since you're only with one of them at a time.

I liked how he talked about the bus and animals, too. I liked it less when he commented that he was never approached by attractive women.

My favourite poly-related sentence was the same as you guys, but he's being a bit polier-than-thou there. Some people ARE monogamous, it doesn't make them bad people, I don't think.

My favourite poly-related sentence was the same as you guys, but he's being a bit polier-than-thou there. Some people ARE monogamous, it doesn't make them bad people, I don't think.

Yeah, I'm not down with that train of thought either, which is why I left it out of my post lol. He probably coulda made it more palatable by referring to himself only and not monogamy as an overarching detriment to the world.

Awesome, incredible interview! I didn`t know him, but now I do. Thanks for posting. :)

I really enjoy the part where he talks about Jon Hamm, and how he (Vince) is not bothered by pretty women. He seems to be at peace within his league.

I also enjoyed the part about female biology, and the female being attracted to diametrically opposite guys depending on their reproductive cycle.
I think men are attractive in two basic ways. There are cute men (the ones I like and relate to), and there are tall, squared jaw men that the most attractive women like and are supposed to like.

Unfortunately, for the cute guys, it seems like females want to fuck the tall, chiseled, guy and marry the cute guy. Yet, he`s not a marrier, and seems to be comfortable being the cute guy. I think that`s awesome! :D

Yeah, I'm not down with that train of thought either, which is why I left it out of my post lol. He probably coulda made it more palatable by referring to himself only and not monogamy as an overarching detriment to the world.

I agree. He did come off a bit as "I'm more enlightened than people who are monogamous," when he should hopefully understand that not every shoe fits every foot.

Awesome, incredible interview! I didn`t know him, but now I do. Thanks for posting. :)

You're welcome!

I also enjoyed the part about female biology, and the female being attracted to diametrically opposite guys depending on their reproductive cycle.

I've heard this before. I've also read that when we're looking for a mate we're attracted to someone whose immune system is vastly different from our own. So that when we're talking about pheromones we're actually talking about the smell of someone else's immune system. We want to mate with people whose immune systems are very different because then our offspring is likely to be immune to more diseases. When women are pregnant or not looking for someone to mate with they're more attracted to a person with a similar immune system because it smells like family to them (because we all have similar immune systems to our family); it's comforting, it's safe. Women are supposed to be better at smelling immune systems than men.

I've heard this before. I've also read that when we're looking for a mate we're attracted to someone whose immune system is vastly different from our own. So that when we're talking about pheromones we're actually talking about the smell of someone else's immune system. We want to mate with people whose immune systems are very different because then our offspring is likely to be immune to more diseases. When women are pregnant or not looking for someone to mate with they're more attracted to a person with a similar immune system because it smells like family to them (because we all have similar immune systems to our family); it's comforting, it's safe. Women are supposed to be better at smelling immune systems than men.
Interesting, that seems to sort of retool the bad boy vs. nice guy dichotomy. Which, I guess, is the female`s own version of the virgin-whore complex.

And, to my mind, it certainly blows the women are less interested in male physical beauty or casual sex out of water.

I know that, personally, because now that I have had a significant amount of sexual experience and am able to look back; I realize what being short did to my ability to have casual sex with women. Yet, women have constantly tried to commit to me, in spite of my protestations.

Last edited:
Back